C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Aftermarket Android Screens - Downsides

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 784 Likes on 534 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Aftermarket Android Screens - Downsides

I've been eyeballing the aftermarket android OEM screen upgrades for a couple of years now. What keeps holding me back from doing so is the small feature losses and switching needed from Android to NTG compared to the OEM screen.

I got close to purchasing one recently (DMP Car Design) but I keep getting hung-up on not wanting to switch back and forth between Android and NTG.

An example of what I mean is; I need and use the temperature, A/C and fan speed bar at the bottom of the OEM screen a lot. Does anyone know if that bar still automatically pops-up while you are in Android?

For those that have done this upgrade, what are some of the things that are missing from the OEM screen that you have to switch to NTG for, or that bother you about the Android screen?

TIA!

Old 05-09-2022, 07:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
AMG C43
I have a Navifly N600 for over a year. In Apple CarPlay it pops up climate lower banner, when you change anything. I don't know about newer screens, but it would be silly to remove that feature in the software. I find little use for NTG myself. I just use CarPlay.

Jay
The following users liked this post:
Keith66 (05-10-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 09:08 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
2015 C400
I installed a Roadtop Android 11, 10.25” unit a few weeks ago. So far, I love it. Pretty straightforward overall. I still need to do some fine tuning, but overall, fully integrated.

I had the non-command stock system, so not missing much from the NTG. Only time I go back is for the radio, but I could probably get that on Android as well, just haven’t looked hard enough. Also, having Amazon music and Pandora at my fingertips helps!

Keith66 (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Thanks for the feedback y'all, this is very helpful!

I agree, it would be silly to remove the climate lower banner, but I can't see it on any of the descriptions, screenshots or videos I've watched so it was making me nervous it's not there.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Another thing I'm not sure about... I want my car completely isolated from my phone and to never have the need to connect my phone to the car under any circumstances.

My plan is to create a unique Google account for the car Android and using a 4G data only plan/SIM card.

Has anyone done this and does everything work as expected, Google nav, etc.? (except calling features of course, don't need that anyways)

Old 05-10-2022, 01:32 PM

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by Keith66
Another thing I'm not sure about... I want my car completely isolated from my phone and to never have the need to connect my phone to the car under any circumstances.

My plan is to create a unique Google account for the car Android and using a 4G data only plan/SIM card.

Has anyone done this and does everything work as expected, Google nav, etc.? (except calling features of course, don't need that anyways)
You can do that without a problem with these units, if the SIM supports it you can even call through it (but don't need to if you don't download an app for it).
Whilst the unit I had was at the end of my life with W205 a glorified CarPlay screen, I had a SIM card installed in it with which you didn't need to have the phone on you at all; Spotify, Google Maps, even the likes of Netflix etc. worked just fine.
If you do decide to go for it I'd suggest checking out https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_GB&gl=US it makes the Android screen feel like an NTG5.5 unit.
Keith66 (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by PaulR7
You can do that without a problem with these units, if the SIM supports it you can even call through it (but don't need to if you don't download an app for it).
Whilst the unit I had was at the end of my life with W205 a glorified CarPlay screen, I had a SIM card installed in it with which you didn't need to have the phone on you at all; Spotify, Google Maps, even the likes of Netflix etc. worked just fine.
If you do decide to go for it I'd suggest checking out https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_GB&gl=US it makes the Android screen feel like an NTG5.5 unit.
Excellent! Thank you Paul! I'm happy to know the system can work as a stand-alone internet-connected device. I just want to turn the car on and it works, without being dependent on any other device. Also, for my own personal security reasons, there's no way I'm allowing my personal and business accounts' data to be stored/accessible by my car or this aftermarket device made by "who-knows-who".

Ooo, that interface app looks sweet. Thanks!

I'm getting closer to a decision to just do this. Maybe.

Trending Topics

Old 05-10-2022, 03:11 PM

W205
Excellent! Thank you Paul! I'm happy to know the system can work as a stand-alone internet-connected device. I just want to turn the car on and it works, without being dependent on any other device. Also, for my own personal security reasons, there's no way I'm allowing my personal and business accounts' data to be stored/accessible by my car or this aftermarket device made by "who-knows-who".

Ooo, that interface app looks sweet. Thanks!

