C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Roadtop Wireless Carplay Install - Pre-FL W205

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Hey fellas, I also have the roadtop wireless CarPlay on my 2017 c43 since September. I’ve recently noticed my car battery is getting drained after parking it for a few days. When I start the car it would say “stop vehicle and leave engine running”. Has anyone with the CarPlay installed experienced this issue?
Old 11-11-2021, 08:42 PM

C43
Anyone experiencing issue with their car battery being drained after installing the roadtop wireless CarPlay? I’ve had the carplay since September but I haven’t driven my car lately. When I started my car after parking it for a few days, I received a error on the dash “stop vehicle, leave engine running”.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G63 AMG / C63s
Originally Posted by ayyemgee
Anyone experiencing issue with their car battery being drained after installing the roadtop wireless CarPlay? I’ve had the carplay since September but I haven’t driven my car lately. When I started my car after parking it for a few days, I received a error on the dash “stop vehicle, leave engine running”.
I have had this error also, I wasn’t sure if it was down the CarPlay box, or another issue.

I had the issue a couple of weeks back, but hasn’t come back again. I checked the voltage on the battery a couple of days after the message, via OBD and it was very healthy.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:49 PM

C43
Have you ever checked if there was a parasitic draw from your car? I feel like it’s the CarPlay Wi-Fi hotspot constantly being on after the car is turned off.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:02 PM

G63 AMG / C63s
Have you ever checked if there was a parasitic draw from your car? I feel like it’s the CarPlay Wi-Fi hotspot constantly being on after the car is turned off.
I agree, the CarPlay box would cause a very slow drain.

How would you suggest to go about testing for the parasitic draw?
Old 11-13-2021, 01:15 PM

C43
Originally Posted by Bigreyrey
I agree, the CarPlay box would cause a very slow drain.

How would you suggest to go about testing for the parasitic draw?
I checked it with a multimeter, I attached a link from ChrisFix. He’s pretty thorough on that topic. I got some crazy number, I just want to confirm if people are getting this too. I might just uninstall it, if I’m leaving my car parked for a bit.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:53 PM

G63 AMG / C63s
I checked it with a multimeter, I attached a link from ChrisFix. He’s pretty thorough on that topic. I got some crazy number, I just want to confirm if people are getting this too. I might just uninstall it, if I’m leaving my car parked for a bit.

https://youtu.be/YC--MLNIbik
Thanks, let me know what you end up doing and interested to see if others see the same issue.

Like I say, I haven’t seen the issue re-occur, what was more worrying was the Revs were jumping from around 600-1100 frantically while parked up after the msg popped up - I had just driven it pretty hard, so thought the warning msg was somehow to do with that, rather than the road top, but I guess time will tell.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:22 AM

C 220d Estate Avantgarde S205
Hello, I recently installed this Roadtop module and encountered the following problem:
I previously bought an OBD activator on Aliexpress to activate the AUX IN, which also included the activation of the video in motion. The idea was to not have to use the USB-AUX adapter supplied with the Roadtop. Activation worked fine and I got AUX IN in the Comand media selection. But after installing the module there was no sound when I selected the AUX IN source on the Comand. I contacted the manufacturer and he told me that there was no choice but to use the USB-AUX adapter and select this source in Comand. In fact, there is sound.
But I am intrigued that the activation by OBD of the AUX IN did not work, I have read in this thread and in other forums cases of modules like this and similar in which the activation of the AUX IN has been enough to obtain sound.
Has anyone got sound this way without using the USB-AUX adapter?
What am I doing wrong?
The only thing I don't seem to have tried is connecting the iPhone via cable to one of the two USB ports on the armrest, when I can I'll try it.
Thank you.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 792 Likes on 536 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by MBENZ17
Hello, I recently installed this Roadtop module and encountered the following problem:
I previously bought an OBD activator on Aliexpress to activate the AUX IN, which also included the activation of the video in motion. The idea was to not have to use the USB-AUX adapter supplied with the Roadtop. Activation worked fine and I got AUX IN in the Comand media selection. But after installing the module there was no sound when I selected the AUX IN source on the Comand. I contacted the manufacturer and he told me that there was no choice but to use the USB-AUX adapter and select this source in Comand. In fact, there is sound.
But I am intrigued that the activation by OBD of the AUX IN did not work, I have read in this thread and in other forums cases of modules like this and similar in which the activation of the AUX IN has been enough to obtain sound.
Has anyone got sound this way without using the USB-AUX adapter?
What am I doing wrong?
The only thing I don't seem to have tried is connecting the iPhone via cable to one of the two USB ports on the armrest, when I can I'll try it.
Thank you.
I'm very interested in this also. I'm planning to do my Android screen install soon (from DMP, not Roadtop) and I've also purchased an OBDII flash programmer to activate AUX-IN. My first thought is, do we know for sure if the supplied harness between the aftermarket module/screen and the NTG head unit is wired for AUX?

I'm not sure myself and I'm hoping mine is!

I hope someone with this knowledge will chime in, 'cause I'm with you... I want the AUX direct connection, not USB or adapters.

