C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

P2787 - Clutch temp. too high on my C200

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 W205
P2787 - Clutch temp. too high on my C200

As the title suggests I have just finished my stage 1 on my C200 and got into it however I noticed some weird behaviour and got a OBD P2787 telling my the Clutch temperature is too high. I do not have the engine light on or anything however I can find it in my OBD reader still. With this i have noticed that the clutch especially during summer weather tends to slip and run away when shifting gears quickly in high RPM( My C200 is a manual) which can cause it to overheat very fast. The car has relatively low millage and was never driven too hard. Anybody got any tips about what this could mean and what to check?
Old 08-25-2021, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 187 Posts
W205 2015
I got a C200 AMG line Automatic 7G. I wanted to proceed with a stage 1 but I hesitated so I ended up with installing a Brabus power box along Armytrix exhaust system with its downpipe. I am happy with the transformation performance and sound wise. Now my recommendation to you is to delete this stage 1 which apparently created this clutch issue. Who knows if this slipping thing will escalate. You know putting a new clutch is not cheap. I am not a big fan of manipulating the ECU but I proceeded with Brabus since they gave me 3 years warranty. Delete this stage 1 and install Brabus if you find it expensive you can choose Racechip which is a German product.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:48 PM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts
2019 CLS450 (C257)
Originally Posted by long_boy
As the title suggests I have just finished my stage 1 on my C200 and got into it however I noticed some weird behaviour and got a OBD P2787 telling my the Clutch temperature is too high. I do not have the engine light on or anything however I can find it in my OBD reader still. With this i have noticed that the clutch especially during summer weather tends to slip and run away when shifting gears quickly in high RPM( My C200 is a manual) which can cause it to overheat very fast. The car has relatively low millage and was never driven too hard. Anybody got any tips about what this could mean and what to check?
Did you perform this stage 1 as a simple obd flash you bought online, or through a tuner? If its the latter, it would be good to consult the tuner about this code you have.
One way to go about is to revert back the tune, clear the code and see if it still appears. If yes then its likely not related to the stage 1.
If the code doesn't appear after you revert, then agree with your tuner if you could keep as it is or to flash back to stage 1 again and monitor.

For any cars which overgo tuning, a reputable tuner who has the customer's interest will go the long way. Unfortunately there aren't many.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Originally Posted by dagger22
Did you perform this stage 1 as a simple obd flash you bought online, or through a tuner? If its the latter, it would be good to consult the tuner about this code you have.
One way to go about is to revert back the tune, clear the code and see if it still appears. If yes then its likely not related to the stage 1.
If the code doesn't appear after you revert, then agree with your tuner if you could keep as it is or to flash back to stage 1 again and monitor.

For any cars which overgo tuning, a reputable tuner who has the customer's interest will go the long way. Unfortunately there aren't many.
If the code disappeared after after deleting this stage 1 why should he go back to it again and monitor? He should just get rid of it.

Last edited by Andy74; 08-26-2021 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:20 AM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts
2019 CLS450 (C257)
Originally Posted by Andy74
If the code disappeared after after deleting thus stage 1 why should he go back to it again and monitor? He should just get rid of it.
It's just part of the troubleshooting process. What if the tune is flashed back, and the code doesn't appear? furthermore he would have paid for the tune, and if it's a capable tuner there should be some assistance rendered (especially if there are others who didn't have any issues with the same tune). Am sure he can get rid of it if he wants, but we do need to consider the services paid up and if they are willing to refund as well (the T&Cs)

If someone buys a piggyback unit and somehow hit upon an error after install, we would want to run through a similar troubleshooting process rather than just deem that the piggyback or all piggybacks are not good. It might be a bad install or configuration, or just coincidental that an error appeared at the same time the install was done.

Any modification have risks, so understanding such risks and setting the right expectations goes the long way. This will help the community to thrive and see where such modifications can take us to (for those who have the preference to mod of cos, not for those who prefer not to). Most (if not all) cars can be modded extensively, but it largely depends on the appetite of the community...
(just my few cents worth... LOL)

Old 08-26-2021, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Originally Posted by dagger22
It's just part of the troubleshooting process. What if the tune is flashed back, and the code doesn't appear? furthermore he would have paid for the tune, and if it's a capable tuner there should be some assistance rendered (especially if there are others who didn't have any issues with the same tune). Am sure he can get rid of it if he wants, but we do need to consider the services paid up and if they are willing to refund as well (the T&Cs)

If someone buys a piggyback unit and somehow hit upon an error after install, we would want to run through a similar troubleshooting process rather than just deem that the piggyback or all piggybacks are not good. It might be a bad install or configuration, or just coincidental that an error appeared at the same time the install was done.

Any modification have risks, so understanding such risks and setting the right expectations goes the long way. This will help the community to thrive and see where such modifications can take us to (for those who have the preference to mod of cos, not for those who prefer not to). Most (if not all) cars can be modded extensively, but it largely depends on the appetite of the community...
(just my few cents worth... LOL)
I use common sense over cents ☺️. Check the price of a new W205 clutch trust me very very expensive. Also add to it labor cost. So if i found out that this stage 1 caused a clutch issue i will get rid of it and look for an alternative. That is my opinion.