C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

GPS does strange things

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 206 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
GPS does strange things

I don’t understand the car GPS. Yes, I know I can use CarPlay. That’s not the question. I routed home. The GPS said 48 miles and 1 hour. I checked alternate routes. It showed exactly the same time but only 36 miles. The only difference is one has a speed limit of 70. The shorter one is 55. There are a few examples of this type of route. I don’t understand the logic.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,956 Likes on 2,637 Posts
2019 C63CS
I often compare the COMAND route to Google Maps, and most of the time they are the same, at least in the past. However, Google Maps has recently made a change and now suggests the most fuel efficient route first. Those are routes that have more constant speeds and less hills, and require less stopping at traffic lights etc. but could be longer. Check your route settings in COMAND. COMAND also has three route types you can select. Eco, Fastest and Shortest. Yours might be on Eco, so the route it suggested could have been the most economical despite being longer. There are also a number of things you can tell it to avoid, such as toll roads etc., and those settings will obviously affect the route. Make sure all your settings are the way you want them.

The following users liked this post:
Keith66 (10-14-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 206 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by superswiss
I often compare the COMAND route to Google Maps, and most of the time they are the same, at least in the past. However, Google Maps has recently made a change and now suggests the most fuel efficient route first. Those are routes that have more constant speeds and less hills, and require less stopping at traffic lights etc. but could be longer. Check your route settings in COMAND. COMAND also has three route types you can select. Eco, Fastest and Shortest. Yours might be on Eco, so the route it suggested could have been the most economical despite being longer. There are also a number of things you can tell it to avoid, such as toll roads etc., and those settings will obviously affect the route. Make sure all your settings are the way you want them.

My route setting is fast. I noticed another thing. There is an alternate route listing. I checked that out. I am familiar with both routes. One is more miles but shorter time because it’s all expressway. The shorter one was 5 min longer. I took the shorter one. By the time I was 1/2 way there, the ETA was down below the ETA of the original shorter time route.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,956 Likes on 2,637 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Elvisfan0108
My route setting is fast. I noticed another thing. There is an alternate route listing. I checked that out. I am familiar with both routes. One is more miles but shorter time because it’s all expressway. The shorter one was 5 min longer. I took the shorter one. By the time I was 1/2 way there, the ETA was down below the ETA of the original shorter time route.
Well, the ETA and route selection is dynamic and is constantly updated based on your actual progress and current traffic situation. Over the course of an hour, the traffic situation can change and one route can suddenly become faster than the other. It will also suggest a new route if it finds a faster one based on the current traffic. Mine regularly reroutes me based on traffic. At the beginning of the route, the ETA is at best a guestimate, based on the traffic at the time and the prevailing speed limits. But if you make faster progress, and/or are driving above the speed limit for example, and/or have a green wave, then the ETA will adjust downward, but it can also go upward if there's suddenly traffic or an incident on your current route. Routing is very dynamic when you factor in traffic.