C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Multimedia package upgrade - void warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 06:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura TSX
Multimedia package upgrade - void warranty?

I’ve found the perfect vehicle (finally). I almost purchased it yesterday and then I realized it has every single option the C300 can have.. except the MM package.

I’ve spent some time in the forums and it seems people do upgrade but it can be a hassle. I’ve also seen all different types of costs. After I walked away from the vehicle they dropped the cost $1000 and are now trying to get me to come back.

Simple question - does upgrading it void the warranty? Can it be done through Mercedes and what kind of ridiculous sum of money am I looking at then? If not through Mercedes, anyone with personal experience on this upgrade.. and advice on how much it should cost (I am in Texas).

the vehicle has 9 months left on the original warranty by the way. I keep finding cars either without the ambient lighting or without the MM package... not sure if the ambient lighting is easier to install.

Appreciate all responses.

Last edited by MB2016c300; 11-13-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You would be better served by considering a aftermarket/amp/speaker upgrade to the Audio 20 system in the car - a COMMAND upgrade at the dealer is not possible - and "transplant" cost to move a pre-owned COMAND system to that C300 would be much/much more.

Since you mentioned "9 mo left on warranty" - you are better served shopping a MB dealer for Mercedes Certified with 1yr added Mercedes Certified Warranty on top for about the same price or just a bit more..
Old 11-15-2019, 07:11 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2016 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by MB2016c300
I’ve found the perfect vehicle (finally). I almost purchased it yesterday and then I realized it has every single option the C300 can have.. except the MM package.

I’ve spent some time in the forums and it seems people do upgrade but it can be a hassle. I’ve also seen all different types of costs. After I walked away from the vehicle they dropped the cost $1000 and are now trying to get me to come back.

Simple question - does upgrading it void the warranty? Can it be done through Mercedes and what kind of ridiculous sum of money am I looking at then? If not through Mercedes, anyone with personal experience on this upgrade.. and advice on how much it should cost (I am in Texas).

the vehicle has 9 months left on the original warranty by the way. I keep finding cars either without the ambient lighting or without the MM package... not sure if the ambient lighting is easier to install.

Appreciate all responses.
So to answer your questions - MB will likely not entertain upgrading it for you. If they did i'm sure they'd charge upwards of $2000 to do so. Upgrading the mm system yourself wouldn't necessarily void your warranty unless it damaged something in the process, in which case the damage wouldn't be covered. However, the likelihood of you damaging anything is low. Just remember that whatever you add in terms of audio equipment obviously is outside the envelope of the warranty.

Does it just have the audio20 system? Like the other poster said, you can upgrade the amp and speakers for significantly better sound than the Burmeister system. If you're disappointed because you wanted the navi system I wouldn't worry about that either. The COMAND and Garmin MB offerings both suck, however you should check if the car you want is carplay ready, or consider upgrading it to carplay yourself.

As for ambient lighting, there are a couple crafty people on here who have installed their own, and there are aftermarket kits for it. Pulling the center console apart is not hard at all. You would encounter difficulties adding it to the doors IMHO.

Bottom line, if you really want the car and the only thing holding you back is the audio then just buy it and upgrade it to your liking. There are enough options out there now that you can tweak those little things.