C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Roadtop Wireless Carplay Install - Pre-FL W205

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 01:19 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S past: E90 M3 6M, w211 E55
Roadtop Wireless Carplay Install - Pre-FL W205

Hello Group,

I currently have a '16 C63S with the COMAND 8.4" Screen. Car has the 360 cameras.

I installed the Roadtop Wireless carplay module, purchased from Amazon.

Why I chose this over other modules.
- It does not have a second mic to install - uses factory Mic
- shape of the module for best chance of hiding it behind the large radio (COMAND)
- amazon / return policy

Overall a straight forward install. Just a few pointers and notes.

- Module fits in the curved opening in the low rear area. I could only get mine to fit with all the connections in one direction, so try both ways, and it should slide in there one way.
- Wired carplay requires the Camera/USB harness in the kit - you can't use the media interface USB ports in the center console. You'll have to run the additional female USB port to the center console (or wherever you want to connect your phone wire to).
- Unit comes with the USB to Aux adapter, as the harness has an Aux cable. If you have the Aux activated thru the OBD port flash, you don't need to install the USB/Aux. Simply set the media to Aux. If you don't have the Aux source activated, simply use the adapter, and choose "Media Interface" in the media options.
- Since I didn't install the Camera/USB to the module, I had to ground the module to the vehicle (small ground wire extends from the harness). I installed it in the left metal bolt/bracket when you have the radio out (i believe it's a 10mm or 9mm)
- The wifi antenna, I installed it high up in the back plastic wall that's behind the factory unit. There's a lot of space there to install it width wise.
- Since there's a ton of additional wires, many people have problems fitting the module and reinstalling the factory Comand Unit. Take your time by grabbing as much of the wires in the back and pushing them on top of the carplay module installed in the open area far back. As you slowly set the comand unit back in place with one hand, use your other hand to continuously rebundle the cables bunching up behind the COMAND, and feed it into the carplay module location. Any one of the wires can snag and stop further install of the COMAND unit. Eventually the comand can be pushed back in place, but will be under tension when you reinstall the mounting screws.

One feature I'm very excited for is having Waze up, while i can change tracks! LOL enough of the using gestures or switching between source and navi.

Road Top Unit

Placing module and cables in the small port area. Put as many in there as you can from the start.

COMAND module installed, with all cables behind it.

View of the small port area after COMAND is reinstalled - most of the new cables fit in there!

Wireless Carplay - Waze while you can change tracks with scroll wheel!

Last edited by anerbe; 06-25-2021 at 05:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by anerbe:
2MERKS (08-26-2022), Kush Desai (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 03:44 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by anerbe
Hello Group,

I currently have a '16 C63S with the COMAND 8.4" Screen. Car has the 360 cameras.

I installed the Roadtop Wireless carplay module, purchased from Amazon.

Why I chose this over other modules.
- It does not have a second mic to install - uses factory Mic
- shape of the module for best chance of hiding it behind the large radio (COMAND)
- amazon / return policy

Overall a straight forward install. Just a few pointers and notes.

- Module fits in the curved opening in the low rear area. I could only get mine to fit with all the connections in one direction, so try both ways, and it should slide in there one way.
- Wired carplay requires the Camera/USB harness in the kit - you can't use the media interface USB ports in the center console. You'll have to run the additional female USB port to the center console (or wherever you want to connect your phone wire to).
- Unit comes with the USB to Aux adapter, as the harness has an Aux cable. If you have the Aux activated thru the OBD port flash, you don't need to install the USB/Aux. Simply set the media to Aux. If you don't have the Aux source activated, simply use the adapter, and choose "Media Interface" in the media options.
- Since I didn't install the Camera/USB to the module, I had to ground the module to the vehicle (small ground wire extends from the harness). I installed it in the left metal bolt/bracket when you have the radio out (i believe it's a 10mm or 9mm)
- The wifi antenna, I installed it high up in the back plastic wall that's behind the factory unit. There's a lot of space there to install it width wise.
- Since there's a ton of additional wires, many people have problems fitting the module and reinstalling the factory Comand Unit. Take your time by grabbing as much of the wires in the back and pushing them on top of the carplay module installed in the open area far back. As you slowly set the comand unit back in place with one hand, use your other hand to continuously rebundle the cables bunching up behind the COMAND, and feed it into the carplay module location. Any one of the wires can snag and stop further install of the COMAND unit. Eventually the comand can be pushed back in place, but will be under tension when you reinstall the mounting screws.

