C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Does cluster need to be changed when switching to NTG5.5 on prefacelift W205?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C300
Talking Does cluster need to be changed when switching to NTG5.5 on prefacelift W205?

I have a pre-facelift 2017 C300 W205 with an analog cluster and the small screen (Audio 20 NTG 5.0 compatible). I want a bigger screen and CarPlay but I don't want to use aftermarket android screens and want to use OEM stuff if I can. I found a shop in Toronto that has the OEM NTG5.5 display and head unit and they said they can install it in my C300 but that I would need to also get their digital display cluster to get the NTG5.5 unit and cluster to work properly together. They said if I change to the NTG5.5 unit I also need to get their digital display cluster installed in order to get accurate information (like gas mileage and stuff, etc.) but when I asked if theirs was OEM they said the NTG5.5 unit is but the digital display cluster was aftermarket but similar. I would prefer to keep the OEM analog cluster in my car while having the updated NTG 5.5 unit if possible and not switch to the digital cluster.

What I don't get is why their Chinese aftermarket digital display would work better better with a genuine OEM NTG5.5 unit than the OEM German analog display currently in the car. It just didn't make much sense to me. I've also done some research and it seems switching to the digital display from analog will require cutting into the dash which I'm not excited about. Also adding their digital display will add on a lot of money to the work so I'm wondering if what their saying is true or if its to get more money. I've been to these guys for other work in my C300 before and they've done great work and made a lot of good mods, so I know they're good, I just don't know about this. Do I actually need a aftermarket digital display to get the NTG5.5 to work properly in my car or will the analog cluster work fine with the NTG5.5 unit. I'm starting to reconsider whether this may actually be worth it or not. Thanks for reading and any insights you guys might have.

What I currently have on top (vs.) What they would do on bottom

Last edited by NaiduBenz; 08-06-2023 at 06:06 PM.