C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

CPO issues with Dealers. NEED URGENT HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 12:33 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic
CPO issues with Dealers. NEED URGENT HELP!!!

Hello everyone!
I’m new here and just got my first Mercedes. 2016 C300 4matic with majority of the bells and whistles! Excited, yea I am!!!

I bought the vehicle from a private party, but he bought the car as a CPO from Barrington Mercedes Benz dealership. He sent me the VIN and the carfax with no issue, and informed me that he bought it as a CPO car, which also states that on the carfax. I luckily have a very good friend that works at another Mercedes dealership and sent him the VIN to check the car to make sure everything was all good and clean. Everything came back perfect.
I made the deal to purchase the car and everything! Yay me!

Today, I ended up taking my car to Hoffman Estates Mercedes dealership. I told them I bought the car for another individual and he bought it as CPO. I had all the CPO transfer paperwork completed with his signature and information and mine to present to get the CPO warranty under my name. I started speaking to the service advisor and he gave me attitude and sass as if I didn’t know anything about the car I have. I told him it is a CPO car because I have the carfax showing it, and there is a CPO sticker on the driver side door proving it. He plugged information into the computer and told me that there is nothing in the system showing that the car was ever a CPO car. I pulled up the carfax and showed him and he wouldn’t believe me. At that point I was losing my mind and he was basically done helping me.

I then drove straight to Barrington Mercedes to figure out what’s going on and why it doesn’t show up as a CPO car. They plugged in the VIN number and they too told me that the system doesn’t show the car as a CPO car. That’s when I started losing my mind once again. What was going on!? I started texting the seller, I bought the car from, and he’s like “I promise you I bought the car CPO. I gave you all the information you would need to show it. The VIN and carfax show that it’s a CPO car. It’s saddening that Mercedes themselves won’t believe you or the information you’ve provided.”

Now here I am, trying to frantically figure out how to see if my car is indeed a CPO vehicle. Does anyone have ANY idea! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME! I really want to prove both these dealerships wrong. The carfax clearly states “this vehicle was offered as a certified preowned vehicle”. Then 1 month later, it was sold with 1 mile difference from when it was claimed as CPO to when it was sold.
What documents would contain any information stating the car was CPO when bought!? Anything helps!!

please and thank you!

Old 12-18-2019, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Sell it with the carfax
Old 12-18-2019, 02:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG E43
Should have made sure it was CPO at one of those dealerships, since those will be the locations you'll take your car, regardless of what was told to you or any online information like carfax. If I was in your position, I would talk to your good friend that works at a Mercedes dealership and get a clarification. Maybe there was a mishap when they looked up your VIN or maybe they looked in the wrong list of some sorts? Regardless, you have two independent dealerships denying CPO status, so there is something wrong in the system if this car is truly CPO.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Call MBUSA Customer Care - the normal process is that orignal CPO owner needs to process that transfer of CPO warranty - Customer Care should help get it straightened out for you.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:00 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2016 C300 Luxury
1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (1-800-367-6372)

Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited Warranty Transfer

If you transfer or sell your vehicle to a private party purchaser, the remaining benefits under the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited Warranty can be transferred to the new owner except those benefits listed under cancellation policies, as applicable in the state in which your are a resident (please refer to your contract). If the vehicle is sold to a dealership or other vehicle reseller, the Extended Limited Warranty terminates.

To complete this transfer:
  • Provide the Mercedes-Benz service booklet and the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited
    Warranty booklet for the vehicle to the private party purchaser.
  • Present proof of private party sale to an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership to complete the transfer process.
Please note, the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited Warranty cannot be transferred to a different vehicle.