One feature I'm very excited for is having Waze up, while i can change tracks! LOL enough of the using gestures or switching between source and navi.

Road Top Unit

Placing module and cables in the small port area. Put as many in there as you can from the start.

COMAND module installed, with all cables behind it.

View of the small port area after COMAND is reinstalled - most of the new cables fit in there!

Wireless Carplay - Waze while you can change tracks with scroll wheel!
Link please!!!
Old 06-25-2021, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kush Desai
Link please!!!
Updated in the original post
The following users liked this post:
Kush Desai (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 11:20 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
C200
Looks great!
Old 06-28-2021, 01:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G63 AMG / C63s
Good work on the installation - looks great.

How is the wireless Carplay connection? Does it take long to initialize?

I previously had an android screen in my G63 and it would take around 15-20 seconds to connect to the wireless Carplay.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:21 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
C63 AMG
So essentially this unit enables carplay into the OEM unit to run apps (such as waze, etc.) onto the screen? How does it effect the OEM music playing option and phone options that are currently on there? Any problems with sound or unit quality? Definitely interested in this as I run waze quite a bit on my phone.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:27 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
Updated in the original post
Link doesnt open up for me :/
Old 06-29-2021, 02:28 AM

C200
You could just look it up

Amazon Amazon

Kush Desai (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bigreyrey
Good work on the installation - looks great.

How is the wireless Carplay connection? Does it take long to initialize?

I previously had an android screen in my G63 and it would take around 15-20 seconds to connect to the wireless Carplay.
I’ve found that there’s an initialization that starts from unlocking the car.

When I timed from pulling the handle to immediately starting the car and waiting for wireless carplay, it’s about 15 seconds. When I unlock to put my bag in back, then go to front to start car, it’s normally up within 5 sec to wireless CarPlay to pull up.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by 1slick_c63amg
So essentially this unit enables carplay into the OEM unit to run apps (such as waze, etc.) onto the screen? How does it effect the OEM music playing option and phone options that are currently on there? Any problems with sound or unit quality? Definitely interested in this as I run waze quite a bit on my phone.
you can run factory radio/audio inputs with wireless CarPlay. The media button on the dash won’t respond, but the radio button will bring you to OEM radio screen. You can change the station. Then hold the back arrow for 5 seconds to get back to carplay/Waze. Note however you will have problems changing stations as the factory radio doesn’t have physical seek buttons (rediculous). I don’t mind as I normally use Amazon music anyways (which you can control on CarPlay directly)

overall, the sound is decent. Sounds similar to Bluetooth audio, but the volume level is lower than the OEM inputs. There are multiple adjustments options with the module (also the aux input boost), so I have to fool around with the settings more.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:13 PM

G63 AMG / C63s
I’ve found that there’s an initialization that starts from unlocking the car.

When I timed from pulling the handle to immediately starting the car and waiting for wireless carplay, it’s about 15 seconds. When I unlock to put my bag in back, then go to front to start car, it’s normally up within 5 sec to wireless CarPlay to pull up.
Brilliant, thank you. I have ordered the same box from Ali Express.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:53 AM

C200
Hi - could you please explain a bit more about AUX connection ? Its not available on my car (but I can get that enabled) - does that mean I dont need the 3.5mm jack / USB input cable ?
Would I just select AUX (once enabled) and the system audio would work ? Would the audio quality improve ?
Thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2021, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by matt.jessop
Hi - could you please explain a bit more about AUX connection ? Its not available on my car (but I can get that enabled) - does that mean I dont need the 3.5mm jack / USB input cable ?
Would I just select AUX (once enabled) and the system audio would work ? Would the audio quality improve ?
Thanks in advance
If Aux is not enabled in your system, you'll need an additional connection to the center armrest connection. Carplay Module > Supplied Harness w/ 3.5mm Jack > Supplied Aux to USB Adapter > Armrest USB port 1 or 2.
This way, you use "media interface 1" or "media interface 2" source depending which port you plugged the adapter to.

