C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Caution Tinting Rear Window

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 C300
Caution Tinting Rear Window

The day I purchased the car (2 weeks ago), I was informed that Mercedes posted a bulletin that nobody should tint the rear window.

Apparently there is a module directly under the rear window (VMC or VCM module) that will fry if it encounters any moisture. If this happens the car will turn into a brick. Can't start it or move it.

Word is that this part is also on a 2 month backorder and will run roughly $1,500 to replace.

The dealership said they have no information from Mercedes on a timeline for this issue to be resolved.

For now, I opted out of tinting the rear window. Does anyone else has any insight on this situation?
Old 06-08-2022, 04:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C 300 2022 4MATIC
What about ceramic coating?
Old 06-08-2022, 04:18 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by rennology
The day I purchased the car (2 weeks ago), I was informed that Mercedes posted a bulletin that nobody should tint the rear window.

Apparently there is a module directly under the rear window (VMC or VCM module) that will fry if it encounters any moisture. If this happens the car will turn into a brick. Can't start it or move it.

Word is that this part is also on a 2 month backorder and will run roughly $1,500 to replace.

The dealership said they have no information from Mercedes on a timeline for this issue to be resolved.

For now, I opted out of tinting the rear window. Does anyone else has any insight on this situation?

I had my rear window tinted on May 23rd - no issues so far. Only the clunk/thump drama in the brakes.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:19 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by Serg675
What about ceramic coating?

my car was ceramic coated on May 27th. But that was applied to the outside of the windows. No issues so far other than my clunk/thump braking crap.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 675 Likes on 532 Posts
c
This is fairly typical of electronics and tinting. Maybe not to the degree of debilitation we are talking about here but speakers, etc. I have heard issues on pretty much every platform I've ever owned.

Warn the shop, proceed with caution IMO
Old 06-08-2022, 06:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C Class 2022
I have heard the same thing. Do you have any pictures or video about the module under the rear window?
Thanks!
Old 06-09-2022, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 w206
My vehicle is currently at the dealership due to this issue. Even after warning the installers it still happened. I have also heard of other owners also experiencing this issue. Mercedes should really do something about this.
The following 3 users liked this post by Donbenzino:
MBGirl0832 (08-03-2023), mvilchez77 (07-05-2022), Ron P Baker (06-10-2022)

Trending Topics

Old 06-09-2022, 09:44 AM

2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by Donbenzino
My vehicle is currently at the dealership due to this issue. Even after warning the installers it still happened. I have also heard of other owners also experiencing this issue. Mercedes should really do something about this.

can you describe the problems you had after tinting the rear window. I had my windows done on May 23rd and I am just wondering what issues happened to others after they had their read window done so I can watch out for them.

thanks
Old 06-09-2022, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 w206
Originally Posted by Dstopsie
can you describe the problems you had after tinting the rear window. I had my windows done on May 23rd and I am just wondering what issues happened to others after they had their read window done so I can watch out for them.

thanks
When it happens you will know about it instantly. All rear electrical components malfunction and the check engine/service light goes on. Rear seats go down and stop functioning, lights do not work, fuel panel and trunk won’t close and battery does not charge properly. Vehicle had to be towed to the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
Berkan (07-02-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 675 Likes on 532 Posts
c
I wonder if you disconnect the battery or something prior it will increase the chances of avoiding this.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:18 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C 300 2022 4MATIC
When it happens you will know about it instantly. All rear electrical components malfunction and the check engine/service light goes on. Rear seats go down and stop functioning, lights do not work, fuel panel and trunk won’t close and battery does not charge properly. Vehicle had to be towed to the dealership.
Wow. I guess I'll leave without tinted windows then.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:39 AM

2020 C300 Sedan
wow. I had no idea. So far I have not experienced anything like this. How soon after you got your windows tinted did this start happening?

Right now my car is still in the at the dealer for the brake something issue. I’m getting the feeling that this car is a lemon the 2022 C 300. I have a auto broker that I also deal with and he told me there are a lot of problems with this car the window tinting being just one of them. I didn’t get my car from him he’s a friend of mine but wow if they don’t fix my brake issue and I have to force a buyback for MercedesBenz I will not get another C 300 for now.

Last edited by Dstopsie; 06-09-2022 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-09-2022, 10:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
Wow I'm glad my tint install went well then :O

I got it installed like a month ago and all is well. Maybe it the high heat we have in Florida that saved me
Old 06-13-2022, 01:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C Class 2022
Hello,

did anyone find a solution on this? I mean, which instructions can we provide to our tint guy in order to avoid this issue? Any specific tool to use?

Thank You!
Old 06-13-2022, 01:58 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by MB.Past87
Hello,

did anyone find a solution on this? I mean, which instructions can we provide to our tint guy in order to avoid this issue? Any specific tool to use?

Thank You!
maybe it has to do with how much water the tint place gets on the back window when installing the tint. I didn’t have an issue after my rear window was tinted. I have gone to the same place in Los Angeles since 1997 for my window tinting so I am familiar with their work.

