2022 C300 (w206) - Battery red warning from a brand new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 11:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 C300 4 Matic
2022 C300 (w206) - Battery red warning from a brand new car

Hi guys.

I purchased a brand new 2022 C300 from a Benz dealership just 2 weeks ago.
Because I’ve been driving on a daily basis, it’s not a charging problem on a battery.

Only after a week of the purchase, the issue has started.

When I tried to open a door with a smart key or Mercedes Me app, the vehicle is not responsive.
I was not able to get into the car.
Therefore, I used a manual key inside of the smart key to open a door.

Once I opened a door, the theft alarm turns on because the vehicle thinks it is secured.
After I got into the car with alarm off, I saw the battery warning sign in red on the display.
Additionally, I saw a couple of error messages that “12v On-Board Electrical System Service Required” and “Exterior Lightning Malfunction” and “Auxiliary Battery Malfunction” in red.

I have started visiting the dealership at 7/2, 7/5. They have said that they updated software for my car 2 times and cleaned some paint on a wire near the battery.

However, today, only after 2 days I got my car back from the dealership, the same problem happened again. Because I was not able to get into the car, I used a manual key and saw the same error messages related to battery.

Once I opened the car, I turned the engine on and off. After waiting outside like 30 mins, the issue disappeared.
However, the same problem occurred 3 times already within 2 weeks after the purchase.
It seems that the issue randomly pops up, and not sure what triggers the issue.

Now I can’t trust this car and Benz anymore.
A brand new car with only 600 miles and 2 weeks old has the critical issue that can’t be solved?
In addition, I feel extremely stressful and concerned with the unstable vehicle.

Do I need to find a lemon law attorney to deal with?
Am I only one to experience this from 2022 C300?
I don’t think Benz could able to find a solution.
Please help me get through this concern.

The following users liked this post:
yasmint (01-04-2023)
Old 07-11-2022, 07:57 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by Pro CPA
Hi guys.

I purchased a brand new 2022 C300 from a Benz dealership just 2 weeks ago.
Because I’ve been driving on a daily basis, it’s not a charging problem on a battery.

Only after a week of the purchase, the issue has started.

When I tried to open a door with a smart key or Mercedes Me app, the vehicle is not responsive.
I was not able to get into the car.
Therefore, I used a manual key inside of the smart key to open a door.

Once I opened a door, the theft alarm turns on because the vehicle thinks it is secured.
After I got into the car with alarm off, I saw the battery warning sign in red on the display.
Additionally, I saw a couple of error messages that “12v On-Board Electrical System Service Required” and “Exterior Lightning Malfunction” and “Auxiliary Battery Malfunction” in red.

I have started visiting the dealership at 7/2, 7/5. They have said that they updated software for my car 2 times and cleaned some paint on a wire near the battery.

However, today, only after 2 days I got my car back from the dealership, the same problem happened again. Because I was not able to get into the car, I used a manual key and saw the same error messages related to battery.

Once I opened the car, I turned the engine on and off. After waiting outside like 30 mins, the issue disappeared.
However, the same problem occurred 3 times already within 2 weeks after the purchase.
It seems that the issue randomly pops up, and not sure what triggers the issue.

Now I can’t trust this car and Benz anymore.
A brand new car with only 600 miles and 2 weeks old has the critical issue that can’t be solved?
In addition, I feel extremely stressful and concerned with the unstable vehicle.

Do I need to find a lemon law attorney to deal with?
Am I only one to experience this from 2022 C300?
I don’t think Benz could able to find a solution.
Please help me get through this concern.

Hi

You need to research your states lemon law requirements. I’m in California and before a vehicle can be declared a lemon the dealer still has to have the chance to fix it in a reasonable amount of attempts. The lemon law provisions provide guidance on what this means. I researched the law and it’s provisions here in CA extensively because 3 days after I got my 2023 C300 I had the clunk thump issue with the brakes. My car had 30 miles on it. My dealer was able to fix it after being there for 2 weeks.

Did you tint your rear window? People have been having problems with their cars after doing this as water has been frying the electrical components and modules in the rear window. I tinted mine without issues.

I recommend you call MBUSA 1-800-367-6372. I contacted them for my brake issue as I wanted it on record and they were helpful in getting may car repaired. If you’re in the United States you would need to deal with them for requesting that they buy back the car as of the lemon law statutes.

For example here are the provisions of the CA lemon law which may be similar to those in your state.

California Lemon Law:

The California Lemon Law (Civ. Code, § 1793.2 et seq.) protects you when your vehicle is defective and cannot be repaired after a “reasonable” number of attempts.