If Aux is enabled, you don't run / connect any additional cable. Just simply choose Aux as the source, and the system will use this to transfer sound. I can still plug in my phone to the usb port in the center console and I can play music thru this. I decided not to run the wired carplay USB wire from the module, as I really didn't want an additional non-oem cable run to somewhere, and I can still get music to play thru the factory USB connection. Just note that siri and waze wont transfer sound as a different source is chosen.

Note that you need to both ensure the grounding of the audio wire (labeled GND from the harness) and play with the audio levels in the carplay module settings to get your sound out without distortion.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:40 PM

G63 AMG / C63s
If Aux is not enabled in your system, you'll need an additional connection to the center armrest connection. Carplay Module > Supplied Harness w/ 3.5mm Jack > Supplied Aux to USB Adapter > Armrest USB port 1 or 2.
This way, you use "media interface 1" or "media interface 2" source depending which port you plugged the adapter to.

If Aux is enabled, you don't run / connect any additional cable. Just simply choose Aux as the source, and the system will use this to transfer sound. I can still plug in my phone to the usb port in the center console and I can play music thru this. I decided not to run the wired carplay USB wire from the module, as I really didn't want an additional non-oem cable run to somewhere, and I can still get music to play thru the factory USB connection. Just note that siri and waze wont transfer sound as a different source is chosen.

Note that you need to both ensure the grounding of the audio wire (labeled GND from the harness) and play with the audio levels in the carplay module settings to get your sound out without distortion.
I assume the CarPlay box somehow takes advantage of this. So for anyone not using one of these boxes, is there any other benefit of enabling AUX, if there is no actual 3.5mm AUX input?

You mentioned the Ground Wire, can you explain a little what you did with this?

Also, would you kindly share a link to a thread explaining the AUX activation via OBD?…. I have been unsuccessful in my searching for it!

Thank you very much

Last edited by Bigreyrey; 06-30-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bigreyrey
I assume the CarPlay box somehow takes advantage of this. So for anyone not using one of these boxes, is there any other benefit of enabling AUX, if there is no actual 3.5mm AUX input?

You mentioned the Ground Wire, can you explain a little what you did with this?

Also, would you kindly share a link to a thread explaining the AUX activation via OBD?…. I have been unsuccessful in my searching for it!

Thank you very much
- I don't think there's a benefit, unless you have something attached to the Aux port in the factory COMAND unit. There was an open Aux port in the back of the unit with no wire attached on mine. Therefore, I expect it wouldn't connect to anything if you chose that source without the carplay module.
- Small black ground wire, that you either attach to a metal bolt in the car (I put in the instructions to connect to the left side metal bolt behind the radio location), or there's an additional harness for the USB wired carplay that has another ground wire. If you use the additional USB harness for the wired carplay option, connect the two single black wires together to ground the unit to itself.
- The aux activator I got from Ebay. It allows for Aux activation, and option for allowing video play in motion. It came from China, and took about 4 weeks.

I may end up selling my OBD Activator unit on here.

Last edited by anerbe; 06-30-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Kush Desai (07-07-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 10:19 AM

2016 C300 4Matic
Bought the RoadTop Module and plan on doing the install this weekend.

Quick question though, I got my AUX channel enabled using the OBD Activation tool. Would I just install the module (per your instructions/the instructions that are provided) and directly switch to AUX Media and expect the Audio and Bluetooth to work through that?
I assume I would need to connect my phone to the Modules Bluetooth to get it connected wirelessly?

