C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Caution Tinting Rear Window

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peugeot 508 2011, Audi A4 2.7 tdi 2009, C180 2022
Originally Posted by Dstopsie
holy moly!! I lucked out as so far haven’t had this issue. I also didn’t know about it when I took my car to be tinted on May 23rd, 3 days after I got it. I haven’t tried to put my seats down but the trunk and fuel filler cap work fine. Wow. That smoke would really be concerning and the car does look 1000% better with tinted windows.

ever since I have been getting my windows tinted they always say oh you gotta be careful cause of this issue or that, but this is the first time I have seen actual evidence of the issue happening. I still wonder if it has to do with the installation and how much excess water if any ends up where it’s not supposed to.

keep us posted please what the dealer says and does to fix your car. I’m really sorry this happened to
yours.
Yeah it sucks, but they will hopefully take care of it free of charge. I literally bought the car yesterday. For the record, I asked the guy before taking the car if I can tint the windows. I'll let everyone know what they say at the dealership. The fuel cap and the trunk are probably just fuses, but the seat is extremely concerning. I'm literally checking the car every few hours to see if the seats will catch fire D: The car also drives normally with no errors showing, it also makes weird clicking sounds like it's trying to open the trunk or something similar. I will post here with what the dealer says to me tomorrow.

Also quick question - do you open the fuel cap by pushing on it? I haven't even refueled mine yet and the cap is already broken D: maybe I'm opening it wrongly - video here

Last edited by phantom454; 07-05-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 C300 4Matic
You can be sure it's going to cost big time.
I got my ceramic coating done by the dealer. At least if there is a problem it's on them.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (07-09-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 365 Likes on 302 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by phantom454
Yeah it sucks, but they will hopefully take care of it free of charge. I literally bought the car yesterday. For the record, I asked the guy before taking the car if I can tint the windows. I'll let everyone know what they say at the dealership. The fuel cap and the trunk are probably just fuses, but the seat is extremely concerning. I'm literally checking the car every few hours to see if the seats will catch fire D: The car also drives normally with no errors showing, it also makes weird clicking sounds like it's trying to open the trunk or something similar. I will post here with what the dealer says to me tomorrow.

Also quick question - do you open the fuel cap by pushing on it? I haven't even refueled mine yet and the cap is already broken D: maybe I'm opening it wrongly - video here
Your remote should also open your fuel filler door when it unlocks the car's doors. That's how all MB's work including my 91 W201 which is your car's great-great grandfather. I would suggest you stop by your dealership and have this addressed because you won't be able to put any fuel in your car until you can open that fuel filler door. The actual filler cap that you also will have to then open is inside of the fuel filler door.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
I just tinted my w206 (literally a day old) and had something similar happen to me. As i was driving out the garage where it got tinted the trunk just opened suddenly. Ok weird, i get out close it and keep going, then the rear seats suddenly go down, trunk opens and fuel opens, with none of those wanting to close. I then shut the car on and off a few times which fixes the issue. I drive home normally and as soon as i get in the yard the seat folds down. It won't fold back. I then again shut car on/off which makes the rest of the seats fold down with a burning smell. I see smoke coming out the seat and it smells like burnt electronics. Trunk won't open. Fuel cap won't open. Going to the dealership tomorrow morning for them to try to fix it. The car does look far better when tinted though:

Video of burning electronics inside seat: HERE

I'm so sorry for your difficulty. I'm also sorry to say that the tinting will be blamed and it'll be big $$$ to repair and replace all of the damaged electronics. Please keep us posted on how this all turns out for you. Otherwise, nice picture of your new ride. The wheels look pretty cool with the black paint.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:11 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by 190Efan
I'm so sorry for your difficulty. I'm also sorry to say that the tinting will be blamed and it'll be big $$$ to repair and replace all of the damaged electronics. Please keep us posted on how this all turns out for you. Otherwise, nice picture of your new ride. The wheels look pretty cool with the black paint.

I would push back on any dealer that makes you pay for these repairs especially if there is a bulletin about this issue and they didn’t advise you accordingly that tinting your windows is at your risk. You shouldn’t have to pay for this repair and it should be done as an accommodation and act of goodwill by Mercedes Benz.

Furthermore you should report this issue to MBUSA at 1-800-367-6272. Get them involved. They actively helped me get the repair done on my new C300 that had the stupid clunk/thump noise when I braked and my front rotors and pads had to be replaced on my car with 99 miles on it.

