C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Headlight issue-digital light package (dark shadows below the headlight line)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 10:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
C300
Headlight issue-digital light package (dark spots below the headlight line)

Hi all, I own a 2022 W206 Mercedes C300 in the US equipped with the Digital Light Package. I have noticed some dark spots appearing below the headlight line, particularly towards the left and mid zone at the low beam. Although I am aware that the left side illumination is usually shorter to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers, these spots appear to be within the illumination zone, as if something is blocking the light.

I brought it to the dealership, and they replaced the headlights, but the dark spots persist. The production manager then claimed that these shadows are normal and part of the digital light pattern. However, I find them to be a distraction while driving at night and a potential safety concern. I would appreciate it if anyone else who owns a W206 with the Digital Light Package could share their experience with their headlights. I have attached an image, a diagram, and a video to illustrate the issue. Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails Headlight issue-digital light package (dark shadows below the headlight line)-img_4377.jpeg  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_4386.mov (15.54 MB, 156 views)

Last edited by Benea; 02-02-2023 at 11:31 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Benea:
Heavy924 (10-15-2022), JJ79 (12-17-2022), joebat (01-10-2024), Ron P Baker (12-19-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 09:48 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
C300
Mine has only a distinguishable one and is the one to the right center. Is the most pronounced and I believed was the led turned off to avoid blinding the incoming traffic. The rest of the leds are working as advertised. When the high beams comes on that spot is removed and I don't have any spots in my field of view.
I've noticed also that the projectors move that spot as the weels are turned to follow the road.
​​road.a test you could do yourself is to place the car facing a dark wall in close proximity (10 feet or so) at night and see if you can determine the shadows position
The following users liked this post:
Benea (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 10:06 AM

C300
Thanks for the reply! I realized the same thing, when the high beams are active the shadows are not visible. Also, as you said the shadows are slightly moving when I turn the wheels. But, considering we see different number of shadows and at different locations, there might be something wrong with these headlights (e.g. design or a software issue). I will directly e-mail manufacturer about this issue as the service thinks this is normal.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Given that the dark areas dissappear when high beams are on it seems that it's not a faulty individual LED but rather a software issue.
Benea (09-22-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
I have the exact same pattern. Will be interested in the solution.
Old 10-16-2022, 05:54 AM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
2022 C300
Left low beam looks like it has a few "pixels" (whatever they call them, much larger when projected) dead.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2022 C300
Originally Posted by Benea
Hi All, I own a 2022 W206 Mercedes C-300 in US with the digital light package. From the beginning, I realized a few round dark shadows (always there) below the headlight line closer to the left and mid zone at the low beam. I know that the left illumination zone is usually shorter than the right side to prevent blinding drivers coming from the opposite direction. But these shadows are actually formed within the illumination zone as if something is blocking them. I took it to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and they confirmed the shadows. They told me that there are dust and scratches within the headlights and they replaced the headlights. However, the shadows are still present and the production manager at the service is now telling me that these shadows are normal and part of the digital light pattern. The shadows are very distracting while driving and making a blind spot on the road. Does anyone have W206 with digital light package who could share their experience with the headlights? I have attached an image and a video showing the shadows.

Thank you!
I just picked up a 2022 C300 last night and noticed this right away. Has there been a solution for this issue? It just doesn't seem right that these black spots be present while driving. Thank you for posting this.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:14 PM

C300
Unfortunately, there have been no solutions so far. The dealer acknowledged the problem and replaced the headlights for this issue. But, the shadows are still present and the service manager ended up saying that this is the normal digital light pattern and there is nothing to do. It does not make any sense to me.

Last edited by Benea; 01-18-2023 at 01:17 PM.
JJ79 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 05:41 PM

2022 C300
There's no way this is normal. There should not be black spots while driving at night. This is a serious safety issue. I made an appointment for mine, the car is not even a month old.
Benea (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 01:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2022 C300 Sedan
My car has the digital light system and mine has the same dark spots. I haven't taken it to the dealership about this yet. I'll ask about it when I take my car next week to address the creaking/ clicking noise in the driver's seat.
The following 2 users liked this post by camarc68:
Benea (01-24-2023), JJ79 (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 01:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C200d W206
My car (out of the product line 5. month of 2021) does not have these dark spots (and yes, I do have the Digital Lights)...
Benea (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 02:01 PM

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
2023 C Class
Originally Posted by LarsB
My car (out of the product line 5. month of 2021) does not have these dark spots (and yes, I do have the Digital Lights)...
where are you located at?

It appears only US models are affected. Wonder if it has anything to do with the government restrictions in our market.
(and also wonder if coding from Simone Benz -SimoMBcoding on fb- would solve that)
Old 01-24-2023, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
It was once very popular in the Audi world to install "ecodes" - basically euro lights to 1: remove the orange reflector and 2: for better light

lights on my car and the beam is waaaay better than the US spec,, If you look closely on the xenon lense on the US spec lights you will see rigid lines on the lens in a circular shape,,, this difuses the light differently,, the euro spec dont have this, just a clear lens,, the light is way more focused and direct.
​​​​​​​I wonder if something similar is happening here.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C200d W206
Originally Posted by giovane
where are you located at?

It appears only US models are affected. Wonder if it has anything to do with the government restrictions in our market.
(and also wonder if coding from Simone Benz -SimoMBcoding on fb- would solve that)
You might be right. I'm located in Europe - Denmark to be more specific...
Old 01-26-2023, 08:39 AM

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by giovane
Even though adaptive high beams are now allowed in the US, we still have different brightness regulations. I'm sure it was down to either dimming the headlights or turning off a few LEDs to be able to offer the digital beam headlights here. The dealer replacing the headlights and claiming the shadows were "dust" of course was just to try and placate the OP, before finally stating that it is, in fact, the digital light pattern (what they should have done in the first place).

