C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

I fxcked up rear brake job. Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 2019
I fxcked up rear brake job. Help!

I messed up my rear driver caliper. I put the car into the brake service mode to retract the brake piston but i had a friend at the time say oh its not fully retracted and i stupidly pressed ok inside the car to exit fitting position while the caliper was off so it pushed the brake piston all the way out and bunch of fluid came out then soon after the whole piston came out . I got a parking brake light malfunction light on, at this point I've already ordered a new rear caliper and waiting for it to arrive. My question is once I install this new caliper will the car detect that the parking brake portion is fixed now or will I need some computer to reset the code? 2019 c43 sedan
Old 04-25-2022, 04:36 PM

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
2015 C400 4MATIC Palladium Silver Metallic
Oh man, that does not sound good.

Let me preface this by saying, I'm not in any way a certified mechanic, but I've had several cars under several shade trees over the years

Since you've already ordered a new caliper, I would shoot my shot and try to re-assemble and reinstall the old one and see what happens. You'll have the incoming new caliper as a fall back plan in any case.

I'm unsure of the interaction between ebrake modules and controllers on MB, but on Audis they are not coded to each other or paired in any way.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:41 PM

C43 2019
lol yeah not good is right. I've already retried to reassemble and put back in the old caliper and it still gives me the parking brake error. I was hoping I would be able to move the car a couple feet so it wasn't dead smack in the middle of my garage but when i started her up the parking brake wouldn't disengage on the right side (working side) so it lead me to think if the code would even go away once the left side new caliper is installed. Normally i'm no stranger to working on my own cars but these damn newer electronic everything cars got me fxcked up lol.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:44 AM

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
16' C63s, 22' RAM 1500
I've done this also.. did you happen to bleed the brake system after? I did and got no message
Old 02-10-2023, 11:28 AM

2013 ml350
Originally Posted by Slow43
I messed up my rear driver caliper. I put the car into the brake service mode to retract the brake piston but i had a friend at the time say oh its not fully retracted and i stupidly pressed ok inside the car to exit fitting position while the caliper was off so it pushed the brake piston all the way out and bunch of fluid came out then soon after the whole piston came out . I got a parking brake light malfunction light on, at this point I've already ordered a new rear caliper and waiting for it to arrive. My question is once I install this new caliper will the car detect that the parking brake portion is fixed now or will I need some computer to reset the code? 2019 c43 sedan
I did the same thing. How did you fix this??
Old 02-10-2023, 11:35 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Lemme just say kudos for trying. GL and I'm sure it'll work out
Old 02-10-2023, 02:35 PM

c180 coupe 2016
Hahah bro i just had the same idiot friend who did the same thing,
we took the caliper with the piston and went to a near by service center and they reassembled the caliper back again .
Once we placed the new pads in and did the pad replacement program again the issue fixed
Old 02-10-2023, 02:50 PM

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
Hey, I did the same thing on my car. I set it up using the dash and when I went to push the piston back it would not seem to move so I thought I mess it up. So I went back in and pressed ok and the piston got pushed right out.

I looked at it and it was messed up completely so I towed my car back to MB and they replaced my caliper. I originally asked them to rebuild it but they told me that the caliper can't be rebuilt if the piston came out because there are lots of little bearings that need to sit in the piston's lower channel and there is no way to do that.

Wish I had an answer to your question but I do know this. Install the caliper and and make sure the brake fluid is topped up. Run the brake replacement and after, that end the brake replacement which should set the pads.

Another thing I did so that I would never mess this up again was that I ordered the latest MBII so that I can just select brake service and it does it for me and when I'm done, I just let them MBII reset everything and it all works perfectly.