C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C300 From Auction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 11:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Tesla Model 3, Corvette C8
Lightbulb C300 From Auction

I came across a 2016 C300 on an auction which has 28k miles. It has very minor damage and will be going to look at it next week.

My maximum bid would be 7k, adding another 3k for repairs and registration. As I want to stay under 10k on this entire project.

Has anyone ever purchased a similar vehicle at an auction or can share their insight/experience? Here is the picture of it:

Old 01-19-2020, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Sure... you might noodle a bit more on this part of your budget "adding another 3k for repairs and registration" - if this C-Class was written off as "totaled" by the insurance company - I don't know how you feel your stated budget will complete repairs...
Old 01-19-2020, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Sure... you might noodle a bit more on this part of your budget "adding another 3k for repairs and registration" - if this C-Class was written off as "totaled" by the insurance company - I don't know how you feel your stated budget will complete repairs...
This is the description of it(see screenshot). I just feel like it will be auctioned of for more than 7k. Judging off the the images what would you estimate the final cost would be?

Old 01-19-2020, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 186 Posts
W205 2015
this is an expensive car. OEM parts are very expensive. I am not sure if 3 k to repair this damage is enough.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
2015 Mercedes C400
This is a $25k car clean title..for it to be totaled by insurance that means a repair shop quoted at least 75% of its value in repairs ($18,750). So your budget is $15,000 less than a repair shop to get it “right”. Sure a lot is labor, marked up parts, etc. You can get aftermarket for cheaper. But I’m sure there will be a gap in fixing it for $3k vs. fixing it right. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Kirill98 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 10:35 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
C400
Hmmm the headlights alone will eat up your budget
Old 01-19-2020, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
“Minor damage”? Yikes!
Old 01-19-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey53
“Minor damage”? Yikes!
front bumper, rad support, crash bar, right headlight, right fender is all it needs from the looks
Old 01-19-2020, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by Kirill98
I came across a 2016 C300 on an auction which has 28k miles. It has very minor damage and will be going to look at it next week.

My maximum bid would be 7k, adding another 3k for repairs and registration. As I want to stay under 10k on this entire project.

Has anyone ever purchased a similar vehicle at an auction or can share their insight/experience? Here is the picture of it:
front bumper, rad support, crash bar, right headlight, right fender is all it needs from the looks
secondary damage in rear and who knows what else you can’t see. Good luck! I’d budget a lot more than $3k
Kirill98 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
do you have a mercedes coding unit? replacing the headlights alone will be 3k in parts and labor if you don't have one or the knowledge to do it.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Star4life
do you have a mercedes coding unit? replacing the headlights alone will be 3k in parts and labor if you don't have one or the knowledge to do it.
I found a like new headlight on eBay for $300, shouldn’t it be plug and play
Old 01-19-2020, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
I found a like new headlight on eBay for $300, shouldn’t it be plug and play
if it comes with control modules on the headlight then i believe so. if it doesn't have modules, then it will need to be coded for sure. but i dont remember exactly if it comes with modules if it is plug and play. may need to sync the headlight to the can network. I do not remember. if you do buy the car, i have a pair of very good condition static headlights with control modules though and can give the support to code if needed goodluck. just know, not everything electrical would be plug and play especially if you have to buy new. the electrical modules need to be coded to the car.
Kirill98 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Star4life
if it comes with control modules on the headlight then i believe so. if it doesn't have modules, then it will need to be coded for sure. but i dont remember exactly if it comes with modules if it is plug and play. may need to sync the headlight to the can network. I do not remember. if you do buy the car, i have a pair of very good condition static headlights with control modules though and can give the support to code if needed goodluck. just know, not everything electrical would be plug and play especially if you have to buy new. the electrical modules need to be coded to the car.
Thanks! If I end up picking it up I will probably continue the thread with progress updates!
Ron P Baker (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 04:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG E43
This car is 8k minimum in repairs if you're looking to put it back 100% by yourself. And you also have to code the headlights to the car module if brand new, its not plug and play. I wouldn't bet on a used pair of headlights being plug and play either. Just acquiring all the parts alone will be a hassle. With the salvage title, this car will always be in the lower end of the resale value, definitely not worth the time or effort.

If I was owner of this car, I would part it out immediately and move on.
Kirill98 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 02:25 AM

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
W205 C300, W212 E350, Q50
Rebuilt title car sells at 2/3 price. It means the car will be $17k market value after rebuilt. If you bid $7k plus auction fee and delivery, it becomes $8k.

Parts and materials will be about $5k if you use ebay, online parts store, and aftermarket parts. The final price will be $13k if you do all DIY.

Replacing headlights isn’t an issue. It just needs an adaptation and it can be done by anyone having xentry equip. It can also be done by dealership for $150.

PS: most headlights on ebay will not come with the control unit. You can transfer the unit in the car to the new headlight. It’s a plug and play in this case.

Last edited by realeric; 01-20-2020 at 02:36 AM.
Kirill98 (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by realeric
Rebuilt title car sells at 2/3 price. It means the car will be $17k market value after rebuilt. If you bid $7k plus auction fee and delivery, it becomes $8k.

