C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Please help I hate this interface so much

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 10:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
W206
Please help I hate this interface so much

I have no idea how, but today I managed to accidentally change the Android Auto display from full screen to some kind of split screen. Instead of showing a single thing (i.e. Google Maps) full screen, as I'd prefer, now one display is on the top half, there's 2 small displays below it, and a ton of empty wasted space below that. I'm not joking when I say I spent 1.5 hours in the car trying to figure out how to change it back. Including resetting the entire system to factory settings. Nothing worked, and I was unable to do it through the phone either.

Yes, I know, I'll be the first to admit I'm completely "tech-tarded" but I cannot for the life of me figure this out. I just want my full screen back.

Old 02-10-2023, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 306 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Sounds like your best bet would be to stop by your local MB dealer and see if they can show you the steps needed to get your full screen back. Technology is great when it does what you need it to but it can be so terribly frustrating when it doesn't. I've certainly had my share of battles and frustration with technology so I completely understand your frustration.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 C Class
Did you try deleting your bluetooth pairing with the phone and making a new one?
Old 02-10-2023, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,659 Posts
2019 C63CS
I don't have Android, but this is an update that is now being pushed out to Android phones. The split screens are on purpose. Don't know if there's a setting in Android Auto to revert back to the old UI, but your phone just got updated.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023...olling-out-now
The following users liked this post:
Tommytheduck (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 04:09 PM

W206
Thanks, I hate it.

Well, I guess that makes sense after all. I don't like it though. I liked the map filling the whole screen, not half of it. It's much harder to read now. And there's so much wasted space underneath now. On the plus side, I guess it does make it easier to skip around in the audio side without having to take my eyes off the road as much.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C 300 2022 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Tommytheduck
I have no idea how, but today I managed to accidentally change the Android Auto display from full screen to some kind of split screen. Instead of showing a single thing (i.e. Google Maps) full screen, as I'd prefer, now one display is on the top half, there's 2 small displays below it, and a ton of empty wasted space below that. I'm not joking when I say I spent 1.5 hours in the car trying to figure out how to change it back. Including resetting the entire system to factory settings. Nothing worked, and I was unable to do it through the phone either.

Yes, I know, I'll be the first to admit I'm completely "tech-tarded" but I cannot for the life of me figure this out. I just want my full screen back.

This is new interface of Android Auto. It has nothing to do with the car or Bluetooth. If you want full screen map just touch on the Google Map icon. Or touch grid icon left from microphone icon to see classic home screen. Not sure if this new layout can be disabled it the setting. Haven't looked at it myself yet.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:10 PM

W206
Yeah, I do hit the "map" button to make the map bigger, but it's still smaller than it used to be with the same amount of wasted space beneath.

Oh well, I guess that's just how it is now, no use *****ing about it any more. But it really did ruin my day when it happened because I thought it was something that I did and couldn't for the life of me fix it, hahaha.

Reading what @superswiss posted above, I guess Android is continually updating the product and did so favoring horizontal screens. Perhaps in time there will be an option to select Vertical or Horizontal.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yeah I guess the navigation bar at the bottom makes it appear smaller, but it does take up the full space. It's just that you are always losing the bottom part to the navigation bar. CarPlay has had a similar layout for a while now with the new dashboard, but the navigation bar is on the left, so the rest is full height. Not sure if there's a setting in the new Android Auto that lets you move the navigation bar to the left, right or top. It sounds like the layout depends on the screen's aspect ratio. It seems to be placed on the left in case of a widescreen, but in case of the 4:3 ratio you get the stacked layout.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-11-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 c300 sedan
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yeah I guess the navigation bar at the bottom makes it appear smaller, but it does take up the full space. It's just that you are always losing the bottom part to the navigation bar. CarPlay has had a similar layout for a while now with the new dashboard, but the navigation bar is on the left, so the rest is full height. Not sure if there's a setting in the new Android Auto that lets you move the navigation bar to the left, right or top. It sounds like the layout depends on the screen's aspect ratio. It seems to be placed on the left in case of a widescreen, but in case of the 4:3 ratio you get the stacked layout.

how do you have that split screen layout on carplay mine does not look like that mine has map on top and 2 smaller boxes at bottom
Old 02-16-2023, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by jayhova711
how do you have that split screen layout on carplay mine does not look like that mine has map on top and 2 smaller boxes at bottom
That's just how it looks. I've never seen it any other way. It's always the map and two or three boxes on the right depending on what's active. Navigation box at the top, music below and then the third one is the next upcoming calendar event or the garage door/gate if you use Homekit and have a connected garage door/gate opener.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-16-2023 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C 300 2022 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jayhova711
Are you sure that it's Car Play but Android Auto? Because of it sounds as Android Auto. In other words do you have iPhone or Android?