C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Burmester audio upgrade decisions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C300
Originally Posted by benzdude
How does a 2021 C43 still have crappy sounding Burmester? You would think they would upgrade the speakers and/or even tweak the DSP at some point? Maybe reinvent the front sub-woofers installation? Come on Mercedes.
Do you know if the Nav Tv allows you to install any amp for the bermeister speakers?
i just purchased one but I’m not sure if I should get the match up 10dsp along with it or if I should just buy a dsp and use my Desf bonce Aak 160.4?
Old 10-26-2021, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 345 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by DroopzW205
Do you know if the Nav Tv allows you to install any amp for the bermeister speakers?
i just purchased one but I’m not sure if I should get the match up 10dsp along with it or if I should just buy a dsp and use my Desf bonce Aak 160.4?
The Nav TV Zen-M has TOSHlink (optical) and RCA outputs. They can be used together or separately. Any DSP or DSP amplifier can be used in the chain.

For most people all they need are the TOSHlink output into a DSP AMP.

Two examples

ZEN-M TO DSP AMP

ZEN-M TO DSP

Last edited by benzdude; 10-26-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 AMG C43
Yeah, the Nav TV will replace your factory Burmester amp (connecting to the car's optical MOST150 bus) and output either a digital audio signal using TOSLINK or a bunch of RCA line-level outputs (10 or 12 I think) for all of the factory channels. So you can use the Match UP 10DSP and map 1:1 if you want. What that means is that all of the channels in the factory audio would be routed and individually adjustable. There is even a Match adapter wiring harness with the right connector for your speakers, and Match even has created a tune file for stock speakers you can download. I thought about doing that, but it seemed like the speakers were not clear at higher volumes so I changed them first. Some people might want to try staying with stock speakers at first, maybe they're not too bad.

You could also use any DSP and connect it to the Nav TV either with the TOSLINK or RCA outputs, and then add whatever amps you wanted. I think Parrot makes a T-harness you could take part of to avoid cutting into the factory wiring.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
I just bit the bullet and ordered the overly expensive Helix branded version of the Zen-M.

Fingers crossed.
​​​​
Old 10-27-2021, 02:54 AM

2021 AMG C43
Well I think the non-Helix one went up in price very recently as well. I thought you already had one but maybe that was someone else. So far it seems great on my car.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by James_H
Well I think the non-Helix one went up in price very recently as well. I thought you already had one but maybe that was someone else. So far it seems great on my car.
If you hurry there is still one on ABT.com for $800. (Good people, responsive)

I had one, but the RCAs would not produce audio so i returned it to Amazon.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:07 PM

W205 C300
I just bit the bullet and ordered the overly expensive Helix branded version of the Zen-M.

Fingers crossed.
​​​​

Whats the difference between the helix Nav and the normal one?
Old 10-28-2021, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by DroopzW205
Whats the difference between the helix Nav and the normal one?
TBD

My guess is nothing, but the helix branding allows both parties to raise the price.

Also, there is a rumour a coaxial version is coming to interface with the new Benz years.

Mobridge already has one for MOST150.

Last edited by benzdude; 10-28-2021 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:40 PM

2021 AMG C43
It's been a while, seems a good time for an update. I messed with tuning over and over again, and ended up a bit short of satisfied. The tweeters have some crackle or bad sounds on some songs even at lower volume, and as I dug into the specs more, I don't see how the midrange and tweeter can have enough overlap. The tweeter Fs is like 3200Hz I think so really it should be crossed over at 6400Hz, but the midrange is not good into that range. I crossed the tweeter at 4500Hz which probably isn't great and there would still be a dip in the frequency response around the crossover point. Note that I had my installer run an additional speaker wire into the doors so I can run the 2 speakers with active crossovers set in the Match UP 10DSP.

I decided to keep the midranges, and try different tweeters. The factory tweeter location (especially in the coupe) does not allow for normal tweeters, and I think the small housing size limits the design of the tweeter. So I designed a pod for the top of my door panels similar to where they would mount in a sedan on the sail panels. I 3D printed them, and got a good deal on used Audible Physics tweeters. These tweeters can be easily crossed at 2600Hz, and that keeps the midranges in a happy (and more omnidirectional) frequency range. The sound is really good now, it sounds very natural and clear.

