C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Feedback on CarPlay/Android Auto/Backup Camera for C300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 07:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Merceds Benz GLK
Thumbs up Feedback on CarPlay/Android Auto/Backup Camera for C300

Hey,

Just wanted to share my experience with the installation of CarPlay/Android Auto/Mirrorlink and Backup camera interface from Carsgadget on my wife's new 2015 C300. Such a surprise was to find out that C300 base model doesn't have a backup camera from the factory, crazy. Basically, what they told me is you can install this interface on all models 2015 and up with NTG5.0 radio. I wanted to do a whole write-up on this but CarsGadget recently released a great installation video so i am just gonna share it here. First, why i choose CarsGadget, 3 years ago i installed a backup camera kit from them on my GLK, i was easy to install following their instructions and video, it has OEM look, and the main part is, it's still working. This company has been around for a while, so they earned my trust. I wanted to install the same backup camera kit on C300 as i have on my GLK, checked on www.carsgadget.com website and found that they have a new model with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Mirrolink so decided to give it a try. What i can say: Wow, our C300 has now a new fresh feel with modern technology, the backup camera is great, the wireless CarPlay is an awesome feature to have for sure, Mirrolink is a fan too when i want to watch Youtube videos while my wife is behind the wheel. Hey, why not!
The installation took me about 3 hours following downloaded instructions from their website, if i saw their video earlier it may take me only a couple of hours. During the installation, i had a question, sent the email to CarsGadget support and they responded within 30minuts with clear instructions. They are located in the US that's why their responses are so fast. What i like is that the phone is connected to CarPlay automatically each time you get into the car. So you can listen to the music and navigate by google maps right the way. Siri commands using a factory microphone, controls are done via OEM buttons and the wheel on the central console, so everything looks and stays original. If you want to go to and from OEM radio menu just simply need to press and hold the "star" button. Everything is simple and perfect. Now i am thinking to upgrade the system on my GLK as well and may install the optional front camera. I will update you on that. Highly recommend their product. Hope it will help with your buying decision. Link to the installation video below:

Last edited by ilovemyglk; 09-10-2021 at 08:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ilovemyglk:
Cilo C Class (09-10-2021), f.majdalz (09-10-2021), Palamut (01-31-2023)
Old 09-16-2021, 10:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C400 ( W205 )
I installed the road top one, everything running smooth, the only problem i had is when i turn off the car the android auto stays connected and doesn't shut off, are you facing the same problem ?

Does that drain the battery ? Because i see the blutooth still connected.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 250 Bluetec 2015
Thanks for the information. I know it has been over a year since you posted this, but I was wondering if you proceeded with the installation of the unit with CarPlay in your GLK as well, and if you are happy with it. I have a 2015 GLK (NTG 4.5 radio) and am considering installing it.
Regarding the phone getting connected to CarPlay automatically each time you get into the car, I'd rather have CarPlay only when I want it. So does it need to be the wireless connection only, or can I activate it only when I plug the phone in the USB slot (AUX) ? Also, are the other USB and lightning connections still active, i.e. when I activate them via the TEL or DISC buttons, does it still function the way it normally does, or does AUX take over everything? Thanks in advance.