C-Class (W206) 2021 to

4Matic for W206 C-Class and Wheel Sizes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW Jetta
4Matic for W206 C-Class and Wheel Sizes

Couple of things. It is my understanding that the C-Class has a permanent AWD system. My question is concerning the torque split between the front and rear axles.
  • 4MATIC® Permanent All-Wheel Drive: This AWD system is available on Mercedes-Benz vehicles, such as the C-Class and GLC SUV. 4MATIC® Permanent AWD divides the output between the vehicle’s axles at either a 45:55 ratio or 50:50 ratio. This depends on which model you own. The benefits of 4MATIC® Permanent AWD include better handling in inclement weather and a smoother driving experience.
Can anyone elaborate on this information and does it apply to the upcoming W206 C-Class?

Also, why are the wheel sizes different on the upcoming car. It seems from the order guide the tires on the rear have a different width and aspect ratio but same wheel/rim diameter. I thought tires had to be rotated at certain mileage and it seems this would present a problem with regards to rotating tires from front to rear and rear to front. Any explanation would be welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

One other observation. I read somewhere and saw video where they mentioned rear axle steering being available as an option on the W206 C-Class. Apparently that will NOT be offered in the U.S. market?

Last edited by GregMav; 06-23-2021 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Adding something I forgot yesterday
Old 06-23-2021, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by GregMav
Couple of things. It is my understanding that the C-Class has a permanent AWD system. My question is concerning the torque split between the front and rear axles.
  • 4MATIC® Permanent All-Wheel Drive: This AWD system is available on Mercedes-Benz vehicles, such as the C-Class and GLC SUV. 4MATIC® Permanent AWD divides the output between the vehicle’s axles at either a 45:55 ratio or 50:50 ratio. This depends on which model you own. The benefits of 4MATIC® Permanent AWD include better handling in inclement weather and a smoother driving experience.
Can anyone elaborate on this information and does it apply to the upcoming W206 C-Class?

Also, why are the wheel sizes different on the upcoming car. It seems from the order guide the tires on the rear have a different width and aspect ratio but same wheel/rim diameter. I thought tires had to be rotated at certain mileage and it seems this would present a problem with regards to rotating tires from front to rear and rear to front. Any explanation would be welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
Staggard tire sizes are the norm on AMG Mercs or those with the AMG option package. You cannot rotate those, thus shorter tread life. Just a fact of life. As for why? Big rear tires are “cool”. Under normal driving conditions I don’t think it adds or detracts from handling.

my .02
Old 06-24-2021, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500

One other observation. I read somewhere and saw video where they mentioned rear axle steering being available as an option on the W206 C-Class. Apparently that will NOT be offered in the U.S. market?
Regular 4MATIC is at a fixed ratio. 4MATIC+ allows for variable ratios.
Far as I know 4 wheel steering is not in the mix for the US market.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:36 PM

2008 VW Jetta
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
Regular 4MATIC is at a fixed ratio. 4MATIC+ allows for variable ratios.
Far as I know 4 wheel steering is not in the mix for the US market.
I appreciate the information, but do you have any idea what the ratio might be on the upcoming W206 C-Class? Is it the 45:55 split or is it 50:50? Is there any information on that, yet?
Old 06-25-2021, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
I appreciate the information, but do you have any idea what the ratio might be on the upcoming W206 C-Class? Is it the 45:55 split or is it 50:50? Is there any information on that, yet?
The only 50:50 split I am aware of is in the 4MATIC+.
The following users liked this post:
Arnold1960 (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 04:43 AM

2008 VW Jetta
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
The only 50:50 split I am aware of is in the 4MATIC+.

I was doing some research and according to the Mercedes US web site the C-Class utilizes the Permanent 4Matic system which apparently is always in action with a fixed torque split so power is always applied to all 4 wheels. The web site also appears to show 4Matic+ is an AMG based and "continuously calculates the ideal torque distribution enabling a seamless transition from all-wheel drive to 100% rear wheel drive, for optimum traction and hallmark AMG driving dynamics".

