C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Replace Sat Radio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 04:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
E300
Replace Sat Radio?

I am not the most forum savy guy. I promise I did my best to search before posting. Monday I started my car and the error message, " Device Unavailable" show up on the screen. No Sat radio. FM and AM still work, as does BT and media. As it happens, I was on my way to dealer of B Service. They said they tried to update it to no avail. They informed me I needed to replace the head unit. (I do not recall if they used that actual term, or if my brain has been tainted by internet searches) Dealer price is $2100 plus labor, so, about $2500 to replace it.

As usual when I have sticker shock, I started looking for used parts. I found one I am pretty sure will work from a car with the exact features as mine, just a different color. But then someone told me they thought that unit becomes "married" to the car computer and installing a used one will not work.

So, my question to the experts here, has anyone replaced that silver box (it contains the actual CD player as well) with a used one and did it work or did you have to access the BIOS or something on the computer? Though I do trust my dealer, i'd be remiss if I did not ask if anyone had other suggestions? I've done the obvious, reset it, had Sirius refresh the signal, things like that.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:41 PM

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts
2016 C300W4 (W205), Luxury Pkg, Diamond Silver Met. and Silk Beige\Espresso Interior
As I found the other day when researching something for another forum post, your Sirius/XM tuner may actually be a separate unit located in the trunk like mine is. It is connected to the vehicle by two (or more) connectors, depending on the other features your car came with.

Here's mine:

Old 04-24-2020, 09:45 AM

E300
Thank you! You are correct. I took it out to see if I got the same error message. Oddly, with the Sat unit out, no sound comes out of the FM/Media/BT/CD now! It changes to those devices, but no music is played and on the FM, no sound at all. It is as if the entire thing is now on mute!
Old 10-31-2023, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C300
Originally Posted by DrJonesLaw
Thank you! You are correct. I took it out to see if I got the same error message. Oddly, with the Sat unit out, no sound comes out of the FM/Media/BT/CD now! It changes to those devices, but no music is played and on the FM, no sound at all. It is as if the entire thing is now on mute!
I realize this is a very old thread, but did you ever solve this problem? My daughter is having the same issue with her 2018 c300.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:21 AM

E300
Originally Posted by SecrtAgnt
I realize this is a very old thread, but did you ever solve this problem? My daughter is having the same issue with her 2018 c300.
I had to bite the bullet and have the dealer replace the sat unit located in the trunk.