C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Distronic - Following Distance Problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 09:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2022 C300 Sedan
Distronic - Following Distance Problem?

My 2022 C300 sedan has the driver's assistance package and although I've had the car for about a year now, the last few months I've been putting on more freeway miles so I've been able to use distronic more frequently lately. Occasionally I've noticed my car seems to follow the car in front of me more closely than usual. (I usually have it set at 300 feet.) When it does this I'm able to lightly touch the distance adjust button (without changing the setting) and see in the display that the car in front of me is, in fact, closer than the following distance that's been set.) Then a few minutes later it seems to adjust and the following distance is extended to what it should be. I'm guessing it only does this about 10% of the time. Wondering if any others have noticed this type of behavior with their cars and, if so, if it was a problem the dealer was able to confirm and address. I'm taking the car in for its first regular service later this week. I thought about mentioning this to the service advisor but since it seems to be an intermittent issue I'm wondering if they'd have any luck in figuring out if there's really an issue. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2023, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,827 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
You have to provide more information to determine if there's an issue. The following distance is not a fixed distance. It's a following distance in seconds. So the actual distance depends on your speed. It leaves a larger gap the faster you drive in order to have enough room to come to a stop. Just like you are supposed to keep a distance of 3 seconds to ensure that there's enough room to come to a stop in an emergency. The actual following distance in feet changes constantly as you drive at different speeds and traffic ahead slows down and speeds up again.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2022 C300 Sedan
When this has occurred the speed I'm traveling has usually been 60-70 mph. No significant change in speed in the vehicle in front of me. Just seems the cars travels to closely for a while then at some point (for no apparent reason that I'm aware of), it slows down slightly to allow for a longer following distance.