I'm getting closer to a decision to just do this. Maybe.
Before you make a decision, be aware the sound options on W205 are quite limited, if you have COMAND unit you can enable AUX input (there are dongles on AliExpress) that's present on the quadlock connector and have the sound running through there which is the best option, if not I'd suggest looking for a screen with a DSP100 connector that kinda simulates the AUX; the units with the USB to AUX adapter just suck, the sound quality and volume are poor and you get a significant sound delay which makes watching video with sound a chore.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Before you make a decision, be aware the sound options on W205 are quite limited, if you have COMAND unit you can enable AUX input (there are dongles on AliExpress) that's present on the quadlock connector and have the sound running through there which is the best option, if not I'd suggest looking for a screen with a DSP100 connector that kinda simulates the AUX; the units with the USB to AUX adapter just suck, the sound quality and volume are poor and you get a significant sound delay which makes watching video with sound a chore.
Hmm, interesting. I have COMAND NTG 5.x. So you're saying that plugging in the aftermarket screen USB cable to the #2 USB receptacle in the center console compartment, then choosing the Media Interface 2 in COMAND as the input is troublesome? This is good to know. I definitely don't want to do all of this work to have sucky sound!

Are you talking about something like this, and connecting the Android screen to the factory COMAND headunit with RCA jacks instead of the default kit USB setup? https://www.ebay.com/itm/264389006609

Thank you!

Old 05-10-2022, 04:41 PM

W205
Hmm, interesting. I have COMAND NTG 5.x. So you're saying that plugging in the aftermarket screen USB cable to the #2 USB receptacle in the center console compartment, then choosing the Media Interface 2 in COMAND as the input is troublesome? This is good to know. I definitely don't want to do all of this work to have sucky sound!

Are you talking about something like this, and connecting the Android screen to the factory COMAND headunit with RCA jacks instead of the default kit USB setup? https://www.ebay.com/itm/264389006609

Thank you!
Yes, that's precisely what I meant by USB to AUX converter. Using it gets you really poor quality sound.
The harness for COMAND actually has AUX already there, you just need to enable it with coding so I'm talking about something like https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003639367545.html
Old 05-10-2022, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Yes, that's precisely what I meant by USB to AUX converter. Using it gets you really poor quality sound.
The harness for COMAND actually has AUX already there, you just need to enable it with coding so I'm talking about something like https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003639367545.html
Ah! Even better (and cheaper!). Thank you very much for this info Paul. You just saved me (and anyone else who reads this) a lot of pain and heartache!

Old 05-11-2022, 12:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C43
I currently have the DMP screen and you are totally right the sound quality isn’t very good. Keep in mind once you activate the AUX you need to then install a DAC to bypass the screens EQ. From there you will need to hack the screen so that the volume stays at 100. For safety it goes back to 30. I am currently looking for a dongle for my 2019 GLC63s with command NTG5 to activate AUX. I looked at the link you posted but it says up to 2017. Can you help me find the correct one for my vehicle.
Keith66 (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Well, I done did it. Order has been placed.

I guess once I get it in and running I can add my own downsides, if any (hopefully not!)

Bought from DMP.

The following 2 users liked this post by Keith66:
Darrington (05-11-2022), DogeCoin (05-13-2022)
Old 09-01-2023, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLK 350
Well, I done did it. Order has been placed.

I guess once I get it in and running I can add my own downsides, if any (hopefully not!)

Bought from DMP.

Please post the results and learnings
Old 09-01-2023, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by Abidc
Please post the results and learnings
I no longer have the W205 but overall I was happy with the new screen and didn't have any regrets.

The best tip I can pass along is to use the COMAND AUX IN as your audio source by connecting the Android screen 3.5mm audio out male jack (single wire) to the AUX IN pigtail female jack coming out of the wiring harness terminal block connecting to the COMAND head unit.

You will need to activate AUX IN on your COMAND head unit in order to select AUX IN as your audio source (I used a OBD flash module I got on Ebay to activate mine).

This will eliminate the audio quality and audio delay issues that plague a lot of the USB audio connections.

Some more info:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post8651079

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...cher-apps.html

Last edited by Keith66; 09-02-2023 at 12:03 AM.
Abidc (09-02-2023)
Old 01-03-2024, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63S coupe c205
Originally Posted by Two_Eyes
I currently have the DMP screen and you are totally right the sound quality isn’t very good. Keep in mind once you activate the AUX you need to then install a DAC to bypass the screens EQ. From there you will need to hack the screen so that the volume stays at 100. For safety it goes back to 30. I am currently looking for a dongle for my 2019 GLC63s with command NTG5 to activate AUX. I looked at the link you posted but it says up to 2017. Can you help me find the correct one for my vehicle.
Reviving old thread
can you give a little more explanation on this about the DAC?
many thanks