C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Fingerprint scanner intermittent

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 06:49 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
C300
Fingerprint scanner intermittent

Last week I started having issues with the fingerprint scanner. The system wouldn’t recognize my fingerprint any longer. It would sound with a low tone every time I applied my finger on the scanner without allow me access to my profile. Yesterday I decided to add a second fingerprint and it took me a very long time for the scanner to acquire it. (Initially it didn’t work at all and I had to watch a video on YouTube to check if I was doing the right thing). Eventually I managed after fiddling with the scanner. This morning going to work, it didn’t work again. And after a few attempt the system reverts to the PIN code. I was wondering if anyone else had this kind of problem.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
C300e
When I first got my car, it took me a while to understand the best way to do it but i think I got the idea how to best get it reading it.

I use the tip of the finger to scan and I hold it in place for at least 2 secs to allow it to read.
Its not quick like most modern smart phones so you have to leave your finger on it longer than usual to give it a good reading.
Old 07-07-2023, 10:06 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
C300
Apparently, deleting it and rescanning it seems to have made it somehow better. Thank you for the response!
Old 07-08-2023, 09:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
C300 W206 2022 / A3 Audi 2022
I had posted about this very issue a while back. One of the updates had messed up the scanner, it would not work after repeated tries. I deleted and set it up again and it started working.
The following users liked this post:
Heloflyer68 (07-08-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 04:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C250
The fingerprint scanner in mbux does not work the same way as PC or Phone.

It has to setup correctly before it will accept authorisation.
The way to setuup is NOT to hold the finger on it, like setup process on phones/pc.

It is a tap. tap, tap. Dont hold tap it for over 1.5sec.
Various finger taps positions are stored. You can add another finger - like 3 taps for index and 3 taps for thump for example.

The scanner in the 206 is an old tech sensor, meaning its sensor is not as sensitive as current laptops or phones. In winter, if you fingers are cold and numb, it will fail. If for example, you have been working with your fingers and its a little overworked or in winter you sit on your hands to keep it warm, the scanner will not detect the fingerprint ridges. Any moisture will throw it out as well. Any thin film of food residue will also block the scan, like having cakes/doughnuts/chips/lollies etc.