Last edited by Keith66; 05-26-2022 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:58 PM

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
W205
It's entirely dependent on the piggyback harness they supplied you with and the exact model of the carplay box whether it supports built in AUX or not. You could solder in your own AUX essentially to the harness they provide you with and then plug in the RCA/AUX cable into it and it will work just fine if it doesn't work directly OOB.
The following 2 users liked this post by PaulR7:
Keith66 (05-26-2022), MBENZ17 (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 04:41 PM

C 220d Estate Avantgarde S205
Originally Posted by PaulR7
It's entirely dependent on the piggyback harness they supplied you with and the exact model of the carplay box whether it supports built in AUX or not. You could solder in your own AUX essentially to the harness they provide you with and then plug in the RCA/AUX cable into it and it will work just fine if it doesn't work directly OOB.
Thanks PaulR7. What you say makes perfect sense. Chances are the main harness they sent me doesn't have the necessary wires. Anyway I'm not going to disassemble it anymore, it was a nightmare to install it. Also, I wouldn't know which pins to connect the AUX cables to. And on the other hand I don't know what kind of signal the Roadtop's aux cable provides, analog or digital. Because, as I have commented in another thread and for another reason, I thought of trying to connect a self-powered speaker directly and I only got a very weak distorted noise and I also connected the speaker through a DAC and I could not hear anything in the speaker. The signal may be analog but very weak.

So I will continue to use the AUX to USB box, the sound of which is not bad, it just has a little delay.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
C63 MY15
Reviving this thread - for those who use the Aux in (i.e activated so you select AUX IN on the NTG headunit).... what audio settings are you using, on both the NTG and the CarPlay unit?

I'm struggling to find an acceptable sound reproduction, it's still a bit muddy...
Old 07-28-2023, 11:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C-300 4Matic
I could never get all things to work properly, so I switched to the USB option vs Wireless. I also use the OEM MB for Phone calls vs the unit. Everything works well by directly plugging into my phone Just too many issues with wireless.
Art
Old 08-05-2023, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 ML350 Bluetec
Hello all - I’m new member here but looking for some help. I purchased one of the Mercedes Benz NTG4.5 / NTG4.7 2012-2015 Wireless Carplay Airplay Decoder for my ML350 (2012 model) to be able to use CarPlay on the car. It is quite similar to the Roadtop systems (https://www.ebay.com/itm/385238516660) and I followed the instructions from one of the Youtube videos on installation. Connecting the main harness wires (including moving the fiber optic audio cable into the new unit’s main harness) and threading the unit into the HVAC area was relatively easy but I cannot figure out why audio is not outputting once the unit is connected.

I’ve tried:
  1. reseating the main harness in the MB unit to make sure its a correct seal and re-inserting the fiber optic cable multiple times
  2. Make sure the audio source is set to AUX
  3. Gone into the engineering mode menu to enable MOST ON & EXTERNAL AMP in 7.5 and AUDIO AUX ON in 7.7…then let the car sit locked for over an hour
  4. Make sure no mute buttons are on
  5. Deleted all prior bluetooth devices in the mercedes OEM interface
  6. Unplugged anything from the arm center box
I’m confused because no audio is working at all with the new Carplay Unit installed, but when I go back to the OEM headunit then audio works again. The instructions that came with my unit made no mention of changing anything in the engineering mode menu FWIW. Could it be a faulty unit or more likely just a setting in my 2012 MB that I haven’t set right with the audio (I also see mentions of OBD AUX activation, is this potentially the issue?).

Old 11-18-2023, 09:24 PM

c43 amg
Carplay

Hi its a big ask but does anyone happen to have a pic of the diagram for the toggle switches as ive lost mine thanks
Old 12-27-2023, 11:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
C63 MY15
Originally Posted by suhaila
Hi its a big ask but does anyone happen to have a pic of the diagram for the toggle switches as ive lost mine thanks
Try googling for
w205 carplay manual filetype:pdf

Or the model number of your unit

I expect them all to come out the same factory, so you might have luck with
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...er-manual-.pdf
or
https://guelec.co.kr/gu-pages/manual...l_20190514.pdf
or
https://f00.psgsm.net/p/894288/carpl...tg5-manual.pdf
Old 07-26-2024, 11:25 AM

2017 C63s
Angry No audio at all

I have a 2017 c63s amg. I installed this kit yesterday and everything is working as far as the display... Though no audio at all is coming through the speakers at all whether im in the carplay screen or not. I have the AUX to USB adapter plugged into media interface 1 and there is still no sound. The vehicle does recognize the source though. Any Ideas on what to do. I will say I did not move any fiber optic cable because I dont know what im looking for. The instructions and video I followed said nothing about the fiber optic cord which may be the issue I am having. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Old 08-04-2024, 11:51 AM

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
21GT634DR, 17C63s, 08GL450
Originally Posted by Jshookrr
I have a 2017 c63s amg. I installed this kit yesterday and everything is working as far as the display... Though no audio at all is coming through the speakers at all whether im in the carplay screen or not. I have the AUX to USB adapter plugged into media interface 1 and there is still no sound. The vehicle does recognize the source though. Any Ideas on what to do. I will say I did not move any fiber optic cable because I dont know what im looking for. The instructions and video I followed said nothing about the fiber optic cord which may be the issue I am having. Any ideas on how to fix this?
I have same car and it works. Try going to original NTG system and put audio on aux1 and then switch to android or CarPlay and see if it fixes it.