Old 06-13-2022, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by alexasa
I wonder if you disconnect the battery or something prior it will increase the chances of avoiding this.
I would not disconnect the battery. Disconnecting the battery might foul up the electronics even worse that what this particular module failure is currently doing.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2022 C300
Any updates from Mercedes on this, or is this just a risk regardless of how careful the installer is? I've been waiting to get tints to see if they resolve this issue.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:35 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by jjb3
Any updates from Mercedes on this, or is this just a risk regardless of how careful the installer is? I've been waiting to get tints to see if they resolve this issue.

havent heard any from my dealer and I asked them about this. Thankfully my installer didn’t do this to my car. It’s been a month and no issues.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:30 PM

2022 C300
Originally Posted by rennology

I picked mine up on Friday (6/24) and called today to set up window tinting. Luckily, the owner of the tint shop is well informed and told me about this issue. He said he doesn't know about the fix but that he won't touch any W206s until it's resolved.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:01 PM

W206 mercedes
i have same problem. the problem has been occured after tinted rear window one month later. My electric trunk is not working very well. It sometimes works sometime not. Mercedes service offered to me change sam control unit in not warranty due to user personel error. What do you advice to me? Should i change it? (Sometimes electiric trunk works properly expecially cold, non humidity days, but not works hot or humidity days. Also when there is a vapor in the windows)
Old 07-05-2022, 12:00 AM

C300 2022
Tinting problems

I received my c300 May 18 and 4 days later the horror began!
As soon as the tinting was done the car won’t close trunk, engine light on, blind spot inoperative and rear seats won’t fold down. 6 weeks after Sam unit replaced, trunk motor and latch replaced and fuses also replaced the trunk and blind spot working but waiting on a back ordered actuators to fix the rear seats.
After 2 days using the car 12 v battery drained, car needed to be jumped. Alarm going of in the middle of the night for the past 3 days. Today car battery drained again car jumped to get home. Appointment tomorrow with dealer to replace battery.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 C300 4Matic
I think I'll pass on the tinting...
LOGOSDJ (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 12:11 PM

Peugeot 508 2011, Audi A4 2.7 tdi 2009, C180 2022
I just tinted my w206 (literally a day old) and had something similar happen to me. As i was driving out the garage where it got tinted the trunk just opened suddenly. Ok weird, i get out close it and keep going, then the rear seats suddenly go down, trunk opens and fuel opens, with none of those wanting to close. I then shut the car on and off a few times which fixes the issue. I drive home normally and as soon as i get in the yard the seat folds down. It won't fold back. I then again shut car on/off which makes the rest of the seats fold down with a burning smell. I see smoke coming out the seat and it smells like burnt electronics. Trunk won't open. Fuel cap won't open. Going to the dealership tomorrow morning for them to try to fix it. The car does look far better when tinted though:

Video of burning electronics inside seat: HERE

Old 07-05-2022, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by mvilchez77
I received my c300 May 18 and 4 days later the horror began!
As soon as the tinting was done the car won’t close trunk, engine light on, blind spot inoperative and rear seats won’t fold down. 6 weeks after Sam unit replaced, trunk motor and latch replaced and fuses also replaced the trunk and blind spot working but waiting on a back ordered actuators to fix the rear seats.
After 2 days using the car 12 v battery drained, car needed to be jumped. Alarm going of in the middle of the night for the past 3 days. Today car battery drained again car jumped to get home. Appointment tomorrow with dealer to replace battery.
Have your alarm checked before you replace your battery to be sure that the alarm isn't draining your battery. I had this happen to me so that's how I know to check this.
mvilchez77 (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 02:07 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by phantom454
I just tinted my w206 (literally a day old) and had something similar happen to me. As i was driving out the garage where it got tinted the trunk just opened suddenly. Ok weird, i get out close it and keep going, then the rear seats suddenly go down, trunk opens and fuel opens, with none of those wanting to close. I then shut the car on and off a few times which fixes the issue. I drive home normally and as soon as i get in the yard the seat folds down. It won't fold back. I then again shut car on/off which makes the rest of the seats fold down with a burning smell. I see smoke coming out the seat and it smells like burnt electronics. Trunk won't open. Fuel cap won't open. Going to the dealership tomorrow morning for them to try to fix it. The car does look far better when tinted though:

Video of burning electronics inside seat: HERE

holy moly!! I lucked out as so far haven’t had this issue. I also didn’t know about it when I took my car to be tinted on May 23rd, 3 days after I got it. I haven’t tried to put my seats down but the trunk and fuel filler cap work fine. Wow. That smoke would really be concerning and the car does look 1000% better with tinted windows.

ever since I have been getting my windows tinted they always say oh you gotta be careful cause of this issue or that, but this is the first time I have seen actual evidence of the issue happening. I still wonder if it has to do with the installation and how much excess water if any ends up where it’s not supposed to.

keep us posted please what the dealer says and does to fix your car. I’m really sorry this happened to
yours.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Caution Tinting Rear Window