Last edited by Ron P Baker; 12-18-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:12 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
Sell it with the carfax
Not trying to sell the car.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:13 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by k4vglitcher
Should have made sure it was CPO at one of those dealerships, since those will be the locations you'll take your car, regardless of what was told to you or any online information like carfax. If I was in your position, I would talk to your good friend that works at a Mercedes dealership and get a clarification. Maybe there was a mishap when they looked up your VIN or maybe they looked in the wrong list of some sorts? Regardless, you have two independent dealerships denying CPO status, so there is something wrong in the system if this car is truly CPO.
I am in talks with my Friend from Mercedes. He's going to pull all the maintenance that was done on the car and see whats going on with the CPO Status. Hoping to have this issue resolved soon.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:15 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Call MBUSA Customer Care - the normal process is that orignal CPO owner needs to process that transfer of CPO warranty - Customer Care should help get it straightened out for you.
I went into Hoffman Mercedes with the CPO Transfer paperwork that I found on Mercedes's website and got all the filled out by the seller and myself and presented it to the Service Advisor.. and he looked so confused and as he had never seen that type of paperwork ever before. I'm trying to get on a call with MBUSA Customer Care but I keep getting put on hold or that automated person keeps talking..
Old 12-18-2019, 12:16 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
I went into Hoffman Mercedes with the CPO Transfer paperwork that I found on Mercedes's website and got all the filled out by the seller and myself and presented it to the Service Advisor.. and he looked so confused and as he had never seen that type of paperwork ever before. I'm trying to get on a call with MBUSA Customer Care but I keep getting put on hold or that automated person keeps talking..
Old 12-18-2019, 04:55 PM

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts
2016 C300W4 (W205), Luxury Pkg, Diamond Silver Met. and Silk Beige\Espresso Interior
Not sure what your actual question is. This appears to be between you, the seller, and any number of M-B dealerships local to you.

We (random internet folk) cannot really help you to magically produce a genuine CPO cert for your car or somehow hack your car's VIN into the M-B CPO database.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:25 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
I'm not looking to "hack" or "magically produce" anything or any system to get it to show that my car is CPO. I was just asking what documents would show if the car was actually purchased CPO'd. But its okay. I think I may have figured it out through my friend looking into the situation for me.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by diamondsilver16
Not sure what your actual question is. This appears to be between you, the seller, and any number of M-B dealerships local to you.

We (random internet folk) cannot really help you to magically produce a genuine CPO cert for your car or somehow hack your car's VIN into the M-B CPO database.
The OP was simply looking for some advice on the matter. Perhaps others on the forum had experience in this matter and are able to chime and contribute. I don't think he was looking to you to procure any type of a certificate.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
Kush Desai (12-20-2019), Trappers101 (12-19-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 187 Posts
W205 2015
Originally Posted by diamondsilver16

Dude the guy is an hard situation, if you cant help maybe others can help...
The following 2 users liked this post by Andy74:
Kush Desai (12-20-2019), Trappers101 (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Look... there are sincere people trying to help - and this isn't a "rock and a hard place".

One post has the process cut/paster from Mercedes.

The private party seller - that seller/guy/dude has to go into a Mercedes dealer with the right stuff (copy of Bill-Of-Sale) and his ID and have that dealer (any dealer) transfer the CPO over to the new owner/this-poster.

A new/owner/buyer can't waltz in and do it - the original/owner-seller has to do it - does everyone here understand that yet or is everyone drinking too much egg nog to read black-n-white it's not rocket science.

Since THAT CORRECT PROCESS WAS NOT DONE - and it's on the MBUSA website if you look - new-onwer/this-dude has already gotten off on the wrong foot with his Mercedes.

NOW - with your fact's in-hand - purcahse date - seller's name and phone/email contact info - "your dealer's" name/city and any service ticket #'s - and CALL MB CUSTOMER CARE (recommend when they open) and STAY ON THE CALL UNTIL YOU COMPLETE OPENING A CASE WITH CUSTOMER CARE

You own your Mercedes - it's up to you to follow thru to get it straightened out THRU CUSTOMER CARE
The following users liked this post:
Kush Desai (12-20-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2017 C300 Cab 4Matic
If MB denies that it's a CPO car, it's small claims court time.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:18 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
When I last purchased a CPO car in a private party transaction, I called the MBUSA 800 number with the VIN and they confirmed the warranty status and expiration date. There was no paperwork to transfer the warranty, I just showed up at my local dealer when it needed some attention.

Is it possible the seller has ripped off the buyer here and the car is in fact not CPO? It may have been advertised as CPO, but could have been sold without the warranty. Is there any proof the previous owner had work done under the CPO warranty?

Last edited by Shadow5501; 12-19-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Shadow5501
When I last purchased a CPO car in a private party transaction, I called the MBUSA 800 number with the VIN and they confirmed the warranty status and expiration date. There was no paperwork to transfer the warranty, I just showed up at my local dealer when it needed some attention.

