C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Airmatic lowering excessively when parked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 01:55 AM
C10

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C250 AMG-Line
Airmatic lowering excessively when parked

Has anyone else experienced their Airmatic lowering by itself excessively when parked overnight.

When I leave the ride setting in Comfort and I return to the car the next morning it is fine.

However, if I switch the vehicle off whilst still in Sport or Sport+, the rear of the vehicle lowers itself to the point the wheel arches has covered the top of the tires.

I assume there is some sort of leak in the bags. But to have it only happening when the car is left in Sport / Sport+ and not in Comfort would mean it is more of a sensor issue?

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Old 07-16-2020, 06:17 PM

C450, Monster 796
Not the same car but a CLS500 in our company fleet has been doing the same thing this year. It's not used much anymore due to COVID and I noticed it was sitting with the rear tires hidden in the wheel wells like your picture two months back. They took it to the dealer to get fixed but it's already sagging again this week. Not sure what the dealer will try this time but I'll be watching this thread. Seems to happen if it's not used for a few days in a row so a leaky bag is possible but it's weird that both sides behave the same.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:03 PM
C10

W205 C250 AMG-Line
Originally Posted by Slvrflme147
Not the same car but a CLS500 in our company fleet has been doing the same thing this year. It's not used much anymore due to COVID and I noticed it was sitting with the rear tires hidden in the wheel wells like your picture two months back. They took it to the dealer to get fixed but it's already sagging again this week. Not sure what the dealer will try this time but I'll be watching this thread. Seems to happen if it's not used for a few days in a row so a leaky bag is possible but it's weird that both sides behave the same.
Thanks for sharing. Mine seemed to have developed having been left unattended when I was off on a vacation. It now lowers itself consistently. Will sure keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone else has had any luck dealing with a similar issue.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C400
Originally Posted by C10
Has anyone else experienced their Airmatic lowering by itself excessively when parked overnight.

When I leave the ride setting in Comfort and I return to the car the next morning it is fine.

However, if I switch the vehicle off whilst still in Sport or Sport+, the rear of the vehicle lowers itself to the point the wheel arches has covered the top of the tires.

I assume there is some sort of leak in the bags. But to have it only happening when the car is left in Sport / Sport+ and not in Comfort would mean it is more of a sensor issue?

Did you ever figure what the issue was? My C400 is doing the exact thing. It’s fine if left in Comfort mode. If I leave it in Sport or Sport +, the rear sits all the way down overnight..but just the rear. The front maintains it height.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:12 PM

2015 C400
Leaving this for those who may have encountered this issue.

The issue turned out to be the OEM rear left air spring leaking. While the entire rear drops , which seems to be even, it turned out to be only one of the air springs. The leveling sensor detects the drop one side, therefore, dropping the other side to match. However, one side will be slightly lower than the other, regardless - this will be your leaky air spring. As a precaution, I replace both sides and I have not woken up to a lowerider, which left in sport mode, ever since.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by VGW205
Leaving this for those who may have encountered this issue.

The issue turned out to be the OEM rear left air spring leaking. While the entire rear drops , which seems to be even, it turned out to be only one of the air springs. The leveling sensor detects the drop one side, therefore, dropping the other side to match. However, one side will be slightly lower than the other, regardless - this will be your leaky air spring. As a precaution, I replace both sides and I have not woken up to a lowerider, which left in sport mode, ever since.
cost to replace both>?
Old 07-21-2022, 09:32 AM

2015 C400
DIY. Air springs were $523 total. $28 for the air-line socket.
Old 08-27-2022, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by VGW205
DIY. Air springs were $523 total. $28 for the air-line socket.
Thank you so much for posting this as it is almost exactly my issue. Since covid, I have noticed the car sagging while parked more and more frequently. Is there any chance you can offer more insight on the DIY process? Did you find a tutorial and would a person with moderate automotive knowledge be able to do this with a floor jack in their garage? Agan, thanks!
Old 08-29-2022, 10:56 AM

2015 C400
Originally Posted by gramboda
Thank you so much for posting this as it is almost exactly my issue. Since covid, I have noticed the car sagging while parked more and more frequently. Is there any chance you can offer more insight on the DIY process? Did you find a tutorial and would a person with moderate automotive knowledge be able to do this with a floor jack in their garage? Agan, thanks!
I used this video to do the replacement:

In the video, the tech is using a lift but I was able to do the job using a floor jack and stands. You will also need to deflate the system before removal using the MB Xentry but was able to use a Launch x431 pro V diag tool (still kinda pricey at $1,000~).

In all, the process was pretty easy.
The following 2 users liked this post by VGW205:
cidtek (08-29-2022), Cosworth2000 (09-01-2022)
Old 07-25-2023, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 550
Originally Posted by C10

Old post but since I’ve had this issue of the rear end dropping over a few hours of being parked, only when left on sport mode and spent months trying to figure this out. I searched for leaks and nothing till now. Found that when the car lowers in sport the line to the bag at the connection would slightly move but when I raise the car to inspect for leaks it wouldn’t leak. I found the O ring on the connector was worn so as it moves it leaked very lil made very small bubbles barely visible So I replaced the O ring and put the connector back and finally car stopped going all the way down on the rear. I hope this helps some of you with the rear sag. Just inspect the O ring and if it’s worn replace it.