New to MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW Touran
New to MB

Hi, I am new to the forum and MB.

Until today I was hoping to be a new BMW customer waiting for my new all electric i4 to be delivered. I had been patiently waiting for this delivery since I pre-ordered it back in July 2021, at the time with an expected delivery date of January 2022. The date has slipped many times but I have been patient (not that I had any other choice) in the belief that sooner or later my order would be fulfilled.

Last week I was finally told that my car has been built and will be delivered soon, but to my shock they decided not to include 4 main options I selected due to chip shortages (Driving and Parking assist among them). Although I knew BMW would not allow these options on new orders unless you bought a higher spec car I thought BMW would honour existing orders, especially pre-orders, but they haven’t. To add salt to the wound they didn’t tell me (or my dealer) before the car went into production thus not giving me the option to change my order to a higher spec, the only option I have now is to either take it as is or cancel it and order a new one with expected delivery in about a year’s time. I would be mad to trust them again, so here I am.

I am now looking for an alternative to the i4 and I don’t like neither of the other saloon electric cars currently on the market in the same price range (Tesla M3 and Polestar 2). Instead the new C-Class 300e looks like a good fit for my needs even without being fully electric, the range on the battery is more than enough for my city trips and will probably cover 70% of my yearly usage. The reviews I have seen are all positive and the features affected by the chip shortages are small (wireless charging and Burmester not available in the UK).

The dealership I have visited tells me that delivery for a new order will take about 6 months for the UK, is this about right?

Can I expect better treatment from MB if things don’t go as planned? i.e. will they honour existing agreements (price, spec) or make changes without telling you and expect you to suck it up?
Old 07-11-2022, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W206 forum...
Old 07-12-2022, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
The hybrid model the OP is referencing is not sold in the U.S. to my knowledge so I'm not sure what to advise. I know that all of the manufacturers are suffering because of the chip shortage.