C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Unintended automatic trunk closing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 09:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 C300
Unintended automatic trunk closing

While reaching into the trunk my kick activated trunk closing shut on me. There was a beep and then very fast bam, struck me and kept trying to close. I would think for safety sake it would have been easier to stop its movement but it was pretty difficult to stop its forward progress.

Didn’t search this C class forum or other models that have kick activated trunk feature but anyone ever have this happen or hear of it being a problem?

Called MBUSA and they are investigating. I need to bring into the dealer for them to check it out.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:42 AM

2019 C300
Tried to do a search on the forum for this issue and did see another instance but a lot of unrelated results to sort through.

Doctor said I should reduce screen time to a minimum to heal damage faster so can't search anymore without exacerbating my headache.

Even though I knew (and know not to move foot under sensor) the fact that the trunk moves so fast, does not reverse, and is on hair trigger was going to take a trip with this car but having to load and unload trunk is taking too much risk for me in getting hurt.

Anyone have any info on this unintended trunk closing and/or how to disable?

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:07 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts
2016 C300W4 (W205), Luxury Pkg, Diamond Silver Met. and Silk Beige\Espresso Interior
From the (2016) C300 owners manual:

Obstruction recognition with trunk lid reversing feature
Vehicles with trunk lid remote closing feature:
The trunk lid is equipped with automatic obstruction detection with a reversing feature. If a solid object blocks or restricts the trunk lid when automatically opening, this procedure is stopped. If a solid object blocks or restricts the trunk lid when automatically closing, the trunk lid opens again automatically. The automatic obstruction detection with reversing feature is only an aid. It is not a substitute for your atten- tiveness when opening and closing the trunk lid.

WARNING
The reversing feature does not react:
  • to soft, light and thin objects, e.g. small fingers
  • over the last 1/3 in (8 mm) of the closing movement
This means that the reversing feature cannot prevent someone being trapped in these sit- uations. There is a risk of injury.
Make sure that no body parts are in close proximity during the closing procedure.
If somebody becomes trapped:
  • press the Trunk button on the SmartKey, or
  • pull or press the remote operating switch on the driver's door, or
  • press the closing or locking button on the trunk lid, or
  • pull on the trunk lid handle
It definitely sounds like a malfunction of the safety mechanism on your particular vehicle. Sorry to hear about your injuries, I wish you a full and speedy recovery!
Old 10-24-2019, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,884 Likes on 2,599 Posts
2019 C63CS
It's certainly possible for this to happen if your legs are far enough away from the bumper (min. 12") and you make a kicking motion. The owner's manual actually lists several situations that could lead to unintended opening or closing of the trunk, including while washing the car. The general advise is to disable KEYLESS-GO or do not carry the SmartKey about your person while loading etc. that could potentially lead to unintended closing of the trunk. However, as posted above, there are safety mechanisms, and your dealer should verify that they are working correctly.

The following users liked this post:
diamondsilver16 (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 09:16 PM

2019 C300
Thanks guys. I read that too.

I’ll reply with what the dealer finds out after checking the vehicle.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:21 AM

2019 C300
Update:

Car has been at the dealer for over a week. They are performing tests on the trunk as prescribed by MBUSA. Dealer cannot provide any information to me about the results of the diagnostics, except to say that the technician was almost hit in the head from the very sensitive trunk closing.

Calls to MBUSA are extremely frustrating. They won't provide any information either but say that they will need to review the results and conclude their investigation. This could take another week and half or so.

We do have a service loaner but are not allowed to drive out of state. So upcoming trip cannot use this car.

Anyone have experience with a MBUSA investigation process?
Old 11-13-2019, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 535 Posts
c
Originally Posted by Coffee_break
Update:

Car has been at the dealer for over a week. They are performing tests on the trunk as prescribed by MBUSA. Dealer cannot provide any information to me about the results of the diagnostics, except to say that the technician was almost hit in the head from the very sensitive trunk closing.

Calls to MBUSA are extremely frustrating. They won't provide any information either but say that they will need to review the results and conclude their investigation. This could take another week and half or so.

We do have a service loaner but are not allowed to drive out of state. So upcoming trip cannot use this car.