The problem I see is that the headlights appear to be aimed much too low. The main part of the beam seems (from the photo) to be hitting barely 10-15ft in front of the car. With the headlights aimed correctly, the darkened areas, would (I think) be much less noticeable. If you're not inclined to adjust them yourself, find a dealer or certified body shop that has a beam setter and get them re-aimed.
The following 2 users liked this post by MB_FanAddict:
Benea (01-26-2023), JJ79 (01-26-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
EQS SUV
Hope you do not mind, I reposted your Post on the EQ All Electric forum

(1) Headlight issue-digital light package (dark shadows below the headlight line | Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum (mbeqclub.com)
The following 2 users liked this post by divent:
Benea (02-01-2023), JJ79 (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 06:00 PM

2023 C Class
Originally Posted by divent
Well it's starting to be suspicious. It might be done on purpose from MB to comply US brightness regulations...?
JJ79 (02-01-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 01:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
GLE 350, C300, GLC 300
Originally Posted by MB_FanAddict
The problem I see is that the headlights appear to be aimed much too low. The main part of the beam seems (from the photo) to be hitting barely 10-15ft in front of the car. With the headlights aimed correctly, the darkened areas, would (I think) be much less noticeable. If you're not inclined to adjust them yourself, find a dealer or certified body shop that has a beam setter and get them re-aimed.
Though I do not have the Digital Light Package...I also noticed that the our C300 headlights (on low beam) appear to be aimed low as well. The car is in the shop right now and we are driving a GLB loaner and they project further out on low beam. Curious, if this is just the way the C300's are aimed or if this can be different per car based on how things were adjusted at the factory. Would the Dealer be able to check and adjust it?
Old 02-08-2023, 03:08 AM

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jbizios
Though I do not have the Digital Light Package...I also noticed that the our C300 headlights (on low beam) appear to be aimed low as well. The car is in the shop right now and we are driving a GLB loaner and they project further out on low beam. Curious, if this is just the way the C300's are aimed or if this can be different per car based on how things were adjusted at the factory. Would the Dealer be able to check and adjust it?
Sorry for the late response.....Yes, the dealer SHOULD be able to check/adjust the headlights on your C300. Most late model Mercedes have caps on the adjusters but they are there.

If the adviser comes back to you with excuses or tells you "they're fine", talk to the service manager/foreman and/or try another dealer. The warranty adjustment period is only (12mo/12kmi?), so don't put off having the headlights adjusted or expect to be charged. Similar to a parking brake adjustment, if not caught by the dealer during the PDI it becomes the owner's responsibility to bring it to the dealer's attention and pay (if outside the warranty period).
Old 02-16-2023, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
I guess it is normal ?

Took vehicle in for service. Was told by the dealer that this is an “inherent condition of the vehicle.” Mercedes is aware of the concern and there are no plans to resolve this issue. WOW

Hope they are able to address the other issues.

Brakes very touchy at low speeds.

Creak behind drivers seat under load. Both on acceleration and braking conditions. UPDATE May 5th 2023: LI91.10-P-076097 Lower Seat Frame replacement

Center stack keeps resetting or not turning on at all. Six updates to the MBUX unit so far. UPDATE May 5th 2023: Software Update

Steering column make popping noise when returning to drivers position. UPDATE May 5th 2023: Software Update

Keyless entry works sporadically at best. In some cases the vehicle does not recognize the key fob.

Other than that it is a great car with only 2k miles on it.

I gotta say that this is not at all what I expected. I have owned Cadillac’s for the last 20 years and never once experienced this level of problems on a new vehicle. Especially that of a new Mercedes.

Last edited by Heavy924; 06-06-2023 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Updates
Old 04-13-2023, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
bumping this. Finally took delivery of my car and there is clearly a "dead" spot on the drivers side. I noticed it on my first night drive. MY23 C43 AMG w/ digital lights. I'd still say I love the digital lights regardless, the corner lighting and the unlock animation are just treats that are foreign to me that I absolutely love and impress.
Old 04-13-2023, 02:02 PM

2023 C Class
Yes it's the same on my new '23
Old 04-25-2023, 09:38 AM

2022 c399
all functions?

I have a 22 c300 with the same dark spots so it seems a characteristic of the lights. BUT on the videos, it shows the high beams creating dark spots behind cars ahead. My lights just go to full lower power whenever there is any light on the road and/or any car on the road. Is this correct"
Old 04-25-2023, 12:07 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikeold
I have a 22 c300 with the same dark spots so it seems a characteristic of the lights. BUT on the videos, it shows the high beams creating dark spots behind cars ahead. My lights just go to full lower power whenever there is any light on the road and/or any car on the road. Is this correct"
In US, you can only get auto high beam - Adaptive High Beam Assist. It turns high beam on when there are no cars, and off when there are cars in front.
What you saw on video is anti-glare high beam - Adaptive High Beam Assist PLUS. This is available in Canada and Europe. Basically the high beam would stay on at most times, and it blocks off the high beam in selected areas around the car in front and on coming traffic.
AzurSL (04-29-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 02:45 PM

2022 c399
Originally Posted by nosnoop
In US, you can only get auto high beam - Adaptive High Beam Assist. It turns high beam on when there are no cars, and off when there are cars in front.
What you saw on video is anti-glare high beam - Adaptive High Beam Assist PLUS. This is available in Canada and Europe. Basically the high beam would stay on at most times, and it blocks off the high beam in selected areas around the car in front and on coming traffic.
Thanks so much, glad to know it was just US compliance rather then a problem. I bought my own dash cams because MB required you to turn it on every time you used the car- no parking mode.Must be German privacy laws.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headlight issue-digital light package (dark shadows below the headlight line)