I plan to opt for the wireless connection than the wired connection just because that's what I'm used to already with the current module I have right now.

If needed for others, I can take step by step pictures to share.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kush Desai
Bought the RoadTop Module and plan on doing the install this weekend.

Quick question though, I got my AUX channel enabled using the OBD Activation tool. Would I just install the module (per your instructions/the instructions that are provided) and directly switch to AUX Media and expect the Audio and Bluetooth to work through that?
I assume I would need to connect my phone to the Modules Bluetooth to get it connected wirelessly?

I plan to opt for the wireless connection than the wired connection just because that's what I'm used to already with the current module I have right now.

If needed for others, I can take step by step pictures to share.
Yes - if you have the Aux channel activated via OBD, you don't connect the aux/usb additional connections that come with the unit. Switch to Aux Media, and the module will receive in your sound from your phone, and transmit it thru Aux (picture of the cord) in the MB unit.
Once all is setup, the phone will connect to the new module bluetooth, which will then activate the wifi connection between the new unit and your phone.
As an update, once the wifi connection was setup, my phone would connect to the MBBluetooth factory system. It would work better with calls, but after the call, the reconnection of audio would be buggy with the module.
Currently, I have deactivated the MBBluetooth connection completely, only having it connect to the new module. With this, it still uses the factory mic, but it answers calls thru carplay, not the factory system. The person on the other side of a call heard their own voice in echo. I changed some of the mic settings in the module's settings menu while taking with the person, and one of the settings cancelled the echo.

Overall the sound is decent - consistent with bluetooth streaming audio.
- actual volume is down a bit vs. other sources (i.e. switching from Amazon Music to radio, the radio volume would be louder without touching the volume dial). tuning both the settings in the module settings and the factory settings under Aux can improve it, but don't max out the settings or else you'll get distortion
- call quality seems to a be a bit down vs. factory system. it isn't bad - and it appears the other end can hear me fine. if it's a serious call, i'll put in one side of my airpod pros to have a longer discussion, as the c63S tends to be a bit loud.
- the unit occassionally freezes. I disconnect the wifi on my phone which will send the module back to the home settings screen, then will reactivate it. it normally picks up the carplay module's wifi and reactivates. takes about 15-20 seconds for the reset.

overall it's not perfect, and if it was factory, i would complain more. it's just really nice to keep the phone in the pocket the whole time and have waze and amazon music up ready to go when i enter the car. this includes inputting destinations and choosing my recent stations.
Kush Desai (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 02:30 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
Yes - if you have the Aux channel activated via OBD, you don't connect the aux/usb additional connections that come with the unit. Switch to Aux Media, and the module will receive in your sound from your phone, and transmit it thru Aux (picture of the cord) in the MB unit.
Once all is setup, the phone will connect to the new module bluetooth, which will then activate the wifi connection between the new unit and your phone.
As an update, once the wifi connection was setup, my phone would connect to the MBBluetooth factory system. It would work better with calls, but after the call, the reconnection of audio would be buggy with the module.
Currently, I have deactivated the MBBluetooth connection completely, only having it connect to the new module. With this, it still uses the factory mic, but it answers calls thru carplay, not the factory system. The person on the other side of a call heard their own voice in echo. I changed some of the mic settings in the module's settings menu while taking with the person, and one of the settings cancelled the echo.

Overall the sound is decent - consistent with bluetooth streaming audio.
- actual volume is down a bit vs. other sources (i.e. switching from Amazon Music to radio, the radio volume would be louder without touching the volume dial). tuning both the settings in the module settings and the factory settings under Aux can improve it, but don't max out the settings or else you'll get distortion
- call quality seems to a be a bit down vs. factory system. it isn't bad - and it appears the other end can hear me fine. if it's a serious call, i'll put in one side of my airpod pros to have a longer discussion, as the c63S tends to be a bit loud.
- the unit occassionally freezes. I disconnect the wifi on my phone which will send the module back to the home settings screen, then will reactivate it. it normally picks up the carplay module's wifi and reactivates. takes about 15-20 seconds for the reset.

overall it's not perfect, and if it was factory, i would complain more. it's just really nice to keep the phone in the pocket the whole time and have waze and amazon music up ready to go when i enter the car. this includes inputting destinations and choosing my recent stations.
Thanks for the info! Will see how it goes this weekend.

