2023 Shortage of Leather Lie?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 11:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes GL550
2022 Shortage of Leather Lie?

Hey everyone,

So I ordered a 2022 C300 back in November of last year set to be delivered this month.

Had updates during the wait about the vehicle which included a message last month saying my vehicle was ready to be shipped to the states.

The vehicle was to be picked up this month.

After almost 8 months of waiting, I get notified that the colored leather interior I selected was not built into my vehicle and the reason was a shortage of leather and that the dealership was just notified now.

So my vehicle apparently has standard black standard synthetic leather.

I find it extremely hard to believe that after 7 months of the vehicle being built and shipped, the manufacturer decides to tell the dealerships that there is no leather available for any of their cars set to be delivered to their customers.

To justify this, my dealership told me they would refund the difference of the colored leather I chose to the synthetic leather.

Wow, thank you.

I want to know if my dealer is lying.

Can anyone confirm a leather shortage and has anyone else been in this position?

thank you!

Last edited by Gerald480; 05-18-2022 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-18-2022, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Try contacting MBUSA at www.mbusa.com and see if they have any more information. I understand that the MB-tex is more durable for the long haul than leather is.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Originally Posted by Gerald480
Hey everyone,

So I ordered a 2023 C300 back in November of last year set to be delivered this month.

Had updates during the wait about the vehicle which included a message last month saying my vehicle was ready to be shipped to the states.

After almost 8 months of waiting, I get notified that the colored leather interior I selected was not built into my vehicle and the reason was a shortage of leather and that the dealership was just notified now.

I find it extremely hard to believe that after 7 months of the vehicle being built and shipped, the manufacturer decides to tell the dealerships that there is no leather available for any of their cars set to be delivered to their customers.

To justify this, my dealership told me they would refund the difference of the colored leather I chose to the synthetic leather.

Wow, thank you.

Can anyone confirm a leather shortage and has anyone else been in this position?

thank you!
The DOG literally states nappa is unavailable for MY23. My SA told me they reserve what availability they do have of these items (upgraded sound system, inductive charging and leather) for the top of the line models. Which makes sense as lame as it may be.

Last edited by alexasa; 05-18-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:38 PM

Mercedes GL550
Originally Posted by 190Efan
Try contacting MBUSA at www.mbusa.com and see if they have any more information. I understand that the MB-tex is more durable for the long haul than leather is.
I was on the phone with corporate in Georgia for over an hour and the rep told me they see nothing about a shortage of leather.

Originally Posted by alexasa
The DOG literally states nappa is unavailable for MY23. My SA told me they reserve what availability they do have of these items (upgraded sound system, inductive charging and leather) for the top of the line models. Which makes sense as lame as it may be.

Even if that’s true, I should have been notified within 2 days of production in order to select a different interior.

As for yours, when did you build it if you don’t mind me asking? And when we’re you notified leather wasn’t available?
Old 05-18-2022, 06:20 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan

did you select Nappa leather in your build? My car is coming with the AMG Red and Black leather. It is a 2022 C300. I did not special order it and I have seen a lot of dealers on the 2022 models have a lot of car with leather.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:23 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Hey everyone,

So I ordered a 2023 C300 back in November of last year set to be delivered this month.

Wow, thank you.

thank you!

Is Mercedes releasing 2022 an 2023 C300 models at the same time? Why would someone be able to get a 2023 when the 2022’s are barely even at the dealers now.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:26 PM

Mercedes GL550
Originally Posted by Dstopsie
did you select Nappa leather in your build? My car is coming with the AMG Red and Black leather. It is a 2022 C300. I did not special order it and I have seen a lot of dealers on the 2022 models have a lot of car with leather.
Yes AMG power red and black leather.
I apologize I have to fix the thread title, I’m referring to a 2022 model I built last November set to deliver in the next week.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:30 PM

Mercedes GL550
Is Mercedes releasing 2022 an 2023 C300 models at the same time? Why would someone be able to get a 2023 when the 2022’s are barely even at the dealers now.
so sorry my mistake, I meant 2022. I don’t know why I said 2023 lol
Old 05-18-2022, 06:37 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
so sorry my mistake, I meant 2022. I don’t know why I said 2023 lol
That’s ok. My car was built in November 2021 and is just getting to the dealership this week. It has the AMG Red and Black Leather. My dealer currently has 7 cars with this combination. I have seen quite a few dealers here in LA that also have cars with this leather and with the AMG Sienna Brown/Black leather. I know that is not an answer to your question, but it sure does seem as if there wasnt a shortage of the leather then. All of those cars were built around November 2021 too.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:48 PM

Mercedes GL550
That’s ok. My car was built in November 2021 and is just getting to the dealership this week. It has the AMG Red and Black Leather. My dealer currently has 7 cars with this combination. I have seen quite a few dealers here in LA that also have cars with this leather and with the AMG Sienna Brown/Black leather. I know that is not an answer to your question, but it sure does seem as if there wasnt a shortage of the leather then. All of those cars were built around November 2021 too.
Exaclty.
The funny thing is, they got back to me saying there’s 3 other cars in the US that have red leather that I can choose from but obviously options are different.

So I questioned how there was a shortage of leather if there’s literally 3 others IN RED I can all of a sudden choose from? Lol

Apparently the story I was told was that it was changed without them knowing and they didn’t pay attention to the change which proves the leather shortage was a lie.

I find that hard to believe.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c

MY22 is basically over. DOG for 23 is released and will likely be in production shortly if not already. It's normal to have next year model year cars halfway through the year.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Exaclty.
The funny thing is, they got back to me saying there’s 3 other cars in the US that have red leather that I can choose from but obviously options are different.

