C-Class (W206) 2021 to

MBUX reset using CarPlay Navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
MBUX reset using CarPlay Navigation

Has anyone else is experienced this problem, and if so were you able to get it resolved?

MBUX glitches, resets and will not reconnect to CarPlay under the following conditions:
  • Phone connected to vehicle via CarPlay
  • Using CarPlay navigation apps Waze, Google Maps, or Apple Maps with a location that is more than 20 miles to destination . Note that no other app on CarPlay exhibits this condition.

Within three to five miles of navigated destination the system will glitch, both audio and video, and then go dark. If you wait long enough the MBUX system will appear to reset. After reset, CarPlay will not connect to vehicle until a hard reset takes place. I have had seven software updates, none of which have made any impact on the behavior described above. I have also updated the phone software and used other iPhones to duplicate the issue. In addition I have not experienced this issue on any of our other vehicles.

After working in the industry for 30 years, 13 of which in the infotainment area, I have never seen had an infotainment system crash like this while driving. This is my first Mercedes and so far I am not impressed.
Old 05-17-2023, 06:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2022 C300
It could be signal interference.

There are certain areas (congested) that seem to cause the wireless CarPlay to drop for me. There is a hospital I occasionally drive by and if I get stuck at the light there it causes the carplay connection to stutter and drop completely. I can’t reconnect usually until I turn the car off.

I have navigated for a few longer road trips with Apple and Google Maps and haven’t noticed any issues with the connection dropping in particular.
Old 05-20-2023, 08:45 AM

2022 C300
This is my biggest and only complaint.

This is my second Benz, I had a 2013 C250 as well which I loved. The 2022 C300 is an amazing car, but the info system will most likely be the reason I sell the car. No matter what phone I use, the carplay continually disconnects. When it disconnects moments before vital navigation, it become intolerable. Especially for the wife. I have had it in for service twice for this issue, with video proof of the screen just going black, one time the screen looked like when your hdmi cable gets loose and the screen is just garbled. I will be bringing it in for a 3rd time and ask that they replace everything, not just a "software" upgrade. If that doesn't do the trick, this will be the end of this vehicle for us.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:50 PM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C300
Originally Posted by Heavy924
Has anyone else is experienced this problem, and if so were you able to get it resolved?

MBUX glitches, resets and will not reconnect to CarPlay under the following conditions:
  • Phone connected to vehicle via CarPlay
  • Using CarPlay navigation apps Waze, Google Maps, or Apple Maps with a location that is more than 20 miles to destination . Note that no other app on CarPlay exhibits this condition.

Within three to five miles of navigated destination the system will glitch, both audio and video, and then go dark. If you wait long enough the MBUX system will appear to reset. After reset, CarPlay will not connect to vehicle until a hard reset takes place. I have had seven software updates, none of which have made any impact on the behavior described above. I have also updated the phone software and used other iPhones to duplicate the issue. In addition I have not experienced this issue on any of our other vehicles.

After working in the industry for 30 years, 13 of which in the infotainment area, I have never seen had an infotainment system crash like this while driving. This is my first Mercedes and so far I am not impressed.
This issue has been addressed several times on the forum as it’s so prevalent.

Quickest fix even while driving: Press and hold the power button below the MBUX screen until the screen turns off. Let go when the screen reboots. Then, tap the CarPlay icon in the top left of the screen. This worked every time for me.

If that doesn’t work, remove the phone from both MBUX and CarPlay in device settings. Then, re-pair.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C 300 2022 4MATIC
Originally Posted by siriddler
This is my biggest and only complaint.

This is my second Benz, I had a 2013 C250 as well which I loved. The 2022 C300 is an amazing car, but the info system will most likely be the reason I sell the car. No matter what phone I use, the carplay continually disconnects. When it disconnects moments before vital navigation, it become intolerable. Especially for the wife. I have had it in for service twice for this issue, with video proof of the screen just going black, one time the screen looked like when your hdmi cable gets loose and the screen is just garbled. I will be bringing it in for a 3rd time and ask that they replace everything, not just a "software" upgrade. If that doesn't do the trick, this will be the end of this vehicle for us.
Isn't using wired connection an option? It's what I would use if wireless isn't relable.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:04 AM

c300
Thanks for the many replies. Here are the responses to those comments
  • No EMI interferrence due to the ability to reproduce conditions and it is only with carplay in bluetooth mode
  • Hard reset has been performed over a dozen times in the past month to no avail.
  • Problem does not exist if you use the wired connection.

Will be taking it in again to see what they want to do.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:40 PM

c300
Dealer found no codes present, but there was a new MBUX software update. Just received car back with updated software and will see if that addressed the issue.
Old 06-10-2023, 05:47 PM

c300
My first system reset happen within 10 miles after starting navigation. After system reset, MBUX would only connect to device through Bluetooth. Last update did not fix the issue.
Old 06-11-2023, 06:40 AM

2023 c180 w206
Hi,

I have the same issue with my C a month ago. Now I know the issue it's not the car it is our phone. I have an apple 14 pro max and I recently updated the ios to 16.6 software since then I never had issues on stability and now I'm on ios 17 beta series still perfect no more crashing issues or suddenly your on a call when the mbux stops working everything will not work even a phone call. Ios update is the key!
Old 06-11-2023, 03:23 PM

c300
Originally Posted by Benedict_y007
Hi,

I have the same issue with my C a month ago. Now I know the issue it's not the car it is our phone. I have an apple 14 pro max and I recently updated the ios to 16.6 software since then I never had issues on stability and now I'm on ios 17 beta series still perfect no more crashing issues or suddenly your on a call when the mbux stops working everything will not work even a phone call. Ios update is the key!
I hope your are right. IOS 16.6 production release has not been announced, let alone 17. You must have signed up for the apple developer program to load 16.6 in beta. Important to note that I have never experienced this on any other vehicle, only those with MBUX 7. Will update after the 16.6 is released to the public. If you know something different, or an avenue to get 16.6 prod, please reach out.
Old 06-12-2023, 12:50 AM