Last edited by Dstopsie; 07-05-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:43 PM

C300 2022
I would push back on any dealer that makes you pay for these repairs especially if there is a bulletin about this issue and they didn’t advise you accordingly that tinting your windows is at your risk. You shouldn’t have to pay for this repair and it should be done as an accommodation and act of goodwill by Mercedes Benz.

Furthermore you should report this issue to MBUSA at 1-800-367-6272. Get them involved. They actively helped me get the repair done on my new C300 that had the stupid clunk/thump noise when I braked and my front rotors and pads had to be replaced on my car with 99 miles on it.
Agree 100% Mercedes Benz didn’t warned of this issue with the tinting at least in my case , window tinting shop has been paying all invoices and today my car is at the dealer again and received a call earlier that they need more time with my car because they believe the problem with the battery is related with the tinting damage. Now everything will be blame on it
Old 07-06-2022, 09:22 AM

Just got back from the dealer. They took it in for service and are surveying the damage currently, for now they have found that 5 "computers" (they literally said computers) have fried in the back with a lot more water caused damage. I've been told that the replacement will take from 15 to 90 days (no parts for a brand new model). I can't really drive the car since the fuel filler cap won't open, so the car will stay there until, and if they even can fix that without the new parts. They also told me that this will most likely fall under warranty. They also told me that I am not the first one. Someone had a brand new CLS (wasn't told which year) tinted and had similar problems.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3

I hope for everyone's sake that you're right. I guess time will tell.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:50 AM

Okay, I just took the car. Everything is working fine, the seats, trunk and the gas filler cap. Spare parts are ordered from germany but since there is some sort of shortage they have no ETA on those parts, they say at least a month. Also the warranty will not cover everything, I will still have to pay 1000 euros minimum, when they get a quote on the parts I will know exactly. The car drove fine home but there is plastic or something moving and smelling bad inside the car seat which they left folded in the back. I can only smell it if I bring my nose near the seat opening that I posted a video of burning before. I'm not sure if that smell is from something currently burning inside or if it stayed. The moving plastic I can't really explain. It's like the sound you hear on a car when it tries to open the trunk but the trunk stays closed, like plastic moving mechanically. It happens at random times. The trunk and fuel filler cap no longer open randomly while driving. They have told me not to drive the car unless i absolutely need to until the parts arrive. Also can anyone take a picture from inside their trunk, the part that sits right under the rear window, it should be like a metal bottom? Mine seems weirdly dark, I feel like it also got burned. Can anyone take a picture just to ease my mind? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2022, 10:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 w206
Okay, I just took the car. Everything is working fine, the seats, trunk and the gas filler cap. Spare parts are ordered from germany but since there is some sort of shortage they have no ETA on those parts, they say at least a month. Also the warranty will not cover everything, I will still have to pay 1000 euros minimum, when they get a quote on the parts I will know exactly. The car drove fine home but there is plastic or something moving and smelling bad inside the car seat which they left folded in the back. I can only smell it if I bring my nose near the seat opening that I posted a video of burning before. I'm not sure if that smell is from something currently burning inside or if it stayed. The moving plastic I can't really explain. It's like the sound you hear on a car when it tries to open the trunk but the trunk stays closed, like plastic moving mechanically. It happens at random times. The trunk and fuel filler cap no longer open randomly while driving. They have told me not to drive the car unless i absolutely need to until the parts arrive. Also can anyone take a picture from inside their trunk, the part that sits right under the rear window, it should be like a metal bottom? Mine seems weirdly dark, I feel like it also got burned. Can anyone take a picture just to ease my mind? Thanks!
Glad to hear you were at least able to drive it home until parts arrive. What did they do to fix the issues you had with the trunk and fuel cap so quickly?
Old 07-07-2022, 10:23 AM

Those 2 were just blown fuses. I'm not exactly sure what is the other part they need to replace since they only told me that the part that controls the back of the car was filled with water and it burned some electronics in the back seat as well.

EDIT: This could very well be the SAM module I think.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:36 AM

C300 w206
Those 2 were just blown fuses. I'm not exactly sure what is the other part they need to replace since they only told me that the part that controls the back of the car was filled with water and it burned some electronics in the back seat as well.