Is it possible the seller has ripped off the buyer here and the car is in fact not CPO? It may have been advertised as CPO, but could have been sold without the warranty. Is there any proof the previous owner had work done under the CPO warranty?
Unlikely but you never know. Curious as to how this all works out. This obviously was not handled the right way somewhere along the line.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Originally Posted by places
Unlikely but you never know. Curious as to how this all works out. This obviously was not handled the right way somewhere along the line.
I agree, a proper CPO transfer paperwork from seller to buyer should have been done at the dealership, this will ensure that the seller is not ripping off the buyer. Get the buyer to meet you at the dealership and get HIM to sort this issue out. If he cant get MB to confirm that the car is CPO, then he should take back his car and pay you back your money.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 C 300 4matic Lunar blue
Originally Posted by dwpc
If MB denies that it's a CPO car, it's small claims court time.
Too much money for small claims.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:58 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
Hello Folks,
I was able to get the proper clarification through my friends that works at Mercedes. He helped alot with this whole confusion.
The car itself WAS on sale as a CPO car. The previous buyer, however bought the car WITHOUT the CPO Warranty. That's what I was mainly confused on. So all in all, even though the Car itself is CPO, there is no CPO warranty that comes with the car. So with that also said, no need to worry about the whole "transfer warranty" issue as well.
Since I do have roughly 7-8 months of factory warranty still left on the car, I will wait until that gets to become expired. My buddy and I will sit down and find the best warranty plan and that plan that get me the most coverage on the car.
Thank you everyone for your input!

and lastly... I was never trying to "hack" the mercedes network to get my car to show up as a CPO car..... smh.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Originally Posted by Kush Desai
Hello Folks,
I was able to get the proper clarification through my friends that works at Mercedes. He helped alot with this whole confusion.
The car itself WAS on sale as a CPO car. The previous buyer, however bought the car WITHOUT the CPO Warranty. That's what I was mainly confused on. So all in all, even though the Car itself is CPO, there is no CPO warranty that comes with the car. So with that also said, no need to worry about the whole "transfer warranty" issue as well.
Since I do have roughly 7-8 months of factory warranty still left on the car, I will wait until that gets to become expired. My buddy and I will sit down and find the best warranty plan and that plan that get me the most coverage on the car.
Thank you everyone for your input!

and lastly... I was never trying to "hack" the mercedes network to get my car to show up as a CPO car..... smh.
But you bought the car assuming it has a CPO warranty. Didn't the seller tell you that it doesn't have a CPO warranty? The point of buying a CPO car is that it comes with dealer warranty.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Andy74
But you bought the car assuming it has a CPO warranty. Didn't the seller tell you that it doesn't have a CPO warranty? The point of buying a CPO car is that it comes with dealer warranty.
I'm not sure I know the difference. Isn't a CPO the same as a CPO warrantied? Can a car be a CPO and not come with the CPO warranty?
Old 12-20-2019, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Originally Posted by places
I'm not sure I know the difference. Isn't a CPO the same as a CPO warrantied? Can a car be a CPO and not come with the CPO warranty?
That is exactly what I mean. How come its CPO but doesn't have a CPO warranty?
Old 12-20-2019, 04:46 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
So the way it was explained to me at Mercedes was that the car could be on sale as a CPO car. But it's ultimately up the the buyer to buy that CPO warranty. I always assumed that because a car was CPO, the CPO warranty comes with it no matter what. But mercedes barrington told me "Some people want to save 1 thousand or 2, and they knock off the CPO warranty from the car".

To me, like i said, i always thought because a car has been issued as CPO, it AUTOMATICALLY gets the CPO Warranty. But i guess i was wrong with my assumption. Unless someone could find something that states otherwise.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Originally Posted by Kush Desai
So the way it was explained to me at Mercedes was that the car could be on sale as a CPO car. But it's ultimately up the the buyer to buy that CPO warranty. I always assumed that because a car was CPO, the CPO warranty comes with it no matter what. But mercedes barrington told me "Some people want to save 1 thousand or 2, and they knock off the CPO warranty from the car".

To me, like i said, i always thought because a car has been issued as CPO, it AUTOMATICALLY gets the CPO Warranty. But i guess i was wrong with my assumption. Unless someone could find something that states otherwise.
I think the seller should have clearly mentioned to you that he bought it as a CPO without a CPO warranty. But he wanted to sell his car so he focused on the fact that it is a CPO and ignored the fact that it doesn't have a CPO warranty. If you assumed that it automatically gets a CPO warranty why didn't you ask him to give you the CPO warranty documents?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CPO issues with Dealers. NEED URGENT HELP!!!