2023 c180 w206
I hope your are right. IOS 16.6 production release has not been announced, let alone 17. You must have signed up for the apple developer program to load 16.6 in beta. Important to note that I have never experienced this on any other vehicle, only those with MBUX 7. Will update after the 16.6 is released to the public. If you know something different, or an avenue to get 16.6 prod, please reach out.
So far since I updated my iPhone 14 pro max to 16.6 to 17 i have no issues at all on my mbux. I live in the city so a lot of wifi signals around so every time i enter a busy street with buildings around me my mbux crashes right away. But now since i updated it no more issues whatsoever.
Old 06-12-2023, 12:54 AM

2023 c180 w206
Oh yes i used ios beta developer update so far no issues on my iPhone, I think wired connection works too on the Mbux as well.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:12 AM

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White
Heavy924. Sorry to hear about your problems. All my functions including CarPlay are working.
Reading the posts about your problems. I don’t see anything about checking the ground connection for MBUX. I’ve read other posts that a bad ground caused some MBUX problems. Might be worth asking the dealer to re-ground.
Old 06-23-2023, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,827 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
This keeps happening in the C300 loaner I have at the moment. Complete garbage. Can't wait to return this POS. Wireless CarPlay is unusable in this car and it's not my phone. I had an S 500 loaner last time and wireless CarPlay was working fine. Haven't tried wired CarPlay yet, because I don't wanna end up forgetting to take out the USB cable when returning the car. Apparently this disappointment of a car also doesn't have a wireless charger, but I suppose that's ongoing chip shortage. My phone battery is now down to about 50% after running some errands this morning.

On a side note, there's a knocking sound coming from the engine bay at idle that changes with rpm. Not audible once driving, but it's there as soon as I slow down to a stop. Glad this is only a loaner for me, but it largely confirms what a disappointed the W206 is. I suppose it's the first model year, so hopefully they sort out the issues by next year, but I'm hanging on to my 2019 C63S coupe.
Old 06-23-2023, 05:08 PM

Received 158 Likes on 126 Posts
AMG
Assuming C43 and C300 MBUX should be using same version, so this is mine and both CarPlay and Android Auto work both wired and wirelessly.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:17 PM

AMG
Also, are you subscribed to MB Hotspot and your phone connected to both BT and MB hotspot. If so, what are your wifi settings on your phone for this connection? and your BT settings?
Old 06-23-2023, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,827 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
I suppose there's hope. Looks like this loaner is running a significantly older version. Not sure who you are asking, but Mercedes me hasn't been activated and I never use the Wi-Fi hotspot. BT settings are standard with Show Notifications and sync contacts enabled. I guess this is the new normal. New cars get shipped with half baked software and you have to hope they fix all the bugs in a future update.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:29 PM

AMG
I was asking the owners since they'd have a complete setup and who knows what they do with loaners in terms of updates.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:08 PM

c300
Originally Posted by Dima
I was asking the owners since they'd have a complete setup and who knows what they do with loaners in terms of updates.
MBUX = RL_NTG7_E330.602_23063AC3 - No software changes since I received back from dealer.
IOS = 16.5.1 - New IOS software loaded today 06/23/2023. Vehicle exhibits same problem (Complete system reset) with two exceptions:
  1. Only occurred with Waze. Google and Apple Maps worked fine.
  2. When MBUX system reset, CarPlay reconnected instead of disconnecting the phone completely.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:39 PM

AMG
MBUX = RL_NTG7_E330.602_23063AC3 - No software changes since I received back from dealer.
IOS = 16.5.1 - New IOS software loaded today 06/23/2023. Vehicle exhibits same problem (Complete system reset) with two exceptions:
  1. Only occurred with Waze. Google and Apple Maps worked fine.
  2. When MBUX system reset, CarPlay reconnected instead of disconnecting the phone completely.
BT connection looks like this?

Old 06-23-2023, 11:55 PM

c300
Originally Posted by Dima
BT connection looks like this?

100% the same!
Old 06-24-2023, 03:41 PM

c300
Originally Posted by DESAL
Heavy924. Sorry to hear about your problems. All my functions including CarPlay are working.
Reading the posts about your problems. I don’t see anything about checking the ground connection for MBUX. I’ve read other posts that a bad ground caused some MBUX problems. Might be worth asking the dealer to re-ground.
I will have them checking the ground soon.
Old 09-01-2023, 04:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C250
I have same intermittent issues with AAuto as well.
mbux programming is VERY VERY IMMATURE.

I replied to this in another thread.
mbux will intermittently go into hung, or I dont want to play anymore.
the only way to get it going again is to delete and reconnect,

I also found out that mbux does not like short drives and short lock duration.
For example, on your way out, you stop to fill up. You lock car to pay. You come back unlock and go because others are waiting behind for your spot.
mbux will hang because it cannot handle so many tasks concurrently.
Once this happens, your seat postion might not go to your set postion. AAuto/carplay will hang. Proximity sensors/radar may give errors although there is nothing wrong with them.
mb must be using an old nvidia processor which does not have enough processing cores for all the inputs.