C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Stuck Parking Brake after battery change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2020 | 10:20 PM

c300
Stuck Parking Brake after battery change

I bought an after market battery 'optima battery dh6' from Auto Zone to replace the oem battery which was giving me issues for the last couple of days(car not starting).The battery was installed by the Auto Zone technician and when I went to start the car and put it in reverse, the parking brake does not disengage. I used the parking brake lever on the left hand side near the driver door and that did not work either.Also, the car is throwing other errors "EBD ABS" unavailable (see attached pics). My car is currently sitting outside the shop and I plan to tow it to the dealership tomorrow. Looking for advise on how to fix this issue.

Errors on dash after battery change

Car in gear but the Parking Brake light still on even after manually pulling on the lever near driver side door.
Old 11-03-2020 | 08:48 PM

2018 C 300
Originally Posted by Abhi S
I bought an after market battery 'optima battery dh6' from Auto Zone to replace the oem battery which was giving me issues for the last couple of days(car not starting).The battery was installed by the Auto Zone technician and when I went to start the car and put it in reverse, the parking brake does not disengage. I used the parking brake lever on the left hand side near the driver door and that did not work either.Also, the car is throwing other errors "EBD ABS" unavailable (see attached pics). My car is currently sitting outside the shop and I plan to tow it to the dealership tomorrow. Looking for advise on how to fix this issue.

Errors on dash after battery change

Car in gear but the Parking Brake light still on even after manually pulling on the lever near driver side door.
When they replaced the battery did they connect a memory saver to the vehicle to prevent or the stored information from being reset? Whenever you change a battery on modern vehicle it is important to connect a power supply to prevent all stored information from being reset.
Old 11-03-2020 | 09:02 PM

c300
Angry Problem was a blown fuse

No they did not use a memory saver. Those are required if you need to save the settings for your sun roof etc. but in my car none of my settings were affected. Anyhow, the car was towed to the dealer yesterday and they identified the issue to be a blown fuse. They are charging me $695 for the repairs out of which the fuse only costs $ 12 and rest is labor Since my car is under CPO warranty I feel this should be covered as fuse boxes are covered under CPO but the 'stealer ship' so far has refused to budge. Contacting MB support now to see if they help with this obscenely high labor charge.
Old 11-04-2020 | 11:31 PM

2018 C43
Wow, stealership at their best! What is the name of this dealer so we can avoid them.
Old 11-05-2020 | 10:34 AM

2015 c300 4matic with sports package
wow ! how is this possible! I am pretty sure, if they followed the troubleshooting procedure for these warning codes, the first thing to check, is to check the fuses.
This charge means someone spent a full 3 hours of work looking at the car, that a lot of work!
Old 11-05-2020 | 12:49 PM

c300
This is 'MB of Seattle'
Old 11-05-2020 | 12:54 PM

c300
Question Problem was a blown fuse

Originally Posted by Simon Guertin
wow ! how is this possible! I am pretty sure, if they followed the troubleshooting procedure for these warning codes, the first thing to check, is to check the fuses.
This charge means someone spent a full 3 hours of work looking at the car, that a lot of work!
They claim that they had to train a module again. Not sure what that means but I think it's probably just a BS excuse from the dealer to charge so much. Unfortunately for me, MB customer care has been un helpful and keep asking me to work with the SA to get this resolved. Does anyone have experience with challenging these absurd charges?
Old 11-05-2020 | 12:57 PM

c300
Problem was a blown fuse

Originally Posted by stockbmw
Wow, stealership at their best! What is the name of this dealer so we can avoid them.
This is 'MB of Seattle'
Old 11-05-2020 | 12:59 PM

2018 C43
Originally Posted by Abhi S
They claim that they had to train a module again. Not sure what that means but I think it's probably just a BS excuse from the dealer to charge so much. Unfortunately for me, MB customer care has been un helpful and keep asking me to work with the SA to get this resolved. Does anyone have experience with challenging these absurd charges?
Many goes to indy shop after the warranty is done but in your case you had the CPO warranty. I think as soon as you told them you went to another shop (a part store!?!) and broke something, they went to town on you.

I would imagine telling them your car is wacked without telling them battery was changed by part store, even completely withholding the new/used battery would have been covered under the CPO.
Old 11-05-2020 | 04:46 PM

c class
Unfortunately dealer isn’t at fault here,ask for good will or a discount but making a bing deal out of it was the wrong move,technically you broke something with user error and it wasn’t a failure of their product.
Old 11-05-2020 | 05:41 PM

c300
Smile Problem was a blown fuse

Originally Posted by Sam Manuel
Unfortunately dealer isn’t at fault here,ask for good will or a discount but making a bing deal out of it was the wrong move,technically you broke something with user error and it wasn’t a failure of their product.
I went to the dealership today and spoke to the Service Manager @ MB of Seattle about this issue. He agreed to waive this charge and I was able to bring the vehicle home. Still bummed tough that getting CPO warranty coverage is such a hassle. The SA kept saying that a fuse box is covered but a fuse is not so unless someone knows the definition of each component really well , the CPO warranty coverage can be denied for almost no reason. Nevertheless, happy that this situation was resolved to my satisfaction.