C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

New car detail?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2015 | 02:01 PM

Ml350
New car detail?

Getting a new c250 delivered soon. Seen lots of online discussions re a detail being a must on a new car. Is this really necessary?
Old 02-01-2015 | 02:06 PM

From: Her Majesty's Glorious Midlands of the United Kingdom of Great Britain
2015 C220 AMG Premium Plus Estate (S205)
'It depends' is really the answer. Mine turned up pretty much perfect, with only a couple of minor swirls in the paint that were easily corrected by hand. But I've seen some brand new cars come out of a dealer looking like they were washed with sandpaper.

If you're going to have it protected with sealants such as the Gtechnic range or similar, then doing it from new is going to give the longest lasting results I guess.

Me, I just took out the little niggly bits by hand, stripped off the wax that was on it, and gave it two coats of my favourite. Sealed the wheels as well with Gtechnic C5 to make them easier to clean.
Old 02-01-2015 | 02:12 PM

VW Golf GTD
I would myself, as you would know that the detailer would do a first-rate job and wouldn't try and clean your car with a dirty sponge that had been used for five other cars that day and dropped three times.

It all depends on how fussy you are about the appearance of your newly delivered car. If you don't mind it being given a quick rinse and wipe, then let your dealer do it. If you want a professional to apply some fancy detailing product, then let the professional do it.
Old 02-01-2015 | 02:26 PM

Ml350
Thanks. I'm not overly picky. Was just planning on giving it a good wash and protect it with something like armor all extreme shield
The following users liked this post:
ill41 (12-19-2019)
Old 02-01-2015 | 02:42 PM

2015 C300 rwd sports, premium, lighting packages, hud, BS assist, rear cam, garmin
I have one on order and will be asking the dealer not to wash it when it arrives. Hope to avoid swirl marks
Old 02-01-2015 | 11:06 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by Raido31
I have one on order and will be asking the dealer not to wash it when it arrives. Hope to avoid swirl marks
I think they'll insist on it, as part of the PDI would be to check on paint damage, no?
Old 12-19-2019 | 03:22 PM

2019 C300 4Matic
Just took delivery of a new lease on a 2019 black c300. Got it at night during a rain storm, it rained for 4 days, then some snow. Finally got some decent weather now but cold ( under 10 degrees for a few days). This morning in the sunlight I noticed the entire car covered with swirl shaped looking scratches. What are my options? It's winter time....wash, wax, buff is really out at this time. Going back to the dealer will probably lead to more scratches.... Just ride it out until Spring? I hope these come out and I don't have a nasty surprise come lease turn in time.
Old 12-19-2019 | 03:37 PM

‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Originally Posted by Eric Schott
Just took delivery of a new lease on a 2019 black c300. Got it at night during a rain storm, it rained for 4 days, then some snow. Finally got some decent weather now but cold ( under 10 degrees for a few days). This morning in the sunlight I noticed the entire car covered with swirl shaped looking scratches. What are my options? It's winter time....wash, wax, buff is really out at this time. Going back to the dealer will probably lead to more scratches.... Just ride it out until Spring? I hope these come out and I don't have a nasty surprise come lease turn in time.
I would notify the dealership ASAP.
Old 12-19-2019 | 06:52 PM

1992 MB 190E, 2016 MB C300
I'm a hobbyist detailer detailing my family and friends cars. IMO, there is no rush to get it detailed. Any experienced detailer can bring it to perfection at almost any point. I think that it's worthwhile to consider a ceramic coating to insure long lasting beauty over other products such as sealants or wax. As with most services dealers try to sell coatings at excessive cost. It's worth shoping around and ask questions about the process and products.

Last edited by dennish; 12-19-2019 at 06:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ron P Baker (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019 | 09:04 PM

2016 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by Eric Schott
I have had a few black cars and love the look, pure badass class like Bond in a tuxedo. BUT I'm a perfectionist and find every imperfection that black highlights (and I'm hand washing it every other day).

Dealerships are notorious for using automated drive-through car wash's that they never maintain, clean or change the brushes on which leads to brand new vehicles with swirled paint like yours. I would wait until you are comfortable with the weather and have a detailer take care of it as dennish suggested.

You could ask the dealer to handle it and see what happens but, like you say, they aren't the most conscientious with the cars in their care.