4Matic Permanent All Wheel Drive appears to be offered on current W205 C-Class and I am assuming it will be the same drive system on the upcoming W206 C-Class, as well. So, seeing as the torque split is fixed on the C-Class I was just wondering if it is going to be 45:55 or 50:50

44MATIC+ for AMG continuously calculates the ideal torque distribution, enabling a seamless transition from all-wheel drive to 100% rear-wheel drive, for optimum traction and hallmark AMG driving dynamics.Mhttps://www.mbusa.com/en/best-or-nothing/4MATIC#:~:text=4MATIC%2B%20for%20AMG%20continuousl y%20calculates%20the%20ideal%20torque%20distributi on%2C%20enabling%20a%20seamless%20transition%20fro m%20all-wheel%20drive%20to%20100%25%20rear-wheel%20drive%2C%20for%20optimum%20traction%20and% 20hallmark%20AMG%20driving%20dynamics.ATIC+ for AMG continuously calculates the ideal torque distribution, enabling a seamless transition from all-wheel drive to 100% rear-wheel drive, for optimum traction and hallmark AMG driving dynamics.4MATIC+ for AMG continuously calculates the ideal torque distribution, enabling a seamless transition from all-wheel drive to 100% rear-wheel drive, for optimum traction and hallmark AMG driving dynamics.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was doing some research and according to the Mercedes US web site the C-Class utilizes the Permanent 4Matic system which apparently is always in action with a fixed torque split so power is always applied to all 4 wheels. The web site also appears to show 4Matic+ is an AMG based and "continuously calculates the ideal torque distribution enabling a seamless transition from all-wheel drive to 100% rear wheel drive, for optimum traction and hallmark AMG driving dynamics".

4Matic Permanent All Wheel Drive appears to be offered on current W205 C-Class and I am assuming it will be the same drive system on the upcoming W206 C-Class, as well. So, seeing as the torque split is fixed on the C-Class I was just wondering if it is going to be 45:55 or 50:50

44MATIC+ for AMG continuously calculates the ideal torque distribution, enabling a seamless transition from all-wheel drive to 100% rear-wheel drive, for optimum traction and hallmark AMG driving dynamics.Mhttps://www.mbusa.com/en/best-or-nothing/4MATIC#:~:text=4MATIC%2B%20for%20AMG%20continuousl y%20calculates%20the%20ideal%20torque%20distributi on%2C%20enabling%20a%20seamless%20transition%20fro m%20all-wheel%20drive%20to%20100%25%20rear-wheel%20drive%2C%20for%20optimum%20traction%20and% 20hallmark%20AMG%20driving%20dynamics.ATIC+ for AMG continuously calculates the ideal torque distribution, enabling a seamless transition from all-wheel drive to 100% rear-wheel drive, for optimum traction and hallmark AMG driving dynamics.4MATIC+ for AMG continuously calculates the ideal torque distribution, enabling a seamless transition from all-wheel drive to 100% rear-wheel drive, for optimum traction and hallmark AMG driving dynamics.
That would be the 45:55 system. 4MATIC+ will allow up to 50% to the front wheels.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3

Here's a link to an article I read yesterday in Road and Track about the new C class. It doesn't say anything about the U.S. not getting the rear steering. It does point out that for the C class that the rear steering only improves the turning radius by just over an inch which is because of the C class being smaller than the new S class. I would suggest you either contact MBUSA or your local MB dealer to ask about the rear steering feature for the new C class. https://link.roadandtrack.com/click/...cdcddC812366a4
Old 06-27-2021, 12:42 PM

2008 VW Jetta
Originally Posted by 190Efan
Here's a link to an article I read yesterday in Road and Track about the new C class. It doesn't say anything about the U.S. not getting the rear steering. It does point out that for the C class that the rear steering only improves the turning radius by just over an inch which is because of the C class being smaller than the new S class. I would suggest you either contact MBUSA or your local MB dealer to ask about the rear steering feature for the new C class. https://link.roadandtrack.com/click/...cdcddC812366a4
Hmmmmmmm. I just read the article. You mentioned the rear steering improves the turning radius by just over an inch. From what I read it trims 1.31 FEET off the turning radius. Did I misread something? Regardless. thank you for the article.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

He misread the article:

with optional rear-axle steering to help with the stretch of less than an inch in wheelbase.”
Old 06-30-2021, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Hmmmmmmm. I just read the article. You mentioned the rear steering improves the turning radius by just over an inch. From what I read it trims 1.31 FEET off the turning radius. Did I misread something? Regardless. thank you for the article.
Sorry, you're correct it's 1.31 feet. I've since read an article in Car and Driver that says that the rear steering feature isn't coming to the U.S. By making a difference in the turning ratio of just over 1 foot it doesn't really sound to me like it would really be worth the money for the C class. It makes a much bigger difference for the S class so it would be worth the money in that case imho.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry, you're correct it's 1.31 feet. I've since read an article in Car and Driver that says that the rear steering feature isn't coming to the U.S. By making a difference in the turning ratio of just over 1 foot it doesn't really sound to me like it would really be worth the money for the C class. It makes a much bigger difference for the S class so it would be worth the money in that case imho.
An article I just read says rear steering is not coming “yet” and that in the C Class, rear steering is geared to handling rather than turn radius.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:32 PM

2008 VW Jetta
Originally Posted by Mikey53
An article I just read says rear steering is not coming “yet” and that in the C Class, rear steering is geared to handling rather than turn radius.