Anyone have experience with a MBUSA investigation process?
it's a safety liability issue with the way you phrased it. they are probably doing such to not get sued etc.

pretty sure you can have the loaner out of state - just call the service advisor and get approval.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C300 4Matic
Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I’m having the exact same problem. Got whacked in the head today by my trunk trying to close as I was placing groceries in the trunk. I think my foot triggered it but it should have detected my head there and not closed on me! Did you ever get a resolution to this problem?
Old 11-04-2021, 10:12 PM

2019 C300
Originally Posted by Jmorgans
Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I’m having the exact same problem. Got whacked in the head today by my trunk trying to close as I was placing groceries in the trunk. I think my foot triggered it but it should have detected my head there and not closed on me! Did you ever get a resolution to this problem?
Sorry that happened to you and hope you are ok. Be prepared for the dealer/corporate to do some testing and conclude that the trunk is operating as it was designed.

At first the dealer agreed that the trunk closed when it should not have. The service manager told us that the repair technician was almost bonked on the head but managed to dodge the rapidly closing lid. Enter Corporate and then the manager did not remember telling us this very specific account of what happened.

After a couple weeks of the car in the shop and many phone calls/e-mails to Corporate Safety we had no recourse but to accept their erroneous conclusion. The car trunk remains very dangerous and we are always wary of reaching in to load or unload while we have the vehicle key on our person. The trunk closes extremely rapidly with more force than is necessary and will not stop it it hits something (like a body part). Be careful- it's not the best or nothing.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:12 AM

2014 C300 4Matic
Thanks for the update! No significant
injury fortunately, but it’s definitely jarring getting bonked on the head when you don’t expect it. Based on your experience it doesn’t sound worth pursuing. I have a year left on the lease so I will do my best to protect my head for that time and likely move on after that.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:13 AM

2019 C300
Thanks for the update! No significant
injury fortunately, but it’s definitely jarring getting bonked on the head when you don’t expect it. Based on your experience it doesn’t sound worth pursuing. I have a year left on the lease so I will do my best to protect my head for that time and likely move on after that.
I would at least let Corporate Safety know that the closing design with high trunk force and lack of reversing is a definite safety hazard.

In hindsight I should have pursued it further to at least get my medical bills covered but I’m not the litigious type. They made it so difficult to communicate with them that I gave up to reduce my stress and focus on my recovery.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:30 AM

2014 C300 4Matic
I would at least let Corporate Safety know that the closing design with high trunk force and lack of reversing is a definite safety hazard.

In hindsight I should have pursued it further to at least get my medical bills covered but I’m not the litigious type. They made it so difficult to communicate with them that I gave up to reduce my stress and focus on my recovery.
I will definitely bring it to their attention. Perhaps if enough people complain something will be done about it. If you happen to have their contact info, please pass it on.

Sorry to hear that you physically suffered from this. Definitely hold on to those bills- you never know what kind of recall or class action suit there could be even years later.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:53 PM

2019 C300
I will definitely bring it to their attention. Perhaps if enough people complain something will be done about it. If you happen to have their contact info, please pass it on.

Sorry to hear that you physically suffered from this. Definitely hold on to those bills- you never know what kind of recall or class action suit there could be even years later.
https://mercedes-benz.custhelp.com/a...QvOGZCTFBycHA=

Old 03-09-2022, 06:41 PM

E300
This just happened to me this morning!! OUCH and it left a good size bump on my head. I called Mercedes customer service, the guy on the phone had the audacity to tell me in the 10 years he's been there, he's NEVER heard of such complaint. I don't know where I can even take this, it is surely a safety hazard and I'm now ready to ditch my MB because I don't want to be loading or unloading groceries with elevated blood pressure every time!!
Old 03-09-2022, 06:54 PM

2019 C300
Originally Posted by Tweetybird
This just happened to me this morning!! OUCH and it left a good size bump on my head. I called Mercedes customer service, the guy on the phone had the audacity to tell me in the 10 years he's been there, he's NEVER heard of such complaint. I don't know where I can even take this, it is surely a safety hazard and I'm now ready to ditch my MB because I don't want to be loading or unloading groceries with elevated blood pressure every time!!
Sorry this happened to another person. There is obviously a safety problem and MB is denying this issue. You need to definitely file a complaint with MB safety department.

This car trunk is a danger. It swings hard, fast, and without warning. Not to mention it does not stop moving when it hits you.

I will never buy a MB again. The best or nothing….
Old 09-06-2022, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63 (2021)
Sorry this happened to another person. There is obviously a safety problem and MB is denying this issue. You need to definitely file a complaint with MB safety department.

This car trunk is a danger. It swings hard, fast, and without warning. Not to mention it does not stop moving when it hits you.

