C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Mercedes W205 Hardwire Dashcam Install Issue Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C43
Mercedes W205 Hardwire Dashcam Install Issue Help

Good afternoon!

Vehicle: 2017 C43 AMG (U.S. sedan)

So I just picked up a Thinkware Q800Pro and Thinkware hardwire kit.

I installed the dashcam and the hardwire kit. The Thinkware hardwire kit has a ground, red lead for ACC and yellow lead for BAT.

I've read some suggestions folks said to tap into fuse 216 which is the glove box lamp. Well, I don't have that fuse oddly enough, or at least an empty slot I can slot one. (2017 C43 U.S. sedan).

So, I went ahead and used fuses 204 (diagnostic connector, 5 amp) and fuse 219 (weight sensing system (WSS) control unit , 5 amp). I saw someone else suggest this.

I used a fuse tap for the ACC lead into fuse 219 (WSS control unit) and reinserted/used the 5amp fuse on the fuse tap (with the ACC lead being connected to the but plug on the tap).

I did not use a fuse tap for the BAT lead into fuse 204 (diagnostic connector) and wrapped the wire around the leg of the same 5 amp fuse and re-inserted.

Well here's the problem, I know have 2 errors:
1. Front right airbag malfunction service required (I expect because I tapped that weight sensing system used for the passenger side airbag weight sensor)
2. Active break assist functions limited (unsure why this popped up)

Now, the dashcam works, I can go into live mode when on ACC power. I took it for a quick drive to see if these errors would clear, it didn't appear to record anything once the vehicle started (I didn't notice if the lights stayed on).

My goal was to ONLY have the dash cam stay on when the car is on. I did not want it to stay on when the car is off. (I believe 204 was BAT power so I think it might). I tried tapping into JUST 219/WSS system and left the BAT lead on the hardwire kit unplugged but the dash cam didn't seem to power on ACC power. It only seemed to power when they were both connected.

Anyways, any ideas? My first thought was maybe I needed to replace the 5amp fuses with higher fuses like 10amps? Should I use different fuses? I'm not sure here. Well that's all I've got. I'd appreciate some help.
Old 06-11-2022, 04:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C43
So, I'd just like to say that I solved the issue.

The fuse tap I used for ACC power has room for 2 fuses. I only put the one 5 amp fuse in from the WSS control unit fuse I pulled. I added a second 10 amp fuse the Blackbox my car hardwire accessory kit came with.

I then changed the BAT lead to the analog clock fuse, 206.

This cleared both service messages and now the dash cam works great, and with parking mode disabled, the dash cam shuts down when the car is turned off.

Sorry everyone, but I'm good to go.
The following users liked this post:
Kush Desai (06-13-2022)