So I questioned how there was a shortage of leather if there’s literally 3 others IN RED I can all of a sudden choose from? Lol

Apparently the story I was told was that it was changed without them knowing and they didn’t pay attention to the change which proves the leather shortage was a lie.

Do you have a confirmation of how you specced it? my dealer gives a copy every time I even make a change to verify.

otherwise this is all a witch hunt - it is completely possible to have specific supply chain shortages at an inconvenient time when your car is heading down assembly. (you have months of backlogged cars showing up at the same time)

Last edited by alexasa; 05-18-2022 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Even if that’s true, I should have been notified within 2 days of production in order to select a different interior.

I was on the phone with corporate in Georgia for over an hour and the rep told me they see nothing about a shortage of leather.
to answer your question in my quote (just a misplaced text)

I saw this in the DOG - therefor did not order leather - however I wouldn't have anyway. My car is only configured - I don't have a build date, etc. as I'm referring to C43. I just checked c300 and don't see it notated in the brand new DOG or the MY22 DOG.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:27 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Exaclty.

There are more than 3 cars with AMG Red and Black leather in the US. My dealer here in LA, Keyes European Mercedes has 6 listed on their website and South Bay Mercedes in Torrance, CA has them coming in as does Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach, CA. Mine is supposed to be here here by Friday. It was released to transport on Monday May 16th, and the dealer says it should be here hopefully by Friday the 20th. Obviously they all have different options, but still. Mine is fairly loaded with Panorama Sunroof, Exclusive Trim, Parking Assist, and AMG package.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:34 PM

Mercedes GL550
There are more than 3 cars with AMG Red and Black leather in the US. My dealer here in LA, Keyes European Mercedes has 6 listed on their website and South Bay Mercedes in Torrance, CA has them coming in as does Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach, CA. Mine is supposed to be here here by Friday. It was released to transport on Monday May 16th, and the dealer says it should be here hopefully by Friday the 20th. Obviously they all have different options, but still. Mine is fairly loaded with Panorama Sunroof, Exclusive Trim, Parking Assist, and AMG package.
I think what he meant was there were 3 left in all of the US that aren’t spoken for.

Honestly I don’t know what to believe.

I told him if I settle for one of the three because of the exterior color and/or some options not available, will they give me some sort of incentive and he responded saying he doesn’t think so because of the demand and they’re “already trying to help me out”

Theyre trying to help me out. Please make that make sense.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:41 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
I think what he meant was there were 3 left in all of the US that aren’t spoken for.

Honestly I don’t know what to believe.

I told him if I settle for one of the three because of the exterior color and/or some options not available, will they give me some sort of incentive and he responded saying he doesn’t think so because of the demand and they’re “already trying to help me out”

Theyre trying to help me out. Please make that make sense.

Wow, i know my dealer has 6 of them on their website, and when they are sold they remove them from the web site. Last week I went to my dealer to sign the papers for my car that he earmarked for me. My dealer is the GSM of the dealership. The car earmaked for me was on their web site and when I signed the papers and gave my drive off, the car was removed from their web site. So i have to believe that the 6 listed cars on their website are in stock and not pre-sold yet.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Interior components are made by a Chinese conglomerate is South Africa where the 206 is assembled. Not sure if they build the soft components though.
https://www.yfai.com/
The following users liked this post:
Gerald480 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 08:01 PM

Mercedes GL550
Wow, i know my dealer has 6 of them on their website, and when they are sold they remove them from the web site. Last week I went to my dealer to sign the papers for my car that he earmarked for me. My dealer is the GSM of the dealership. The car earmaked for me was on their web site and when I signed the papers and gave my drive off, the car was removed from their web site. So i have to believe that the 6 listed cars on their website are in stock and not pre-sold yet.
interesting.

can you show the site or pm me it if you have to?

thanks!

EDIT- never mind re read your other post, you clearly named the dealership. I apologize.

The most important thing I would need is 4Matic because I’m in the east coast where we get summer for 2 weeks a year if we’re lucky lol so most of these west coast vehicles don’t come with it if I’m not mistaken.

Last edited by Gerald480; 05-18-2022 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
In my experience, most of the cars on these websites are not yet delivered. They typically list them as soon as they go into some build phase.

Last edited by alexasa; 05-18-2022 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
C300

Wait. I did get an exclusive line package with some other goodies with it. When I ordered the car this February they were able to pick all the options surprisingly. Will my car still potentially lose some of those features since it's not a pinnacle trim? My order was also switched from a 22 to a 23
Old 05-18-2022, 11:47 PM

Mercedes GL550
Originally Posted by Holo
Wait. I did get an exclusive line package with some other goodies with it. When I ordered the car this February they were able to pick all the options surprisingly. Will my car still potentially lose some of those features since it's not a pinnacle trim? My order was also switched from a 22 to a 23
Curious to know what your ETA is on it?
Old 05-18-2022, 11:48 PM

C300
Curious to know what your ETA is on it?
I should be getting it mid to late July this year
Old 05-18-2022, 11:50 PM

Mercedes GL550
I should be getting it mid to late July this year
ok thanks
Old 05-19-2022, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
When I say top of the line models I mean G wagons and S class and AMG cars, only some things will be limited by trim level.

and yes, they are still shipping cars and will ship cars with features that they cannot equip.

Last edited by alexasa; 05-19-2022 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:54 AM

C300
When I say top of the line models I mean G wagons and S class and AMG cars, only some things will be limited by trim level.

and yes, they are still shipping cars and will ship cars with features that they cannot equip.

rip. Already ordered a second one hoping there will be Burmester in it. I'd rather just delay my car more than deliver it with nothing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2023 Shortage of Leather Lie?