The Lemon Law applies to most new vehicles purchased or leased in California that are still under a manufacturer’s new-vehicle warranty. Full-time active-duty members of the Armed Forces stationed or residing in California at the time of purchase or lease are protected by the Lemon Law even if their vehicles were purchased or registered outside of California. The Lemon Law also applies to used vehicles when they are still under a manufacturer’s new car warranty. Any remaining time left on the warranty protects the car’s new owner.

Under the Lemon Law, the manufacturer may be required to buy back or replace your vehicle if, after a “reasonable” number of repair attempts, it cannot repair a problem that:
  • Is covered by the manufacturer’s new-vehicle warranty;
  • Substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of the vehicle; and
  • Is not caused by unauthorized or unreasonable use of the vehicle after sale.

What is considered a “reasonable” number of repair attempts depends on many factors. While the following factors are not required, there is a rebuttable presumption that your vehicle is a lemon if:
  • The problem first occurred within 18 months of delivery or 18,000 miles (whichever comes first);
  • If required by the warranty or owner’s manual, you notified the manufacturer about the problem; and
  • You have taken the vehicle in for repair by the manufacturer or its agents:
    • Four or more times for the same problem and it still is not fixed, or
    • Two or more times for the same problem, if that problem is big enough to cause death or serious injury, and it still is not fixed, or
    • The vehicle has been out of service for repair for more than 30 days (the 30 days do not need to be in a row).

If your vehicle is a lemon, the manufacturer must promptly repurchase or replace it. You have the right to choose a refund instead of a replacement.

Lemon vehicles that are bought back by dealers and then resold must be identified as a “lemon law buyback” and have a “lemon” sticker on their door. When lemon buybacks are not properly disclosed and sold “as is,” the buyer may still have rights under the Lemon Law. For additional information, see Lemon Law Buyback Vehicles.

Even if the Lemon Law does not apply in your case, other state and federal laws may protect you. These include laws that prohibit deceptive practices and require vehicles to meet minimum safety standards. For advice concerning your legal rights, consult an attorney.

Last edited by Dstopsie; 07-11-2022 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Typos
Pro CPA (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 675 Likes on 532 Posts
c
Yes, keep taking it into service if you actually have concerns.
Pro CPA (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 08:43 AM

2022 C300 4 Matic
Hi

Originally Posted by Dstopsie
Hi

You need to research your states lemon law requirements. I’m in California and before a vehicle can be declared a lemon the dealer still has to have the chance to fix it in a reasonable amount of attempts. The lemon law provisions provide guidance on what this means. I researched the law and it’s provisions here in CA extensively because 3 days after I got my 2023 C300 I had the clunk thump issue with the brakes. My car had 30 miles on it. My dealer was able to fix it after being there for 2 weeks.

Did you tint your rear window? People have been having problems with their cars after doing this as water has been frying the electrical components and modules in the rear window. I tinted mine without issues.

I recommend you call MBUSA 1-800-367-6372. I contacted them for my brake issue as I wanted it on record and they were helpful in getting may car repaired. If you’re in the United States you would need to deal with them for requesting that they buy back the car as of the lemon law statutes.

For example here are the provisions of the CA lemon law which may be similar to those in your state.

California Lemon Law:

The California Lemon Law (Civ. Code, § 1793.2 et seq.) protects you when your vehicle is defective and cannot be repaired after a “reasonable” number of attempts.

The Lemon Law applies to most new vehicles purchased or leased in California that are still under a manufacturer’s new-vehicle warranty. Full-time active-duty members of the Armed Forces stationed or residing in California at the time of purchase or lease are protected by the Lemon Law even if their vehicles were purchased or registered outside of California. The Lemon Law also applies to used vehicles when they are still under a manufacturer’s new car warranty. Any remaining time left on the warranty protects the car’s new owner.

Under the Lemon Law, the manufacturer may be required to buy back or replace your vehicle if, after a “reasonable” number of repair attempts, it cannot repair a problem that:
  • Is covered by the manufacturer’s new-vehicle warranty;
  • Substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of the vehicle; and
  • Is not caused by unauthorized or unreasonable use of the vehicle after sale.

What is considered a “reasonable” number of repair attempts depends on many factors. While the following factors are not required, there is a rebuttable presumption that your vehicle is a lemon if:
  • The problem first occurred within 18 months of delivery or 18,000 miles (whichever comes first);
  • If required by the warranty or owner’s manual, you notified the manufacturer about the problem; and
  • You have taken the vehicle in for repair by the manufacturer or its agents:
    • Four or more times for the same problem and it still is not fixed, or
    • Two or more times for the same problem, if that problem is big enough to cause death or serious injury, and it still is not fixed, or
    • The vehicle has been out of service for repair for more than 30 days (the 30 days do not need to be in a row).

