C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Steering wheel noise when turning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W206 Estate AMG line
Steering wheel noise when turning

Hi, I've gotten some annoying noise when turning the steering wheel, clearly coming from the interior, and it sounds like it's from the actual steering wheel.

Mercedes changed the steering column module first, which actually only made it worse, and have recently changed a ring within the steering module, which only did minor help with the issue.

Now what is really weird, is that if I pull out ever so slightly in the airbag/horn, the sound gets much lower, so clearly something is stuck or grinding within within the steering wheel itself.

Does anyone else have this issue? heck if I slide in a credit card (stupid I know), between the airbag and the steering wheel frame, it gets alot better aswell.

Now I've been to two differerent shops, that sorta threw in the towel in a "new model new issues, wait for a recall" sorta attitude. Altho I've seen others in FB groups have the same issue, and got it fixed, one a plastic plate brushung aganst the steering column slip ring... whatever that it.

Any advice on how to fix it would be much appreciated, nothing worse than turning the wheel and that high plastic grinding noise.

added video for the sound
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7747.MOV (9.43 MB, 208 views)
Old 09-29-2023, 10:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 C Class
There is a tsb issued by Mercedes in March 2023 for the steering wheel noises.
Even though it doesn't mention "W206" in it, apparently the list includes new C Class models too.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...33783-0001.pdf

Old 10-04-2023, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w206
Any solution?

hi

any solution for this?

Originally Posted by Shazknee
Hi, I've gotten some annoying noise when turning the steering wheel, clearly coming from the interior, and it sounds like it's from the actual steering wheel.

Mercedes changed the steering column module first, which actually only made it worse, and have recently changed a ring within the steering module, which only did minor help with the issue.

Now what is really weird, is that if I pull out ever so slightly in the airbag/horn, the sound gets much lower, so clearly something is stuck or grinding within within the steering wheel itself.

Does anyone else have this issue? heck if I slide in a credit card (stupid I know), between the airbag and the steering wheel frame, it gets alot better aswell.

Now I've been to two differerent shops, that sorta threw in the towel in a "new model new issues, wait for a recall" sorta attitude. Altho I've seen others in FB groups have the same issue, and got it fixed, one a plastic plate brushung aganst the steering column slip ring... whatever that it.

Any advice on how to fix it would be much appreciated, nothing worse than turning the wheel and that high plastic grinding noise.

added video for the sound
Old 10-07-2023, 08:52 AM

W206 Estate AMG line
Originally Posted by aroi88
hi

any solution for this?
not any I know, seen others have stuff changed which fixed it, but not seen anything ob what’s really causing the issue.
Old 12-27-2023, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W206 4Matic AMG
I currently have a brand new W206 with 1100 km on it, and apparently, I am experiencing the exact same issue.
It occurs only when I turn the steering wheel to the left, and after 20 degrees.
Also, I've noticed that the noise doesn't occur when the car is cold-started; the creaking starts only after it has heated up.
The noise occurs both when the car is moving and when it is stationary
Attached Files
File Type: mov
20231225_175601.mov (13.71 MB, 61 views)

Last edited by tayfurm; 12-27-2023 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 02:49 PM

W206 Estate AMG line
Originally Posted by tayfurm
I currently have a brand new W206 with 1100 km on it, and apparently, I am experiencing the exact same issue.
It occurs only when I turn the steering wheel to the left, and after 20 degrees.
Also, I've noticed that the noise doesn't occur when the car is cold-started; the creaking starts only after it has heated up.
The noise occurs both when the car is moving and when it is stationary
hi, I found the error and sorta fixed it myself, untill mb figures it out.

First excuse my english, it’s not my first language.

the large black center of the wheel with the logo on it, is one piece, behind it at the lower part there are two spring on each side, I suspect these for causing the issue. If you pull out not too hard at the bottom of it, and turn the wheel while doing so, the sound should be gone or change.

I’ve had it at a workshop three times, and the mechanics had no fix, they dont do improvised fixes.

I bought some slim soft plastic pieces and slided them in, between the black piece with the logo and the wheel, possible if you pull it out slightly.

idelly i’s remove the center piece and fix it better, but I’ve got no ide on how to disable airbags, and rather not risc an incident.

anyways, the sound is gone, the horn works but I just press on the upper part of it.

in this video, around 20-22 second, you can see the two spring in the side of the airbag, which is suspect are making the noise

Last edited by Shazknee; 12-27-2023 at 02:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tayfurm (12-27-2023)