EDIT: This could very well be the SAM module I think.
Thanks. It sounds like the SAM, they replaced mine and are now waiting on parts for trunk latch.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Donbenzino
Thanks. It sounds like the SAM, they replaced mine and are now waiting on parts for trunk latch.
Hope you get it soon. I read what happened to you, really unfortunate. I pretty much lucked out with my issues I guess. Lucky only a grand will fix everything. I can only imagine how much it cost you...
Old 07-07-2022, 11:20 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan
hi

if you can take a picture of yours that you want to see, I will send you a picture from my trunk.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:33 AM

hi

if you can take a picture of yours that you want to see, I will send you a picture from my trunk.
Sure, i took 3 pictures by placing the phone in the trunk and taking them from the selfie camera. My phone is not the best but I think you will get what I want to see. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2022, 11:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C Class 2022
I am sorry some of you are having this issue after applying the tint, fortunately for me I did not had this issue.
When I went to get my windows tint I have specifically told my tint guy about this issue, and I've also asked him about his insurance: If any issue should have occurred after the tint he was going to cover the repair costs.

Now, I see some of you are going to pay for the fixes but I really think is not fair, between the tint shop insurance and the Mercedes warranty we should not pay anything if this issue happen after the tint! We already paid a lot for both tint and the car, this should be covered by them, not us.
Just my opinion.

Thank You!
Old 07-07-2022, 01:19 PM

2022 C300 4Matic
Not exactly sure what you are looking for but here is mine.

Old 07-07-2022, 01:40 PM

You can see that it is kind of dark silver, not shiny silver and has black around some corners, i was just afraid mine got burned from the damage, but it looks fine. Thanks for easing my mind!
Old 07-07-2022, 01:42 PM

2022 C300 4Matic
No problem. You've been through enough hell...
Old 07-09-2022, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 BMW 330
A good friend of mine tints windows for a living. He does everything from buildings to cars. He has tinted every car I owned. I was speaking to him about this since I am ordering a C300. He is aware of this issue. He has seen this on other makes and models too although not as frequent as it has been happening with the W206. He said it is still possible to do this. He would need to cover the electronics to ensure they stay dry during the process. As long as this is done then there will not be any problems.

Basically, if you want to tint the car make sure you ask questions. Ensure your person is fully aware of the situation and has a proper process in place to avoid these issues. Then you should be ok.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:30 PM

C300 w206
Originally Posted by a4guyiam
A good friend of mine tints windows for a living. He does everything from buildings to cars. He has tinted every car I owned. I was speaking to him about this since I am ordering a C300. He is aware of this issue. He has seen this on other makes and models too although not as frequent as it has been happening with the W206. He said it is still possible to do this. He would need to cover the electronics to ensure they stay dry during the process. As long as this is done then there will not be any problems.

Basically, if you want to tint the car make sure you ask questions. Ensure your person is fully aware of the situation and has a proper process in place to avoid these issues. Then you should be ok.
This will not ensure you are okay. My installer as well as other installers I know of were informed and aware of the situation and took what they believed were proper protection steps and issue still occurred. If I were you I would not risk tinting back windshield until this issue is resolved.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:06 PM

C Class 2022
Originally Posted by Donbenzino
This will not ensure you are okay. My installer as well as other installers I know of were informed and aware of the situation and took what they believed were proper protection steps and issue still occurred. If I were you I would not risk tinting back windshield until this issue is resolved.
How can this problem be resolved?
It seems to me the issue here is that compared to the older c class, the w206 has a bigger gap under the back windshield so this make it easy for the liquids to get into it.
The only fix i can think is mercedes to declare this as an issue and replace/add some parts in order to get to the same level of the older c class.
They would have to fix every single car they sold, do you think is even an option for them?
I don’t think so

Don’t take me wrong I would like to see this happen but I am also trying to be realistic.

Have a good day
Old 07-10-2022, 02:57 PM

2022 C300 4Matic
The gap is there for a reason. Probably to keep the electronics cool. They are not expecting people to dump water into the vent. There is nothing for them to fix.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:15 PM

C Class 2022
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek
The gap is there for a reason. Probably to keep the electronics cool. They are not expecting people to dump water into the vent. There is nothing for them to fix.
I agree with you, I can’t understand why someone is waiting mercedes to do something about it
Old 07-10-2022, 09:23 PM

C300 w206
Originally Posted by MB.Past87
How can this problem be resolved?
It seems to me the issue here is that compared to the older c class, the w206 has a bigger gap under the back windshield so this make it easy for the liquids to get into it.
The only fix i can think is mercedes to declare this as an issue and replace/add some parts in order to get to the same level of the older c class.
They would have to fix every single car they sold, do you think is even an option for them?
I don’t think so

Don’t take me wrong I would like to see this happen but I am also trying to be realistic.

Have a good day
Who said anything about waiting until Mercedes fixed every car? I’m simply suggesting there should be a generally accepted or recommended solution approach that should prevent or lessen the risk of this occurring. As of now it’s pretty risky given the frequency of its occurrence.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Caution Tinting Rear Window