And yes I totally agree, there are things that bug me but like you said, its not factory, so cant complain too much about it. Just gotta live with it, but it sure does make driving ALOT easier with CarPlay than using the CommandSystem
Old 07-26-2021, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe
Great post!!!! Thank you for posting! I purchased and had the Roadtop installed. It's a great set-up EXCEPT for when it comes to making and receiving calls. The quality had been HORRIBLE with major echo and calls sounding like I'm in a tunnel. I have also disconnected my MB bluetooth as well. Hoping you would mind sharing your audio settings. I've tried everything and have spend hours with Roadtop trying to help, but nothing is unfortunately working. Ugh! I'm soooo frustrated. Other than the calling/receiving feature the Carplay works flawlessly. Thank you!!!!
Old 07-26-2021, 02:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by KATZie
Great post!!!! Thank you for posting! I purchased and had the Roadtop installed. It's a great set-up EXCEPT for when it comes to making and receiving calls. The quality had been HORRIBLE with major echo and calls sounding like I'm in a tunnel. I have also disconnected my MB bluetooth as well. Hoping you would mind sharing your audio settings. I've tried everything and have spend hours with Roadtop trying to help, but nothing is unfortunately working. Ugh! I'm soooo frustrated. Other than the calling/receiving feature the Carplay works flawlessly. Thank you!!!!
For me, the best quality is using the MB bluetooth. So here's how it works for me:

1) phone is connected to both MB bluetooth and Roadtop bluetooth
2) connected via wireless CarPlay, roadtop bluetooth switches off and goes to wifi
3) call comes in, I pick up via the buttons on the steerwheel/phone/screen and make sure to use MB bluetooth (you might have to change this on the phone clicking audio sources and select MB bluetooth)

Anytime I try using the Roadtop bluetooth for calls, it's horrible. Just use MB bluetooth and it's perfect.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:27 PM

2017 C300 Coupe
ALSO Road Top is available for technical support. They respond quickly but keep in mind they are located in China. Contact info below for pre/post sales questions:

Road Top
Whatsapp: +8617325908047
roadtopdirect@outlook.com
Hours available 9am-6pm Chinese Time (Monday - Saturday)
Old 07-26-2021, 02:49 PM

2017 C300 Coupe
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! Much appreciated! Great recommendation (thank you) and I have tried it this option but it seems like I need to change the audio source to MB Bluetooth on my iPhone when a call comes in or when I need to make a call. That can be a slippery slope while driving. Actually almost got in an accident when switching the audio source.

You are absolutely correct the quality of using the MB Bluetooth it is perfect!

Any other recommendations and/or settings would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!!
Old 07-26-2021, 03:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by KATZie
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! Much appreciated! Great recommendation (thank you) and I have tried it this option but it seems like I need to change the audio source to MB Bluetooth on my iPhone when a call comes in or when I need to make a call. That can be a slippery slope while driving. Actually almost got in an accident when switching the audio source.

You are absolutely correct the quality of using the MB Bluetooth it is perfect!

Any other recommendations and/or settings would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!!
weird, I only had to do it one time and it saved the setting. Make sure your settings are like:

https://imgur.com/a/gZW3CFZ
KATZie (07-27-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 04:54 PM

C200
I use MB bluetooth for all audio - phone / podcasts / music. You can still control everything via the Roadtop but the quality wasnt great so I chose to just use MB bluetooth.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:11 AM

2017 C300 Coupe
Great guidance! If you use MB bluetooth for all your audio how do you have it set-up to use Roadtop? What settings are you using? I agree with the quality. Not so great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Roadtop Wireless Carplay Install - Pre-FL W205