For others looking to upgrade, I probably wouldn't go with the Focal Inside option. You might be able to find some other midranges and there are some adapters on eBay that fit into the stock midrange mounting features and can be drilled to mount other speakers to, the challenge is finding shallow speakers or smaller diameter (like a 3" or maybe 3 1/2") that can fit into the hole. Just plan on mounting larger tweeters somehow.
Attached Thumbnails Burmester audio upgrade decisions-tweeter-pod-driver-2.jpeg   Burmester audio upgrade decisions-tweeter-pod-passenger-2.jpeg  

Last edited by James_H; 11-30-2021 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Commented about image rotation
The following users liked this post:
Omega4 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 12:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 G63, 2018 C43, 2018 GLS450
Focal inside with helix

I went with the focal inside speakers in my 2018 C43. The installer, sound waves, in Parsippany NJ replaced all 13 speakers in my car’s “Burmester” premium sound system as well as added sound deadening material to help with some of the rattles and improve sound quality by removing vibration. Replacing the speakers alone was not enough. Although there was a big improvement, the sound was still off in a different way. They were way too bright and mid heavy. I called Focal to see if there was a way to dial down the brightness a little with the factory equalizer. They said they are designed to be more neutral and bright but you really need to get a separate dsp/amp to fix it since you don’t get enough control with the factory eq. They explained it the following way, which was also explained to me by the pros at Sound Waves. The car manufactures use very cheap speakers (even in premium systems), but compensate for their physical decencies by playing with the equalization of the amp to make it sound better. Once I replaced the speakers, I had a tuning deficiency from the factory amp that was compensating for the garbage speakers that used to be there. Focal said there are only about 15 shops in the country that could put it all together and tune it properly. I just happen to live a half hour from one. Maybe some of you guys can install all of this and tune it. I didn't even try and don't have the time. In the end Sound Waves installed a Helix V Twelve DSP/AMP and tuned it perfectly. I have 2 settings, driver and all, depending on if I have people in the car with me. I can add up to 10 sound profiles. They even measured each speakers distance to my ear for the driver's setting in the DSP/amp. I was worried about spending the money to do all this and then not be pleased with how it turned out. It was extraordinarily expensive and time intensive but the sound is unreal. I have multiple hifi headphones and a hifi stereo system at home and I think this might be better than any of them.

Last edited by WTC43AMG; 02-18-2022 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by WTC43AMG
I went with the focal inside speakers in my 2018 C43. The installer, sound waves, in Parsippany NJ replaced all 13 speakers in my car’s “Burmester” premium sound system as well as added sound deadening material to help with some of the rattles and improve sound quality by removing vibration. Replacing the speakers alone was not enough. Although there was a big improvement, the sound was still off in a different way. They were way too bright and mid heavy. I called Focal to see if there was a way to dial down the brightness a little with the factory equalizer. They said they are designed to be more neutral and bright but you really need to get a separate dsp/amp to fix it since you don’t get enough control with the factory eq. They explained it the following way, which was also explained to me by the pros at Sound Waves. The car manufactures use very cheap speakers (even in premium systems), but compensate for their physical decencies by playing with the equalization of the amp to make it sound better. Once I replaced the speakers, I had a tuning deficiency from the factory amp that was compensating for the garbage speakers that used to be there. Focal said there are only about 15 shops in the country that could put it all together and tune it properly. I just happen to love a half hour from one. Maybe some of you guys can install all of this and tune it. I didn't even try and don't have the time. In the end Sound Waves installed a Helix V Twelve DSP/AMP and tuned it perfectly. I have 2 settings, driver and all, depending on if I have people in the car with me. I can add up to 10 sound profiles. They even measured each speakers distance to my ear for the driver's setting in the DSP/amp. I was worried about spending the money to do all this and then not be pleased with how it turned out. It was extraordinarily expensive and time intensive but the sound is unreal. I have multiple hifi headphones and a hifi stereo system at home and I think this might be better than any of them.
Do you have the V Twelve OG or MK2? I would love to sample your current tune file. Does your system use the center speaker? Do you have a trunk sub? I haven't done any EQ'ing and mine still sounds great. Any issues with start/stop bunps under heavy bass?

​​​​​​
Old 02-18-2022, 11:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 G63, 2018 C43, 2018 GLS450
Do you have the V Twelve OG or MK2? I would love to sample your current tune file. Does your system use the center speaker? Do you have a trunk sub? I haven't done any EQ'ing and mine still sounds great. Any issues with start/stop bunps under heavy bass?

​​​​​​
I have the MK2. The center is in use and the installer measured center channel to my ear when he measured all the other speakers. I got the entire focal inside speakers lineup. All 13 speakers replaced. No trunk sub and I don't feel it needs one for my listening. I like my sound to be more neutral and I listen loud enough that I can feel the bass hitting me in the chest. The sound is truly extraordinary. So rich and detailed. The sound stage is vast. I have quite a bit of HiFi equipment from B&W, Bang and Olufsen, and McIntosh and I think the way this is set up is the most revealing and clear. No start/stop issues. I tried to upload the file for my all sound profile but it's not supported. Let me know how I can get the tune file to you if you still want it.
Old 09-01-2023, 04:55 PM

c63s
Hey can you send me your Helix tune file? I'd love to try it out on mine as well. My email address is symondsk@gmail.com
Old 06-13-2024, 06:55 AM

w212 e350 cdi
Hi, can you send me your Helix tune file? I'd like to try it out on my w213 as well. My email address is nunoamorim133@gmail.com