If your vehicle is a lemon, the manufacturer must promptly repurchase or replace it. You have the right to choose a refund instead of a replacement.

Lemon vehicles that are bought back by dealers and then resold must be identified as a “lemon law buyback” and have a “lemon” sticker on their door. When lemon buybacks are not properly disclosed and sold “as is,” the buyer may still have rights under the Lemon Law. For additional information, see Lemon Law Buyback Vehicles.

Even if the Lemon Law does not apply in your case, other state and federal laws may protect you. These include laws that prohibit deceptive practices and require vehicles to meet minimum safety standards. For advice concerning your legal rights, consult an attorney.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and tips with me. It must be helpful a lot.
My car is original, nothing done.
So there is no tint problem.

I’ll visit a dealership today as the third attempt for the same problem.
I live in Michigan.
A Michigan lemon law seems similar to California. Because the same problem occurred 3 times so far, I think I’m going to start searching for a lemon law attorney.
Benz service center seems they don’t know what the exact problem is and how to solve it.

Meanwhile, I also sent an email regarding this electrical issue to MB USA yesterday. I’m not sure how they will handle.

From my understanding, all most every car with 48v system has the similar or same problem like I have.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:45 AM

2022 C300 4 Matic
!

Originally Posted by alexasa
Yes, keep taking it into service if you actually have concerns.
Yep. I will keep visiting and gathering history for the further action.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:53 AM

2020 C300 Sedan
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and tips with me. It must be helpful a lot.

I live in Michigan.
A Michigan lemon law seems similar to California. Because the same problem occurred 3 times so far, I think I’m going to start searching for a lemon law attorney.
Benz service center seems they don’t know what the exact problem is and how to solve it.

Meanwhile, I also sent an email regarding this electrical issue to MB USA yesterday. I’m not sure how they will handle.

From my understanding, all most every car with 48v system has the similar or same problem like I have.

I would not send the email to MBUSA. Call them, make a complaint and they will assign it to a Executive Manager for review and assistance. I sent them an email in the beginning also and never got a response. You need a documented complaint with a case number from them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dstopsie:
gkg680 (07-22-2022), Pro CPA (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
Never buy the first model year of any car. Lesson learned hopefully.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:14 AM

2022 C300 4 Matic

Originally Posted by Dstopsie
I would not send the email to MBUSA. Call them, make a complaint and they will assign it to a Executive Manager for review and assistance. I sent them an email in the beginning also and never got a response. You need a documented complaint with a case number from them.
I appreciate that.
As you suggested, I will call them to report this issue.
What do you mean “ a documented complaint with a case number”? Does MB USA would give me a doc and a case number after I talk with them?
Old 07-11-2022, 10:16 AM

2022 C300 4 Matic
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
This problems looks like have occurred to the universal MB models for the last couple of years.

I can’t believe how bad their quality is.
Even Hyundai or Kia would have better quality now a days. lol
E55Greasemonkey (07-11-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:24 PM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
I made that mistake in 2001 with a custom ordered C240 4Matic. I'm trying not to repeat that mistake.

OP, fight, fight, fight. You may have a lemon. If you get any chance to return it, then DO SO!
Old 09-22-2022, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C300
I've got the same model and I just experienced this same exact issue down to a t. Same exact warnings. Were you able to get to a resolution with this through MB or did you have to proceed with the lemon? I used meconnect and they sent out a tow truck for me because initially I couldn't even get the car to start.
The following 2 users liked this post by broski:
MercedesFan2023 (05-08-2023), yasmint (01-04-2023)
Old 11-15-2022, 03:20 PM

c300
Hey, I got the same model c300 2022 and same issue twice this week, I parked my car outside less than 2 hours. I can't unlock my door with fob. I ended up using emergency key to open the door then see the same error message. I can start my car but some functions were not working, such as rolling down window, opening the trunk, side mirror sensor. After a few minutes drive and parked my car for about 30 minutes. the issue has gone. It happened twice last week, does anyone know what was going on?
MercedesFan2023 (05-08-2023)
Old 11-15-2022, 04:04 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by gordon801111
Hey, I got the same model c300 2022 and same issue twice this week, I parked my car outside less than 2 hours. I can't unlock my door with fob. I ended up using emergency key to open the door then see the same error message. I can start my car but some functions were not working, such as rolling down window, opening the trunk, side mirror sensor. After a few minutes drive and parked my car for about 30 minutes. the issue has gone. It happened twice last week, does anyone know what was going on?

file a report with NTSB so there is a record of it. You can do it online.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:10 PM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C300

I live in Michigan.

