C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Unstable Right Rear Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C300 4MATIC
Exclamation Unstable Right Rear Wheel

I bought my car in 2021 with 20,000 miles. It is my 14th Mercedes Benz and i know and love the brand. Soon after I detected a noise from the left front wheel. I recognized the noise as the noise of a faulty or defective shock. took it the dealer and they fix the problem. Never told what the cause was despite my four inquiries to my service advisor, but the noise was gone. But, then i was able to detect a similar noise from the right rear wheel. It came with the additional issue of the wheel lis unstable and loses traction when I'm m in a left curve and when i drive over even a slight bump on the road. The happens at low speeds beyween 25 - 35 mph.It quickly corrects itself and im sure it's the 4matic technology doing it's job. Took it back to the dealer and explained the issue. Whnitionaited for my car while being check. Wasn't long when my service advisor appeared test report in hand. he said that the he and the service tech took the car for a test and neither one of them heard the noise. His conclusion was that what I hear is road noise. I was stunned, offended and insulted, all by his dismissive attitude . He was done, I had the closed work order in had. I was still speechless as he walked away. The car was still under warranty! Does anyone have any advice? I have changed my dealership to Beverly Hills Mercedes Benz. They have serviced my cars in the past and i was never unhappy with them. I like to be more informed before I contact with a service supervisor. I would love to mention the name of the dealership I will ebere ever use again, but it is risky. It is now more than a year since this incident. Meanwhile, every time i drive my car im am upset and uphappy with a car that in every since is a perfect mercedes benz product and get no joy from. LA traffic is busy and congested and i grip the steering tighter and feel unsafe when every couple of mie when i feel the right rear wheel losing traction. I noticed my head's slight by definite jerking side to side from the fishtail like experience. I welcome all input. I would love to love my car, like everyone on this forum does. At the moment my cars mileage is 36,000 miles. im upset that i have this issue with it and sometimes feel it was a $30,000 mistake. I paid cash for it.
Thank you.

A side remark: I have never known anyone complaining about mercedes benz have road noise issues. My Dad at one point owned 11 Mercedes Benz 200D. His hobby was to buy these 1960 models when te owner abandoned them when their engines failed from abusive use like over-reving. This was in south africa where most farmers owned these diesel models. My Dad was a magician when it came to rebuilding the engines.

Last edited by Leon; 01-09-2024 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Amg C43
I would take the service adviser for a ride and show him the problem in person.
I’ve also read posts on here where guys took the car to a local indy shop and if they find a problem bring that back to Benz and ask them to fix it or tell you that the specific problem the Indy found is not there.
I’ve not always had great experiences with dealerships but there is clearly a problem with your car. And if there’s bad parts on your car then that’s something that can be proven.

sorry for your exp here.
I had Benz basically buy back my last car
Old 01-25-2024, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C300 4MATIC
Update: I finally made an appointment with Mercedes Benz of Beverly Hills and took my car in yesterday. I discussed my issue my C300 4Matic seems to be plagued with. I have had a growing concern that all four shock on my car were/are defective, since I bought my car in May 2021. Another MBZ Dealership had already replaced my left front shock when I took my car in for the same problem and the same noise i now still have with my right rear wheel. Since my original post, and as recently as last Sunday, 1/21/24, I had a terrifying experience with my C300. We don't often have rain in Los Angeles, but last weekend we had heavy rains over the weekend. On Saturday, I was driving along Ventura Blvd, on the stretch of Ventura Blvd near Universal Studio. I often use Ventura Blvd. Along this stretch of road, there is one long, slow left bend in the road. Ventura is also a blvd of faster moving traffic in both lanes, but particularly when there's lighter traffic. I am guilty of my bad habit of driving faster than I should. So, in this turn is where I always have been able to assess the issue I have with my unstable right rear wheel and the many uneven patches of road repairs and manhole covers. But this was my first experience in this curve on Ventura Blvd, on the wet road surface of the rain. My wheel loses traction as it is, and I have become used to it. But on Sunday, my car's backend did not recover its grip on the road, in such a way that I instantly expected that I am in trouble with my car. And there was a car in the slow lane, next to me. I fully expected to that I was about the cause and accident. That was it from me and this problem I've had with my C300. This was the my car's condition when I bought it with 20,564 miles on the Odometer. Now, after almost 3 years later, i have added only 16,000 additional miles. My ODO reads 36, 865 miles as of two days ago.WTF?

Finally my point: My service advisor at MBZ BH assisted with scheduling my car for an in-depth look at what the problem is with my unstable back while. I know it is the shock, and possibly now other connections and rubber mountings of all the stabilizer arms that are connected to the wheel with it's 4Matic technology, has been worn out as well.

I am hopeful the outcome of my situation with be successful. I am prepared, just in case Mercedes disappoints me expectations and decline to repair the problem with my car, or even if they agree to make it right, the al have to honor my $4,000.00 Extended Factory Warranty I purchased from this MBZ BH Dealership in June 2021. If needed, I will sell this car as soon as I can secure a financial deal that suits me well enough. My C300, with it's low mileage, has retained it value as it should have, has a Kelly Blue Book Value of just below $20,000.

I plan to close his post with the outcome of my February 8 appointment with MBZ BH. It is possible that they will keep my car for at least 3 days. Not a problem - my service advisor has reserved a courtesy vehicle for me to use while my car is in their shop. They can have it for as long as they need to work on my car.

Thanks for listening.