C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Next Gen CLS Rumors Spread, 5.5 Twin Turbo or 63-NA ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2009 | 08:26 PM

SL63
Next Gen CLS Rumors Spread, 5.5 Twin Turbo or 63-NA ?

Mercedes is preparing a full model change of its CLS sport sedan-coupe. It will be shown at the end of 2010, and likely go in U.S. sale as a 2012 model.

The car shares its platform with the recently renewed E-Class, but the design is far more expressive. While its silhouette is an evolution of the current car, there are substantial changes to the nose, which is more upright and forceful.
We spoke to Mercedes' head of passenger car design Karl-Heinz Bauer. He explained that he believes the mainstream Benzes will have to get more subtle in their design in coming years as owners want to be less flashy about their spending and driving habits. But he says the niche models such as the CLS and other coupes and sports cars will compensate by going the other way, getting more expressive.

What this means for the CLS is that the flanks will have an exaggerated version of the crease that runs upward ahead of the rear wheel and then flicks backward. It will also have a strong curved beltline, and wraparound rear lamp clusters. These photos show the AMG 63 version, wearing plastic panel disguise. Although the hood has apparent vents, these are dummies that won't appear in production.
Other big news for the CLS is that it will introduce a new family of downsized turbocharged direct gas injection engines. The technology has just been introduced on a European four-cylinder engine in the E-Class, the E250CGI. This is just a 1.8-liter four-cylinder, yet it makes 204 hp and 229 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm.

Benz engineers have confirmed to MT that in the next CLS, a V-6 will use the same DI turbo technology. We expect a 3.0-liter, with two outputs either side of 300 hp. A turbo V-8 will run to about 400 hp. All use the automaker's seven-speed autobox.
Above those comes the mighty 525 hp 6.3-liter AMG version seen in these shots. Its transmission is the AMG Speedshift MCT, a seven-speed auto trans with a robotically controlled clutch pack in place of the torque converter, for smooth starts and whip-fast on-the-gas shifts. It has widened tracks, and a hybrid suspension system of coils at the front and air springs behind, with adaptive dampers. Carbon-ceramic brake rotors will be available.
It is also possible that the four-cylinder version of the CLS, as well as a CLS350 BlueTec diesel, will make it to the U.S., depending on demand (both customer and legislative) for more economical vehicles.
http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/...ews/index.html

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/next-gene...oming-in-2011/

While the regular 2011 CLS coupe has ditched its fake plastic body-panels, the flagship CLS 63 AMG hasn’t as it was snapped testing at the Nurburgring.

It is expected to be fitted with either a 6.3 litre V8, taken from the 2010 E63 AMG or a brand-new 5.5 litre V8. Whatever the engine, output is expected to be rated from 500bhp – 570bhp with 465lb ft of torque that is linked to the SL63’s Speedshift MCT seven-speed automatic gear-box.

The AMG CLS will get bigger brakes, alloy wheels and an aggressive bodykit, while quad exhausts poke out from the rear to complete the AMG package.

The new CLS is expected to be launched as a 2011MY and the AMG version should be here by 2012.
http://carofthefuture.blogspot.com/2...h-thinner.html

All the latest Merc tech will also be available, including the a head-up display, 360-degree parking cameras, and lane-change warning systems. Attention Assist – which monitors the driver’s steering inputs and warns them if they’re falling asleep – will also be standard.

Under the bonnet the CLS isn't expected to feature any four-cylinder power. Instead the engine line-up should be:

Petrol
CLS 350 – 3.5-litre direct-injection V6, 292bhp; power output increases to 306bhp in 2012
CLS 500 – 5.5-litre V8, 388bhp; superseded by 435bhp direct-injection twin-turbo V8 in 2012
CLS 55 AMG – 5.5-litre twin-turbo direct-injection V8, 570bhp; available from mid-2011 onward
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...-2010-scooped/

The AMG version, however, could deliver a gobsmacking 470 horsepower from a twin-turbo 3.6-liter V-8 engine to replace the aging 6.2-liter V-8 found in the current '63' model family.

Barring the new small-displacement twin-turbo V-8, a revised version of the 5.5-liter mill, also bearing twin-turbos, could generate 422 horsepower for the next-gen SLK 55 AMG. A 2.2-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel is also a likely candidate, at least for Europe, for an entry-level SLK. The oil-burner might even see U.S. sales, but that will depend heavily on Mercedes' decisions regarding the same engine going into the C-Class.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...cedes-benz-slk

The engine range is set to be direct injection and turbocharged, with the now de rigueur mix of efficiency and performance on offer.

There’ll be a bunch of petrol units – a 3-litre V6 with 252 and 306bhp options, a 435bhp 4.6-litre V8 (with twin turbos) and a CLS55 AMG, utilising a twin-turbo a 5.5-litre 544bhp engine.
http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evospyshot...sbenz_cls.html
Old 11-01-2009 | 01:27 AM

2012 MB CLS 550
I for one hope they go with the 5.5L Twin turbo...This will be more easily tunable and offer up much more torque across the curve and available much lower in the RPM range....

Lou
Old 11-02-2009 | 08:50 PM

SL63
Private Lounge

Just was reading on the private lounge under announcements and article called SUSTAINABILITY. look for a shaded box called Efficient top performance.

