C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2016 C300 Sport Burmester Sound System Speaker Crackles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2019 | 08:02 PM

C300
2016 C300 Sport Burmester Sound System Speaker Crackles

Hi everyone!

A few months back I purchased a CPO 2016 C300 Sport with 15k miles and the Burmester sound system. I kept noticing a crackling noise during the pauses between dialogue during podcasts and when switching songs. It sounds like crumpling a piece of plastic and it jumps between the two front speakers. Here's a video of the sound (make sure your volume is up). Interestingly enough, it happens whether you're playing something or not and on all inputs. You can start the car up, sit there, and the noise will emerge. It's worth noting that it doesn't happen every time and it's seemingly random (but pretty frequent).. Very frustrating.

I've been to the dealer multiple times. The first time, they changed the center channel speaker (despite saying that the center channel was not the issue). This time, they replaced the right front door speaker because, in addition to the cracking, it was making a vibrating noise during high frequencies. Turns out, even with a new speaker, it still makes the vibrating noise. They tested another 2016 C300 with the Burmester system and it made the same noise. This led them to test the other C300 for the crackling. Apparently, both cars make the same crackling noise. To me, this means they have two cars with a big issue, but to them, this means it's working as intended. So this is their answer: a car with a $50k sticker and the upgraded sound system just crackles and vibrates, and there's nothing they can do about it. They also inspected the amp for corrosion or any codes, but nothing raised any flags.

I'm wondering (1) does anyone else have this problem, (2) was there a solution, (3) and/or does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 11-19-2019 | 09:13 PM

2016 C 300 4matic Lunar blue
Mine is a 2016 C300 with Burmester. People say they don't like the Burmester system, but I have no problems, except a little more bass wouldn't be bad. I don't want more bass enough to install a sub woofer. There is no vibration, no crackle/static.
Old 11-20-2019 | 05:43 AM

C300 Sport W205
Speakers are buzzing from day 1

I have the same buzzing speakers from the very beginning and MB could t fix it. They first changed the center and after I contacted Burmaster Germany, they performed a “fix” that didn't fix anything. Burmaster is aware of this issue, since they stated, MB has a solutions for the buzzing.
There is a lot about these speakers in this forum.
I have 2016 with aluminum door trim, and I would say I need more high, the bass is too much. I drove 2019 C300 and it sounded different- more high and more crisp sound.

Attached is MB service invoice from this summer

Old 11-20-2019 | 10:03 AM

‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
I believe Benzdude may posted a fix for this.
Old 11-20-2019 | 12:28 PM

C300
Originally Posted by GreekUPS
I believe Benzdude may posted a fix for this.
Here's that thread for anyone interested. For me, the vibration is less of a problem. It's the crackling that's the real issue -- and that's coming directly from the speakers.
Old 11-20-2019 | 01:18 PM

C250
Originally Posted by BdSic
Hi everyone!

A few months back I purchased a CPO 2016 C300 Sport with 15k miles and the Burmester sound system. I kept noticing a crackling noise during the pauses between dialogue during podcasts and when switching songs. It sounds like crumpling a piece of plastic and it jumps between the two front speakers. Here's a video of the sound (make sure your volume is up). Interestingly enough, it happens whether you're playing something or not and on all inputs. You can start the car up, sit there, and the noise will emerge. It's worth noting that it doesn't happen every time and it's seemingly random (but pretty frequent).. Very frustrating.

I've been to the dealer multiple times. The first time, they changed the center channel speaker (despite saying that the center channel was not the issue). This time, they replaced the right front door speaker because, in addition to the cracking, it was making a vibrating noise during high frequencies. Turns out, even with a new speaker, it still makes the vibrating noise. They tested another 2016 C300 with the Burmester system and it made the same noise. This led them to test the other C300 for the crackling. Apparently, both cars make the same crackling noise. To me, this means they have two cars with a big issue, but to them, this means it's working as intended. So this is their answer: a car with a $50k sticker and the upgraded sound system just crackles and vibrates, and there's nothing they can do about it. They also inspected the amp for corrosion or any codes, but nothing raised any flags.

I'm wondering (1) does anyone else have this problem, (2) was there a solution, (3) and/or does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I had similar issue lie yours but mine was the foot well sub was making it so I took it to dealership 4 or 5 times each time there replaced some thing, foot well sub, front tweeter left, front speaker left and I keep telling them is not them is the amp and there said there never had issue with the amp

Any how finally there changed the amp and the issue was fixed so it might be the amp sending in the power to the speaker when is not needing

Try replacing the amp
Old 11-20-2019 | 01:53 PM

C300
Originally Posted by shan16
I had similar issue lie yours but mine was the foot well sub was making it so I took it to dealership 4 or 5 times each time there replaced some thing, foot well sub, front tweeter left, front speaker left and I keep telling them is not them is the amp and there said there never had issue with the amp

Any how finally there changed the amp and the issue was fixed so it might be the amp sending in the power to the speaker when is not needing

Try replacing the amp
Thanks! I just messaged the dealer asking them to change it. I would do it myself, but the amp is $1k.
Old 11-20-2019 | 02:13 PM

C250
Originally Posted by BdSic
Thanks! I just messaged the dealer asking them to change it. I would do it myself, but the amp is $1k.
Ya but it should be free and covered under warranty
Old 11-20-2019 | 02:14 PM

C300
Originally Posted by shan16
Ya but it should be free and covered under warranty
100% agree... but getting the dealer to do anything is like pulling teeth.
Old 11-20-2019 | 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
A funny story about the high frequency speaker noise.

I just replaced all of the speakers in my car with Audiotec-Fisher Match plug and play sets and decided to debug and fully take care all noises.

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/match/speakers/

I pulled one mid speaker off the door and plugged it in and played music with high frequency audio.

The speaker makes some of the HF noise when off the door.

it not as loud when off the door, but it's the speaker vibrating on highs. I had to put my ear very close to it. The new match mid speaker also does the same thing. Weird.

The metal trim clips will also vibrate, but I took care of that.

I've never heard any crackles.

Last edited by benzdude; 11-20-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2019 | 01:13 PM

C400
First narrow down the source

In my Escalade, it makes popping noises but only with BT audio, so check that all your sources are causing this, it maybe be something more source related
Old 11-21-2019 | 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by GringoBling
First narrow down the source

In my Escalade, it makes popping noises but only with BT audio, so check that all your sources are causing this, it maybe be something more source related
He is right. A few times I thought I heard crackles and pops while playing master quality songs from Tidal over BT in my car.

I just plug in my headphones to verify that it's coming from the song on my device and not my car.

I learned that the hard way. ​​
Old 11-21-2019 | 06:49 PM

C300
Thanks for all the info! This is definitely the car. The dealer confirmed that you can hear it on all inputs. I'm working with them to try to replace the amp, but they're being difficult and have had my car for two weeks. I'll keep you all posted.