OEM Speakers repalcement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S206 2022 C300e
Smile

Originally Posted by HumbleBy
Today I finally finalized the installation of the STEG BZN8 bass-drivers.
The sound system in my C300 now consists of the following:

- STEG BZN4C component set consisting of mid-drivers in the doors and tweeters
- Crossover installed between the speakers in the front doors and the output coming from the MBUX
- Burmester mid-drivers in the rear doors
- STEG BZN8 bass-drivers
- Axton A101 mono amplifier driving the STEG BZN8
- Self-made cables both inout and speaker-cables
Hi, I like your approach, I'm the same, not willing to pay for the plug & play and up for the challenge of making it work. I'm across the pond from you in Sweden so I can most likely get the same products as you.

For the foot well speakers, you went with the BZN8 from Steg, I have the basic system too, was the original a 6,5" and the rest just a big bracket?
I have a 3D printer at home and all I need in terms of software and knowledge to make my own brackets if needed. Do you think a generic low profile 8" woofer would be possible to fit with a custom bracket?

My first modification will probably be a high-pass amp and a stand alone sub, perhaps under the seat if it will fit, or in the trunk. Since I have a C300e with the battery in the back, there's really no room to hide a bulky box.
Old 07-04-2024, 04:55 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by RealElwood
Hi, I like your approach, I'm the same, not willing to pay for the plug & play and up for the challenge of making it work. I'm across the pond from you in Sweden so I can most likely get the same products as you.

For the foot well speakers, you went with the BZN8 from Steg, I have the basic system too, was the original a 6,5" and the rest just a big bracket?
I have a 3D printer at home and all I need in terms of software and knowledge to make my own brackets if needed. Do you think a generic low profile 8" woofer would be possible to fit with a custom bracket?

My first modification will probably be a high-pass amp and a stand alone sub, perhaps under the seat if it will fit, or in the trunk. Since I have a C300e with the battery in the back, there's really no room to hide a bulky box.
I would measure first to see if an 8” shallow would fit. Also run it in winisd to see if it models well within the airspace. I believe it’s somewhat like a sealed enclosure and not IB. I personally bought the 6.5” adapters from aliexpress which I’m surprised by how good the quality is.
Old 07-04-2024, 05:16 AM

S206 2022 C300e
Originally Posted by Holo
I would measure first to see if an 8” shallow would fit. Also run it in winisd to see if it models well within the airspace. I believe it’s somewhat like a sealed enclosure and not IB. I personally bought the 6.5” adapters from aliexpress which I’m surprised by how good the quality is.
Adapters to fit a generic 6,5" in the fotwell?
I've only seen speakers, and most quite expensive too.
Old 07-04-2024, 07:38 AM

C300
Adapters to fit a generic 6,5" in the fotwell?
I've only seen speakers, and most quite expensive too.
Correct. But it’s advised you still run a subwoofer in the trunk. The plug and play options though for the front firewall subs are expensive indeed, and imo NOT worth it unless you’re sure you’ll keep that car for a while. I preferred to run a 6.5” RS6 arc speaker in there instead. Cheaper, better performing, and I can swap it into another car if I wanted to.
Old 07-04-2024, 09:10 AM

S206 2022 C300e
Correct. But it’s advised you still run a subwoofer in the trunk. The plug and play options though for the front firewall subs are expensive indeed, and imo NOT worth it unless you’re sure you’ll keep that car for a while. I preferred to run a 6.5” RS6 arc speaker in there instead. Cheaper, better performing, and I can swap it into another car if I wanted to.
Is it these adapters?

Old 07-04-2024, 10:39 AM

C300
Is it these adapters?

correct! I have yet to fit them into the car but will make an update when I do. From what I can tell they should fit fine, including sealing up the chamber well. But you have to add your own gasket to seal it which isn’t a problem.
Old 07-04-2024, 10:58 AM

S206 2022 C300e
Originally Posted by HumbleBy

STEG bass-driver behind the plastic cover and Axton A101 placed between the plastic cover and the firewall.
Where did you get the 12V source from, is there a terminal near by? I assume the 12V battery is somewhere in the rear?
Old 07-04-2024, 11:59 AM

C300
Where did you get the 12V source from, is there a terminal near by? I assume the 12V battery is somewhere in the rear?
battery is in the rear but you can tap it from the front footwell distribution block. But I am tapping it directly from the rear battery under the trunk floor since I’m pulling like 1800w
Old 07-04-2024, 12:47 PM

S206 2022 C300e
battery is in the rear but you can tap it from the front footwell distribution block. But I am tapping it directly from the rear battery under the trunk floor since I’m pulling like 1800w
Were you able to find a good routing for the power through the cabin without too much disassembly?
Old 07-04-2024, 02:51 PM

C300
Were you able to find a good routing for the power through the cabin without too much disassembly?
I ran my power within the trunk since that’s where my amp is (Hard to hide a Sundown Salt 2 amp in the front). And for a smaller amp for the speakers I would still advise to have that amp in the trunk since it would be easier to install and access. If you want to hide the amp, there is a bracket on the left hand side in the trunk behind some carpeting where the stock burmester amp would usually sit. Having a shorter power wire in general is just better and safer overall, even if it’s properly fused with the correct wire size.
Old 07-11-2024, 03:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
W206 C300
I advice you to watch the Gladen video on Youtube where go through the process of mounting their speakers and DSP.
This walks you through how to get power to the amp.

I am quite happy with the setup I have now in my C300.
The only thing missing is dampening of the "housings" the 8" speakers are mounted in.
The music I listen to (Rock) can get quite boomy at times because I forgot to add some dampening to those chambers.