C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Rainsensor Cover Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 06:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 S205 C350e Sport PP
Rainsensor Cover Removal

I've been having a bit of trouble removing the rainsensor cover. Need to take it off to make sure that an aftermarket dashcam can fit.

The bit that is catching me out is the collar around the rear view mirror.

Its quite easy to pop off the cover itself but the collar in the top left corner is hooked in place.

Front view

Side view

There are two hooks that you can see on both sides in the front view photo. I can't get the angle or leverage to push them back and un-hook them. In the side view you can see at the back of the piece (right side of the photo) there is a long piece that prevents you from twisting the collar down and un-hooking at the front.

I watched a video on YouTube about removing this piece from a W222 s-class and it just said pull down the rainsensor cover. Really simple, as if they weren't connected at all.

Has anyone done this and knows how to remove it?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2020, 08:10 AM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
I think you have unclipped it in the wrong order, you will need to squeeze those clips together to get that first smaller cover out first

Last edited by prktkljokr; 04-07-2020 at 08:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jrosa (04-08-2020)
Old 07-26-2023, 12:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
glc 300
Old topic but I just had to go through this, so what I discovered:

Disassembly:
  1. look at the pictures in this post - they show the 2 piece of the cover after removal
  2. Big piece sits against the glass. The small piece is U-shaped around the mirror stalk.
  3. Leave the big piece alone, until you have disconnected the small piece
  4. Pry the trailing edge of the small piece downward slightly. ("trailing edge" in this case is the edge closest to the rear of the car). This will create a gap between the 2 pieces you can slip a tool into.
  5. Glimpse through the gap and locate the 2 plastic hooks. These hooks are on the small piece, and they fit into holes on the big piece. If all went well, the tips of the hooks are pulled down into the holes they hook through
  6. Poke your tool into the gap and push the tips of the hooks forwards ("forwards" in this case is towards the windshield). Simultaneously, maintain slight downward pressure on the edge of the small piece.
  7. When the tips are pushed forward, that will allow the hooks to slip through the holes, and the downward pressure will pull them through the holes where they disengage
  8. After both hooks are disengaged from the holes, you can work on the big piece
  9. Slip your plastic tool between the glass and the big piece, and lever them apart. The big piece is attached with 4 easy to pop clips
  10. When the big piece is loose, you can remove it by pulling it forwards & downwards along the slope of the glass.
  11. Even though the hooks on the small piece are disengaged, the points of the hooks will still be in the holes, so you may have to wiggle the pieces a bit to get them to clear
  12. After the large piece is removed, the small piece will easily slip off the mirror stalk

Re-assembly is easy:
  1. Pop the large piece back onto its 4 clips
  2. Slip the small piece around the mirror stalk into position
  3. Push the small piece up to snap the hooks in
The following users liked this post:
sidsidhu (07-26-2023)