C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Need Help Removing W205 Fuel Door Hinge Assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300, C63S
Need Help Removing W205 Fuel Door Hinge Assembly

I had an unfortunate incident that caused the fuel door hinge to crack on my 2016 C300 sedan. I need to replace the fuel door hinge assembly but I can't figure-out how to remove it. I removed the door actuator and tried to free the assembly from it's clips by pulling the assembly downward starting from the top left corner through the actuator hole with no luck. I read on another post that you have to drill-out the recessed plastic hole areas in the assembly body and then, using a screw driver, releasing the clips that hold the assembly in place. Another post suggested using a flat head screwdriver to release the clips through the holes but didn't specify if the holes had to be made through drilling the recessed areas (mentioned above) or by somehow using the actuator hole opening to access at least one clip to start the removal. Can anyone weigh-in on this challenge?
Old 01-28-2022, 05:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,044 Likes on 967 Posts
1999 E300TD
most folks would go to MB WIS for the correct procedure rather than asking ones girlfriend----either subscribe or go to ebay for a copy-----dont FTU
Old 01-29-2022, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts
W205 2015
See if this helps or give you some ideas:

Old 01-29-2022, 09:01 AM

C300, C63S
Originally Posted by Andy74
See if this helps or give you some ideas:

Thanks for the response Andy but my problem is with the gas door hinge detail, the one you open to insert a pump nozzle when you are at a gas station.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts
W205 2015
Originally Posted by bobbyo1123
Thanks for the response Andy but my problem is with the gas door hinge detail, the one you open to insert a pump nozzle when you are at a gas station.
Oh ok.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:43 PM

C300, C63S
Replaced my 2016 C300 fuel door hinge assembly (tank filler recess) today. Thought I would follow-up with some key learnings from this experience. This is not a difficult job to perform if you know what to expect. Let me first start off noting that the MB WIS procedure for this job is a high level instruction that doesn't cover the details of pinch points.

1. Order the replacement part and use it to understand how this assembly is put together before you start this job. This is an extremely important step that makes doing this job much easier.
2. Take a picture of the plastic recess before you start removing. Pay particular attention to how the integrated rubber seal of the hinge assembly fits over the gas cap receptacle.
3. Remove the door actuator from the recess by lifting the holding tabs with a small screwdriver and folding it forward to remove. Pull-out white plastic retaining strip and disconnect electrical connector. This step is well-covered in YouTube videos.
4. Drill a 3mm hole (or so) in each of the four corner housing dimples to gain access to the holding tabs so they can be accessed for releasing them using a small screwdriver. Look at the replacement part to see how these tabs can be manipulated and, in some cases, you will break them off when prying with a screwdriver which is perfectly fine. Note that the plastic housing clips to the steel fender opening and not to some mating plastic clip holder, hence breaking the tabs off is no big deal.
5. Order of housing unclipping is actuator side first, hinge side last. Once all four corners are released, pull housing out from opening a small amount to allow access to overflow tubing.
6. You need to pull and twist the housing to remove it but know that there are two hurdles to jump before it can be fully removed. The overflow tube in the housing needs to be freed by pulling the housing far enough away from the fender to allow you to, using a longer screwdriver, work the overflow hose off the mating housing male fitting. Look at the new part and note that the male fitting is barbed on the bottom so it will take some pressure and prying to remove.
7. Manipulate filler neck rubber seal off the neck and then you can remove housing.
8. To install the new housing, work the hinge side in first but realize that you have to reattach the overflow tube to its hose before you snap into place. Note that one of the hinge side clips may engage but that's OK but be careful not to stress that area during next steps. Pull (and I mean pull) the overflow hose out far enough from the rubber back seal to allow you to connect it. In my case, the hose had to be pulled back through the rear rubber seal with a pliers to get it back into place for reattachment to the housing. I would recommend putting some Vaseline on the hose fitting to make the slip-on easier. Position the rubber filler neck seal over the filler neck but not necessary to put totally in place right now as it can be done after housing is snapped in.
9. Once the overflow tube is connected, manipulate and begin to position the rest of the housing to be snapped-in. Note that you have to route the actuator electrical cable through its opening at some point. Either have it positioned to route the cable through the actuator opening after snapping the housing in place or route it through the opening before completing the housing snap-in.
10. Push hard on all four corner housing clip points to be sure the housing is fully clipped. You should hear a distinct snap click when clips engage to fender,
11. Once totally clipped, work the filler neck seal into place using a round/blunt instrument and finger. Look at the picture you took earlier to understand how a properly positioned seal on the filler neck would look.
12. Reinstall door actuator by connecting wires and snapping actuator back into place.
13. The removal and reinstallation of the fuel door itself to the hinge assembly is well documented in other YouTube videos.

Congratulations, you just saved hundreds of dollars by doing the work yourself!
The following users liked this post:
benzdude (02-05-2022)