C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Brake squeaking/creaking when slowly releasing brakes in D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2021 | 12:02 PM

2017 Mercedes c 180
Brake squeaking/creaking when slowly releasing brakes in D

so I recently bought a used 2017 c180 and since first day when you slowly release the brakes in D it will make a very hight pitched creaking noise coming from the front rotors. And when completely stopped while in D and try turning the steering wheel left or right while pressing on brakes the rear rotors will make a squeaking/creaking/ clunking noise. So I took my car to be serviced ( official dealer )and they changed oil and brake pads and to my surprise the same noise when slowly I breaking or releasing the brakes is still there so I took it back and they they told me it’s just how it is will be there is nothing to do all automatic Mercedes have this problem. I was so surprised I went to a different dealership and asked to change the rotors but they told me even if you change the rotors the sound will come back in 2 days or so. I never drove a Mercedes before but I don’t think it’s how it’s supposed to sound like, brakes work perfectly fine but the sound is very embarrassing it’s like I’m driving a piece of sh**t but it’s a Mercedes i don’t know what to do. Like I drive Kia bmw skoda all automatic but never heard this noise before and 2 dealership are telling me it’s normal and even some new cars have it.

some other dealerships asked to bring it for diagnostic but I don’t want to take and pay just to hear the same thing I heated twice FWI the noise if very loud inside and outside the cabin it’s very embarrassing I’ll make a video of the noise, but until then is anyone else having the same issue and are there any solution?
Old 12-21-2021 | 09:17 PM

2014 GL 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Hazemc180
so I recently bought a used 2017 c180 and since first day when you slowly release the brakes in D it will make a very hight pitched creaking noise coming from the front rotors. And when completely stopped while in D and try turning the steering wheel left or right while pressing on brakes the rear rotors will make a squeaking/creaking/ clunking noise. So I took my car to be serviced ( official dealer )and they changed oil and brake pads and to my surprise the same noise when slowly I breaking or releasing the brakes is still there so I took it back and they they told me it’s just how it is will be there is nothing to do all automatic Mercedes have this problem. I was so surprised I went to a different dealership and asked to change the rotors but they told me even if you change the rotors the sound will come back in 2 days or so. I never drove a Mercedes before but I don’t think it’s how it’s supposed to sound like, brakes work perfectly fine but the sound is very embarrassing it’s like I’m driving a piece of sh**t but it’s a Mercedes i don’t know what to do. Like I drive Kia bmw skoda all automatic but never heard this noise before and 2 dealership are telling me it’s normal and even some new cars have it.

some other dealerships asked to bring it for diagnostic but I don’t want to take and pay just to hear the same thing I heated twice FWI the noise if very loud inside and outside the cabin it’s very embarrassing I’ll make a video of the noise, but until then is anyone else having the same issue and are there any solution?
I have a '14 GL350 and it does the same thing. It's super embarrassing and only getting worse. I would take it in and ask why it does that. They would tell me what you heard that the Mercedes just do that. I'm like that's ridiculous for this amount of $ the breaks shouldn't be squealing. Mine doesn't do it when I turn, but slowly breaking a few mph it will in my neighborhood. I took it again and they said the rotors have a lip on them and I could change in the next few months. I guarantee they will still do it like you said.
Old 12-22-2021 | 02:23 PM

2017 Mercedes c 180
Originally Posted by Ntuck
I have a '14 GL350 and it does the same thing. It's super embarrassing and only getting worse. I would take it in and ask why it does that. They would tell me what you heard that the Mercedes just do that. I'm like that's ridiculous for this amount of $ the breaks shouldn't be squealing. Mine doesn't do it when I turn, but slowly breaking a few mph it will in my neighborhood. I took it again and they said the rotors have a lip on them and I could change in the next few months. I guarantee they will still do it like you said.

I was thinking about changing the rotors as well but I’m still debating it.

what I figured out so far that all Mercedes have it, but it’s just that some are louder than others, what I can’t seem to figure out is what’s amplifying the noise, is it rust, is it bad rotors …. I can’t seem to tell and Benz dealers don’t even want to look at it they just say all Mercedes have this noise but what they don’t say is that yes they have it but to a certain degree and loudness .

please let me how it goes if you even change the rotors
Old 12-23-2021 | 08:19 AM
Veteran: Navy

2018 C350WE
I believe this is a common theme having to deal with drilled (or slotted) rotors. Mine are the same way and my brakes were just serviced.
Old 12-23-2021 | 08:43 AM

2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
My previous GLK 350 didn't have any break noise with solid rotors, but the brand new GLB 35 AMG with perforated rotors has lots of it esp when the car/breaks are cold... It was posted previously with a Porsche video as it comes with the performance breaks:

https://www.prestigeimports.net/pors...eal-explained/

My MB service mgr recommended hard breaking as posted in the article also:

"If you are only noticing brake squeal (without other braking symptoms), and you are up for trying a quick fix, give this a try … Hard Braking.Next time you are on an isolated road/parking lot, with no one behind you, go through a few cycles of speeding up and then hitting the brakes harder than you normally would. Obviously you don’t want to brake hard enough to cause a skid, you just want to push it a little more than you would in normal day-to-day driving. The harder application of force can help normalize pad pressure distribution and reduce the squealing."
The following users liked this post:
evanmarko (01-04-2022)