Parts and materials will be about $5k if you use ebay, online parts store, and aftermarket parts. The final price will be $13k if you do all DIY.

Replacing headlights isn’t an issue. It just needs an adaptation and it can be done by anyone having xentry equip. It can also be done by dealership for $150.

PS: most headlights on ebay will not come with the control unit. You can transfer the unit in the car to the new headlight. It’s a plug and play in this case.
Thank you for your insight! The cars prebid right now is 4K so I hope it remains within my bid budget. Do you find the 2/3 price “rule” to be accurate for various other car models?
Old 01-20-2020, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
In summary - the OP has no prior experience with major car repair - and no prior experience in Salvage Title rebuilding.

In this particular situation - if you Bid-And-Win against professional rebuilder's - you will know you paid too much.

There is no such thing as a a "minor damage" current/recent model vehicle - any brand - as pointed out in prior post insurance companies don't give give up easy - and repair cost at/over 75% of the market value of the vehicle is not uncommon.

In my experience "Salvage Title" market value is nowhere near 75% retail - at "best" 50% - and never acceptable for dealer trade-in.

Salvage title vehicles are bought by professional "breaker's" for resale as parts - or by "rebuilder's" who resell for Export buyer's for "3rd world" countries.

Without rebuilding experience - you have a high risk of "overshooting" the value - and "way underestimating" repair costs..
Kirill98 (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:18 AM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
I do cars like this all the time and it depends on what you can do yourself, Can you do panel ?, can you paint ?, are you good with pulling apart and fitting up?, as the things you are not good at you have to pay someone to do, this will ad to your total quite quick at hundreds of dollars an hour.

You can more than likely get the parts all second hand for around a couple of grand, if you can repair the bonnet and guard yourself you will save money there, if you can paint it even better, it all comes down to what you pay for it. I would set a maximum and not go over it as you can very easily get caught up in the hype and pay too much, only to find stuff broken or damaged that you didnt see taking you over budget, might have damage underneath from going over a island, bent rims etc?, I do 5-10 cars a year and have been caught out on my early purchases, from veteran bidders bidding me up, to finding rail damage on a car with minor damage, both cars I lost money on big time so worth sticking to your price is a must when dealing with salvaged cars, you dont know if it was babied from new or driven like the Dukes of Hazzard and is about to haemorrhage .

I always look at the car and overestimate the repair and allow for unrelated things now so I can have a buffer in case there is unseen damage, if there is none then its a bonus, but if there is damage at least I have accounted for it.

Just dont pay too much for the car to begin with and you can turn a nice little profit, or keep it and have a cheap luxo barge for half the price
Old 01-20-2020, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by prktkljokr
I do cars like this all the time and it depends on what you can do yourself, Can you do panel ?, can you paint ?, are you good with pulling apart and fitting up?, as the things you are not good at you have to pay someone to do, this will ad to your total quite quick at hundreds of dollars an hour.

You can more than likely get the parts all second hand for around a couple of grand, if you can repair the bonnet and guard yourself you will save money there, if you can paint it even better, it all comes down to what you pay for it. I would set a maximum and not go over it as you can very easily get caught up in the hype and pay too much, only to find stuff broken or damaged that you didnt see taking you over budget, might have damage underneath from going over a island, bent rims etc?, I do 5-10 cars a year and have been caught out on my early purchases, from veteran bidders bidding me up, to finding rail damage on a car with minor damage, both cars I lost money on big time so worth sticking to your price is a must when dealing with salvaged cars, you dont know if it was babied from new or driven like the Dukes of Hazzard and is about to haemorrhage .

I always look at the car and overestimate the repair and allow for unrelated things now so I can have a buffer in case there is unseen damage, if there is none then its a bonus, but if there is damage at least I have accounted for it.

Just dont pay too much for the car to begin with and you can turn a nice little profit, or keep it and have a cheap luxo barge for half the price
The only thing i probably wont be able to do is repair is the bonnet and fender myself. Prebid is currently at 6k so I will probably have to miss out on this car and search for another.

That is exactly why i am wanting to do this, because you can enjoy these cars for a lot cheaper. Next winter I want to pick up a c63s coupe from an auction to keep for a few years! Any idea what those typically go for that are in good shape?
Old 01-21-2020, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Plus sensors and calibration. More if it had distronic. Also paint to match new bumper cover of course.

For a competent DIY with a shop and used/aftermarket parts this might come in as low as $3000 but could easily exceed $6000. I think the OPs repair budget is a bit low unless he has access to a real shop and a good parts supply chain.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. J
Plus sensors and calibration. More if it had distronic. Also paint to match new bumper cover of course.

For a competent DIY with a shop and used/aftermarket parts this might come in as low as $3000 but could easily exceed $6000. I think the OPs repair budget is a bit low unless he has access to a real shop and a good parts supply chain.
Yea thats true, paint will be a little costly. I need to learn how to do that myself! I have a few friends who own shops so I am not really worried about the parts or repairs I cannot do myself. The bid just hit 10k so i am definitely skipping out on this specific one
Ron P Baker (01-22-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 09:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 Mercedes SLC300
If the air bags deployed, walk away as $3k won't be nearly enough to fix it.