C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

W205 Paint Defect?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 07:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C300 w/ sport package
W205 Paint Defect?

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2016 c300 and love it! But I just noticed a possible paint defect on the rear bumper. When shining my phones flashlight in the area I noticed this indentation or crease line. When I run my finger down the area I don't feel any unevenness so it's underneath the clear coat I imagine. Anyone knowledgeable about paint know what this is and would it be passed off as normal? I haven't looked at it in natural sunlight yet so not even sure if it would be noticeable then.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:36 PM

No body knowledgeable with paint out there that can provide some feedback?
Old 01-02-2020, 02:52 AM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
Originally Posted by Bmarcinczyk14
No body knowledgeable with paint out there that can provide some feedback?
It could be a minor run in the clearcoat and its giving the illusion of a crease, the rear bumper has more than likely been repainted at some stage, you could probably just block sand and polish if it bothers you, I would just leave it, no one will notice unless you point it out.
The following users liked this post:
Ron P Baker (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by prktkljokr
It could be a minor run in the clearcoat and its giving the illusion of a crease, the rear bumper has more than likely been repainted at some stage, you could probably just block sand and polish if it bothers you, I would just leave it, no one will notice unless you point it out.
Damn, I was fine up until the part about being repainted lol. Hopefully that isn't the case. This isn't something that can happen with factory paint? It seems to line up perfectly to the crease that runs through the side of the bumper in the picture but by design the crease diminishes as it gets to the back side of the bumper. Wonder if that crease as anything to do with the weird paint effect I've noticed.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:54 PM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
Being repainted is no problem, I dont think you will find many used cars that have not been touched up somewhere, it might be factory, I cant tell in a picture as it does not shop up too well.

I have seen runs in factory paint before, its usually on the tip or lip of a panel and more so on cars with a thick clearcoat, it could be from the position that the bumper was in when painted from factory.

See if you can find a the same model at the stealership and have a look to see if it also has the line, does both sides of the car have the same line?
Old 01-04-2020, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
It does not show up well - but on digital photo of a metallic paint that is not uncommon.

It was so minor you did not see it before purchase - unfortunately now that you do see it - at a particular angle and in particular light you will never "not see it"

Very doubtful what you see is "paint defect" as the robots at the factory are generally spot on - if that rear bumper has been resprayed as a "light bumper repair" which normally gets done without insurance claim - so no CarFax report - the repaint in this case was a decent job.

A decent/perfect re-do would be my internal cost $300 and your cost about $600 - recommend you get opinion/quote from a Mercedes Certified Collision Center - put in your zip:

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/deale...oogle.com%252F
Old 01-05-2020, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
It does not show up well - but on digital photo of a metallic paint that is not uncommon.

It was so minor you did not see it before purchase - unfortunately now that you do see it - at a particular angle and in particular light you will never "not see it"

Very doubtful what you see is "paint defect" as the robots at the factory are generally spot on - if that rear bumper has been resprayed as a "light bumper repair" which normally gets done without insurance claim - so no CarFax report - the repaint in this case was a decent job.

A decent/perfect re-do would be my internal cost $300 and your cost about $600 - recommend you get opinion/quote from a Mercedes Certified Collision Center - put in your zip:

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/deale...oogle.com%252F
So what you're saying is the chances of this happening from the factory is slim to none? I should mention that on the back edge of the hood I noticed a very small area with "solvent pop". I had it looked at by my dealers Mercedes certified body shop and they concluded that because the hood shows no signs of being repainted, it likely happened from the factory so I'm having the area repainted under the cars original warranty. If the body shop is correct with the hood defect being caused at the factory, it wouldn't surprise me if something like this on the bumper also got overlooked. When you say the respray in this case was a decent job, is that your way of saying not a very good job? Lol.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by prktkljokr
Being repainted is no problem, I dont think you will find many used cars that have not been touched up somewhere, it might be factory, I cant tell in a picture as it does not shop up too well.

I have seen runs in factory paint before, its usually on the tip or lip of a panel and more so on cars with a thick clearcoat, it could be from the position that the bumper was in when painted from factory.

See if you can find a the same model at the stealership and have a look to see if it also has the line, does both sides of the car have the same line?
nope only the right side of the bumper shows the line. As I said before it matches up perfectly with that crease on the side of the bumper but slowly goes away as it reaches the back side so not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If the Certified Mercedes Collision Center is taking care of your hood - what did they say about your rear bumper ?
Old 01-06-2020, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
If the Certified Mercedes Collision Center is taking care of your hood - what did they say about your rear bumper ?
I haven't mentioned it yet because at the time I wasn't aware of the bumper. Since they're already taking care of the hood I don't know if I want to test my luck. I guess the worse they can say is no.