Ask the service advisor to replace both the 12v and 48v battery. Other users have posted of similar battery warnings after delivery on w206s. Some suspect it’s a result of the cars sitting for months after production due to delivery delays. Have you checked the production date of your VIN?

Do not pay for any repairs as it should be covered under warranty. The car is brand new. The dealer should be able to resolve this without having to involve an attorney.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,425 Likes on 2,066 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by 818benz
Ask the service advisor to replace both the 12v and 48v battery. Other users have posted of similar battery warnings after delivery on w206s. Some suspect it’s a result of the cars sitting for months after production due to delivery delays. Have you checked the production date of your VIN?

Do not pay for any repairs as it should be covered under warranty. The car is brand new. The dealer should be able to resolve this without having to involve an attorney.
As mentioned by forum member 818benz, if they aren't willing to replace the battery then execute lemon law rights as mentioned as well by other forum members. All the problems shown from your vehicle is clearly a battery related issue, the electronics on the W206 is sensitive and a bad battery will disable many things and cause all sorts of error messages to come up. Good luck, if your dealership isn't willing to work with you, try a different dealership but since you have a case opened with mbusa, go that route first.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 2021
I also want to know that. I was searching the internet for a decent website that could translate vaccination records, but I couldn't find one, but I came across https://thewordpoint.com/services/ce...nization-cards, which is excellent for translation services. You should check out this website. and complete your translation services.

Last edited by DonnaGriffin; 11-23-2022 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,425 Likes on 2,066 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by DonnaGriffin
I also want to know that.
You want to know what?
Old 11-22-2022, 06:17 PM

c300
Update: I brought my car to the service and they did a software update on my car. no battery issue found. I'll update here if any issue comes up again.
zz2017 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 10:11 AM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C300
Originally Posted by gordon801111
Update: I brought my car to the service and they did a software update on my car. no battery issue found. I'll update here if any issue comes up again.
Glad to hear!! Be weary of any future battery problems. Don’t take any responsibility of most issues as car is “new” - 4 years or 50k miles
Old 01-04-2023, 03:53 AM

2022 c300
Hello I bought the same car in May 2022 and a week later I started having the same issues as you. I’ve taken it multiple times to the dealership and had the battery replaced. (Which I thought fixed the problem but it didn’t) I had to call the manufacturer and started a case for them to buy back my car as a lemon for the same reason it’s really stressful having to deal with a car like this. I have to take it again tomorrow for service because my car won’t start and the 12 v battery keeps coming out.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
N/A
@Pro CPA Is the problem Solved now? I want to know how the problem was resolved..!!! I am getting the new c43 amg soon and I am kinda concerned if the new car has the same issue.
Old 02-19-2023, 05:21 AM

W211
Hey Guys, have same issue with my C180, only have 4500 miles on it. Also my car send me on mercedes me info about crash and starts up auto-alarm by it self.
This week will go to service, they did softwear update already. Few days ago I did wireless update and it gets worst. Even start to emergency brake but it self
while Im driving it and thats really scary. Im really pissed of. Will let You know how it goes.
Old 03-06-2023, 02:34 PM

C300
I posted on another thread that mine ( 2023 C300 Germany Manufactured) presented Cooling System Fault twice. The error was gone after turning ignition off and back on. No mechanical signs (colant or oil temperature rise) that this is a "real problem". Took to dealer the first time and took today again... Once again no errors found.

But car will undergo a recommendation by Mercedes Brazil that might help your case...

Mercedes Brazil said that even after parts being replaced some issues are not going away. The have traced back the issues (several) to a single cause: Faulty Grounding and are recommending dealers to check all grounding points.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:59 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
C 43
Sorry, OP. A lifetime of playing with German cars at all price points has taught me that you buy after the mid cycle facelift, it is when they fix "all the things". If one gets a first year build, lease it. Good Luck, document everything, find a good Lemon Law attorney in your state.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:33 PM

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
Lucky you are in the USA and have the Lemon Law to protect you.
If you were in Canada, you need to take the car and leave it there and tell them you don't want it back until they solve the problem. Or you may have to reach to Corporate for additional help and see IF they can help however just a heads up. All Automotive customer service at that level is weak and lack empathy and care and this does not exclude Mercedes - Luxury brand where you expect more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2022 C300 (w206) - Battery red warning from a brand new car