I will never buy a MB again. The best or nothing….
Hi, happened to me number of times already on my E63 (2021). Kids running around the back of the car, or whatever else moving sufficiently quickly from one side of vehicle to the other (including me or animal), will trigger it. I googled it here on the forum and just quick overview of how prevalent the problem is1) https://bit.ly/3BhpUIA

(2) https://bit.ly/3wYhPWm

(3) https://bit.ly/3KMxAWp

(4) https://bit.ly/3TJT5Lk

(5) https://bit.ly/3cSp4Zl

(6) https://bit.ly/3BgFELN
There are two "workarounds" now, none of them obviously solving the problem and thus unacceptable as long-term solution.

(A) deactivate the key by 2 quick successive presses on LOCK button on the key. This, however, will lock the car too...And the moment you unlock the car all key functionalities are reactivated.
(B) not keep keys on you when in the back. This is super annoying as you have to remember to keep keys in the car (or on the roof or somewhere...), unload everything on the sidewalk , then go in the car to get keys, get kids away from the car and then lock it.

I talked to dealership in Czech republic about this back in March,they told me that kick-under-the-bumper-to-open function cannot be deactivated. Then I began to be super paranoid about the keys, especially with kids around, but during weekend I had the keys on, my son ran behind me when I was unloading and the trunk closed by itself (I evaded it).

Today, I sent another message to AMG forum and will contact customer service website of MB here in CZ. I will insist on Keyless-go functionality to be turned off as I cannot take the risk of kids getting harmed by the trunk (the force needed to stop the trunk lid is not small). I suggest you do the same to raise awareness of what is clearly a safety risk.

BTW, on AUDI e-tron, it seems possible to disable it with diagnostics: https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/7...deleven-tweaks

Coffee_break (09-06-2022)
Old 09-12-2023, 06:29 AM

E63 (2021)
Hi, hopefully this will help: I finally got Mercedes in Czech republic do disable the kick-to-open / close function of the trunk. They would not tell me whether this is software or hardware change (i.e., physically unplugging anything) but they did manage to disable it. No other function has been compromised, i.e. all works as before. Happy about it now.
Coffee_break (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 06:58 AM

2019 C300
Originally Posted by drakdraken
Hi, hopefully this will help: I finally got Mercedes in Czech republic do disable the kick-to-open / close function of the trunk. They would not tell me whether this is software or hardware change (i.e., physically unplugging anything) but they did manage to disable it. No other function has been compromised, i.e. all works as before. Happy about it now.
Thanks for the update. Good for you for persevering.

Wish I had kept insisting on a remedy like this. Always paranoid when the grand kids are around the vehicle trunk.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,602 Likes on 2,212 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by drakdraken
Hi, happened to me number of times already on my E63 (2021). Kids running around the back of the car, or whatever else moving sufficiently quickly from one side of vehicle to the other (including me or animal), will trigger it. I googled it here on the forum and just quick overview of how prevalent the problem is1) https://bit.ly/3BhpUIA

(2) https://bit.ly/3wYhPWm

(3) https://bit.ly/3KMxAWp

(4) https://bit.ly/3TJT5Lk

(5) https://bit.ly/3cSp4Zl

(6) https://bit.ly/3BgFELN
There are two "workarounds" now, none of them obviously solving the problem and thus unacceptable as long-term solution.

(A) deactivate the key by 2 quick successive presses on LOCK button on the key. This, however, will lock the car too...And the moment you unlock the car all key functionalities are reactivated.
(B) not keep keys on you when in the back. This is super annoying as you have to remember to keep keys in the car (or on the roof or somewhere...), unload everything on the sidewalk , then go in the car to get keys, get kids away from the car and then lock it.

I talked to dealership in Czech republic about this back in March,they told me that kick-under-the-bumper-to-open function cannot be deactivated. Then I began to be super paranoid about the keys, especially with kids around, but during weekend I had the keys on, my son ran behind me when I was unloading and the trunk closed by itself (I evaded it).

Today, I sent another message to AMG forum and will contact customer service website of MB here in CZ. I will insist on Keyless-go functionality to be turned off as I cannot take the risk of kids getting harmed by the trunk (the force needed to stop the trunk lid is not small). I suggest you do the same to raise awareness of what is clearly a safety risk.

BTW, on AUDI e-tron, it seems possible to disable it with diagnostics: https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/7...deleven-tweaks
Third option would be to turn on valet mode (in the glovebox).
Old 09-18-2023, 08:53 AM

E63 (2021)
Thanks for the update. Good for you for persevering.

Wish I had kept insisting on a remedy like this. Always paranoid when the grand kids are around the vehicle trunk.
Seems like with all these brands (Porsche, MB, BMW) you need to be more persistent than with Skoda. Just what I noticed from my experience and experience of others around me.