C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Door hinges have a plastic bolt cap.why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W206
Door hinges have a plastic bolt cap.why?

Hi

I just bought a w206.I noticed the following

each door mounts on the car with two hinges.at each hinge there is a quick door removal screw that is covered by a plastic cap.i removed one of the caps just to check if my doors were removed and all 8 bolts under each cap have really cracked paint.

so the question is:is it normal that these bolts have cracked and broken paint due to manufacturing process and this is the reason that Mercedes covers these bolts?

if not then is there something wrong with my car?crashed or something and someone has removed all doors to repair and this is the reason I have the cracked paint?i would appreciate a response since I start to get anxious.did I buy a lemon?

if anyone has checked his car please send a reply
Old 03-31-2022, 06:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,967 Likes on 3,119 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Pics?

Old 04-01-2022, 02:17 AM

W206
Originally Posted by chassis
Pics?

hi below are the pics.the first one is with the cap one and the rest is with the cap removed.clearly the paint work is broken and does not seem to be from the cap itself but looks like a tool has messed with the screws

Without cap bolt is exposed

With the cap

Bolt exposed

Old 04-02-2022, 07:18 AM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Are those road salt stains? I cannot see a thing. Pics are slightly out of focus too. Maybe you cleaned up the areas and it will show better?
Old 04-02-2022, 09:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,967 Likes on 3,119 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
No clear problem visible.

Agree lots of salt residue.

Clean everything and take a well lit, clearly focused photo during the daytime. The photos aren't the greatest.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:34 AM

W206
Hi thanks for the replies..I will take a new picture but if you check the white on the torx screw, it is actually the cracked black paint revealing the white underneath.Someone used a wrench to unscrew screw the bolt.This screw was covered with the plastic cap so there is no dirt or salt on it.

i saw another car at the dealers and the screw paint was as it should.no cracks.Someone has messed with the car before delivery…really sad buying a new car at this state. And this is the situation to all four doors…

And this is supposed to be a new car
Old 04-04-2022, 08:20 AM

W206
Hi

slight update
i went to the dealers and checked another new car and it also seemed to have some issues with the paint at the torx screws on the door hinges.ok my two doors at passenger side are worse than that but it seems that also other new cars have similar issues.if someone can check his w206 and update it would be nice.

just pull the small black cap on the hinge to reveal the screw.i am attaching another photo but to be honest as much as I try I cannot get a good one.

Trying to show you with the yellow arrow