C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Mercedes Me saying Connected Traffic Light Services not available?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 01:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2022 C300 (W206 USA)
Unhappy Mercedes Me saying Connected Traffic Light Services not available?

When I first picked up my 2022 C300, I was able to see how long traffic lights had until they went from red to green. I realized last week I haven't seen it the service in like a month.

I took my car in to the dealership to see if they could fix it, and they told me it doesn't exist. I had to convince them by showing a literal video of my car using the service, and the service being turned on in my Mercedes Me app. After waiting, the service advisor just said "sorry, it doesn't work here in AZ", even though the video I showed them was down the road from the dealership.

I called Mercedes Me customer service, and they also say it's not active. Is this service working for anyone in the US? Was it just a glitch that I had the service?
Old 02-15-2023, 02:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 C Class
it's incredible the amount of ignorance and ineptitude you can find at dealerships.
Old 02-15-2023, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,011 Likes on 592 Posts
N/A
I think I heard that this service was discontinued.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,659 Posts
2019 C63CS
I haven't' read specifically that it was discontinued, but I wouldn't be surprised. Audi pioneered the system something like 5-6 years ago. It hasn't caught on. There are only a few downtown areas in less than a handful of cities that have enabled it. It requires local traffic control centers to supply the traffic light data in real-time to the cloud, and few have been willing to make that investment. Most places in the US don't even have road sensors and smart traffic lights to begin with. They turn red for minutes w/o anybody going the other directions. I've also heard that it wasn't very reliable. The data was often delayed, so what was displayed in the car did not match the actual traffic light cycles.

It was an interesting idea, but didn't really pan out in the real world. It was also one of those assistance systems that gave drivers a free pass to not pay attention. It didn't make the lights turn any faster, so the value is kinda limited unless you are one of those drivers who doesn't devote their full attention to driving the car as they should and need to be alerted when the light turns. Plenty of those kinda folks on the roads unfortunately, starring at their smartphones and not realizing the light has turned. Let's spend the energy and money on better driver education. Maybe that's just me.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-15-2023 at 05:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
23C300W4 (02-16-2023)