C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Fuel System Diagram or other help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C 300 (W205)
Post Fuel System Diagram or other help?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any sort of diagram for the fuel system. My car will smell very strongly of fuel if I start it up on a cold morning and allow it to idle for a while. It seems to only do this when its cold though around the mid 40's and below. I've read in other threads that others have had issues with this. I plan on going through the car tomorrow morning when its cold to see if i notice anything. I read that some people have had issues with sending units under the seats? I'm not even sure if that's on this model, but i really feel that its under the hood and being drawn in through the air vents. Any help would be appreciated guys but I'm mostly just trying to get my hands on a schematic so i can know where all I should look. I appreciate it.
The following users liked this post:
Ocdrari DroGon (03-11-2020)
Old 12-12-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Just look inside the engine for wet,, or damp patch,, and that will be it. I did a search but they need engine type as a few types were futted into the C300 . Also as you car is doing this from cold it could be that the enrichment device is still on and running till its warmed up and if you start from cold like you did so it would smell very rich anyway .
Old 12-12-2019, 11:28 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2019 CLS450 (C257)
Originally Posted by jrsmithtsu
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any sort of diagram for the fuel system. My car will smell very strongly of fuel if I start it up on a cold morning and allow it to idle for a while. It seems to only do this when its cold though around the mid 40's and below. I've read in other threads that others have had issues with this. I plan on going through the car tomorrow morning when its cold to see if i notice anything. I read that some people have had issues with sending units under the seats? I'm not even sure if that's on this model, but i really feel that its under the hood and being drawn in through the air vents. Any help would be appreciated guys but I'm mostly just trying to get my hands on a schematic so i can know where all I should look. I appreciate it.
If you feel that the fuel smell is under the hood, please do check the high pressure fuel pump and the connecting fuel line.
I had a leak from there before, and you will only see the leak during cold starts. Once the engine is warmed up, the leak stops.

this is where the leak was during cold starts.

Location of High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) - Circled. Arrow points to where i initially spotted a pool of fuel...
The following 2 users liked this post by dagger22:
jrsmithtsu (12-17-2019), Ocdrari DroGon (03-11-2020)
Old 12-12-2019, 12:41 PM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Such a nice lump ! i like it .
Old 12-17-2019, 09:23 AM

C 300 (W205)
Originally Posted by dagger22
If you feel that the fuel smell is under the hood, please do check the high pressure fuel pump and the connecting fuel line.
I had a leak from there before, and you will only see the leak during cold starts. Once the engine is warmed up, the leak stops.

this is where the leak was during cold starts
Location of High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) - Circled. Arrow points to where i initially spotted a pool of fuel...
I appreciate the help, I found the area where it is. It's dripping right there on the driver's side onto the plastic skid plates(or whatever you call them). I'll have to get it off the ground to know for sure. But I'll be checking that as well, thank you.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts
2016 C300W4 (W205), Luxury Pkg, Diamond Silver Met. and Silk Beige\Espresso Interior
Now that the temps here in NorCal have dipped below 40 degrees, I am also seeing this same issue.

How was/is this not a safety recall? Dripping fuel into the engine compartment seems like a pretty big safety issue!

A google search of the symptom shows that this is a fairly common problem, at least in the 2015, 2016 years of the W205.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:21 PM

C 300 (W205)
Leak cost?

[QUOTE=dagger22;7925926]If you feel that the fuel smell is under the hood, please do check the high pressure fuel pump and the connecting fuel line.

Do you remember what the cost on this was to fix this?