Not coming "yet"?

What are they waiting for? They can't measure the success (or failure of it) of it in the US market if they don't offer it here to see if customers opt for it? At least offer it as an option and see how many people invest in it. If it is a hit, congratulations. If not, then remove its availability in the US market.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not coming "yet"?

What are they waiting for? They can't measure the success (or failure of it) of it in the US market if they don't offer it here to see if customers opt for it? At least offer it as an option and see how many people invest in it. If it is a hit, congratulations. If not, then remove its availability in the US market.
Based on the article, the “wait” is for AMG models. “ shrugs”
Old 07-02-2021, 06:57 PM

2008 VW Jetta
Originally Posted by Mikey53
Based on the article, the “wait” is for AMG models. “ shrugs”
Hmmmmmmmmm. Interesting. The European market gets it (with no AMG level C-Class available yet), and the S-Class gets it (with no AMG level version yet). The United States is (Now) the 2nd largest market in the world, yet other markets smaller than us will probably get the option, and, of course China (which is now the largest market in the world) will most likely get it as well. Based on the article you read it sounds we may get it only on a AMG level C-Class which is probably priced well out of the range of most people to afford. I ditto your "shrugs".
Old 07-03-2021, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
If you're interested in the rear steering for the W206 then I suggest contacting MBUSA and letting them know you would like that feature. Maybe if MBUSA gets enough complaints, they'll do something about it.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:29 PM

2008 VW Jetta
On the MBUSA website the rear steering axle is available on the S-Class as an option for $1,300.00. I am still a bit bewildered as to why Mercedes is possibly reluctant to offer it as an option here in the US on the upcoming C-Class? They are offering other options that are more expensive than $1,300.00. And who knows.....if the option on the C-Class isn't as sophisticated as the S-Class (which I suspect may be the case. Just guessing) then it may even be a bit less? Someone here mentioned it may be destined for the AMG models. If that is the case, then why not offer it on the regular C-Class? What's the difference? Probably same option price. AMG cars will be a higher priced car to begin with, obviously.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
17 E220d all-terrrain, 92 SL500, 16 C250D Wagon, 16 A200 (wife)
Been a while since this thread was active, but been trolling on W206 4matic details and finding the MB webs are less inclined to give the very good brochure downloads these days.
So you need to shop around the countries to find info.

Regarding the 4Matic front / rear split mentioned earlier, see the C-Class All-terrain release attached that does specify its split as 'up to 45/55' front rear. Meaning rear likely higher at times. Not sure how this relates to the regular 4-matic, I've looked and I cannot find specs, but they'll be there somewhere. Also its quite likely its under program control based on all sorts of stability data, temp, speed, power, steering etc.

At this point it might be quite frustrating to some just how many more variants of the C-class exist. In trying to get info I go to the German site and after much chasing around found these W206 brochures at
https://www.mercedes-benz.de/passeng...er.module.html

Pick the blue 'Preiselist Herunterladen' and you get to see all the bits they make, many of which you cannot get unless in Germany.
I'm particularly interested in the All-terrain which is a more serious rough-road version. I need that here in NZ just to drive on our best roads at a reasonable clip.
No don't want a GLC as they have smaller trunk- I want a wagon thanks! I hugely admire MB for creating these many variants that create us better choice, damn shame the distributors are too noddy to allow us to buy them.

I also have a problem here that means I cannot even get the fab diesel, let alone ANY wagon!! I have some choice comments about the local distributors in Australia, who control what we get here too!

So I'm looking at a used E-class all terrain with ALL the clever options - 360 camera is hard to get along with Distronic plus and a non-boring colour / seats combo.
I'm seriously looking at buying one thats got the colours I don't like and changing them. If I cannot buy a C all-Terrain.
Anyone out there with a surplus All-Terrain (RHD) and either the 220d M654 or the 350d / 400d OM656 (6 in line), please message me!
UK - my normal spot for finding Mercs - has a few All-Terrains of the old OM654 V6 in E-class wagons, but not the latest super efficient engines. The E-class All-Terrains have been around since 2016.
If you want to see how great Daimler-Benz is at supporting its clever engineers, do a search for the All-terrain 4x4 squared! They let a one build portal axles into en E-class wagon to make a serious off road wagon!! Its an affirming story of why so much good kit comes from MB.
Hope this helps some others in their search for info.

Should we have some of these hard to find files on a sticky on this forum?
Greg E
Attached Files
File Type: pdf