2010 ALL AMG's models will have:

Start-Stop function that shuts off the motor everytime the car stops.

Direct Injection

2011:
all amg's will have cylinder shut off, eight for pleasure - four for economy.
weight savings
2012:
hollow drive shafts.
weight savings
Old 11-09-2009 | 09:27 PM

SL63
More shots:

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/455...wed-and-spied/

2011 CLS63 Shot:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...cedes-benz-cls

Old 11-09-2009 | 09:38 PM

SL63
Rendered shot

Rendered shot of 2011 CLS.

Old 12-10-2009 | 07:02 AM

SL63
The Mercedes-Benz CLS ignited the four-door coupe market when it was first introduced back in 2004, and since then we’ve seen several other luxury rivals attempt to emulate the design with cars like the 2010 Porsche Panamera, recently revealed 2010 Aston Martin Rapide and upcoming Audi A7.

Now, prototypes for Mercedes’ next-generation CLS has been spotted, revealing a few subtle clues about the new model. The latest shots show off the interior of the car, revealing a design very similar to that seen on the lower positioned E-Class.

The new CLS is expected to be launched in late 2010 as a 2011 model and positioned more upmarket to bring it in line with some of its more premium rivals. This will also allow Mercedes-Benz to introduce a second four-door coupe model, rumored to be based on its next-generation small car platform.

The new design will feature a wider track, as indicated by the extended wheel arches seen on previous test mules, and according to insiders its platform is borrowed from the current S-Class sedan flagship.

New to the CLS will be a hybrid option based on the same powertrain as the one used in the recently revealed S400 BlueHybrid. Other engine options will include both V-6 and V-8 powerplants, and there will be a high-performance AMG model, which you can see spy shots of by clicking here.

Also rumoured to be in the works is a new ‘shooting brake’ variant, which you can read about by clicking here.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...erior-revealed

http://www.autospies.com/news/SPIED-...EXPOSED-50287/

Old 12-10-2009 | 07:22 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
They can keep the butt ugly car but i will take the engine.
Old 12-10-2009 | 12:38 PM

CLS55 plus a few Ducati's
I do appreciate you posting this..... but, .... well, ... call me an old fart, but every time I see a new iteration of the CLS it strikes me that they got it right the first time. Each new variant has too much going on with lots of different lines on the car. In a classic case of less is more, the original design is clean, simple and stunning. I will surely be tempted with many new cars but as time goes on I think my 55 is here to stay. It is such a killer design. The new cars look like they have too many designers trying to have a say in the final look. I like the front end of this new car but the side and rear just lack the elegant simplicity of the original design.
Old 12-10-2009 | 12:51 PM

Merc CLS500 & BMW X3
Seems to me that unless you must have 4 doors, the new E coupe would give you the same look for far less money...
Old 12-10-2009 | 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Full Throttle
They can keep the butt ugly car but i will take the engine.
Originally Posted by DucatiNut
I do appreciate you posting this..... but, .... well, ... call me an old fart, but every time I see a new iteration of the CLS it strikes me that they got it right the first time. Each new variant has too much going on with lots of different lines on the car. In a classic case of less is more, the original design is clean, simple and stunning. I will surely be tempted with many new cars but as time goes on I think my 55 is here to stay. It is such a killer design. The new cars look like they have too many designers trying to have a say in the final look. I like the front end of this new car but the side and rear just lack the elegant simplicity of the original design.
Originally Posted by BakerBenz
Seems to me that unless you must have 4 doors, the new E coupe would give you the same look for far less money...
These three posts embody exactly what I feel about the new CLS, no need for me to repeat. The third, is what I have felt and saw for the jump. The new E looks so much like the CLS in shape, I posted back a few weeks ago about it looks way too similar.
Old 12-28-2009 | 09:49 PM

SL63
2011 CLS63 AMG now with 544 HP ?

New Mercedes-Benz CLS, type C218, C219, 2010 come

Of Markus Jordan | 21.Dezember 2009

Already replaced after six-year construction period, exactly in the year 2010, the current CLS (C219), which already a Facelift went through, from its successor (C218).
Momentarily the Erlkönige turn still your rounds - strongly camouflaged. On that Paris cars salon in September 2010 the new CLS is introduced however probably - so at least first information - for the first time to the public. The new CLS fails a little more broadly, than its predecessor is and thereby the same drive strand as the S400 hybrid received. During a first view of the ungetarnten model of us, the lateral alignments a little reminded E-class of the Coupé, would be here not the CLS typical 4 doors. Salient changes: LED day driving lights as well as completely changed front lights, beside coming S-class the Coupés similar front.

The Top model will the CLS63 AMG with from the E63 AMG (525 HP/640 Nm torque) admitted 6.3 litres of V8 to be - the engine puts here in the CLS however still another little at achievement too (544 HP, 900 Nm). The AMG variant is characterised then among other things by a four-tubing exhaust system, an adapted chassis and stronger brakes as well as the mandatory new aprons all around. The AMG variant comes however only 2011.

The new CLS receives those already well-known 7G-Tronic mechanism - however with start/stop system, as well as the new V6 and V8 engines from the current E-class. From the technical side the new CLS adheres, likewise to the E-class (W212). Thus the vehicle gets also the different Assistenzsysteme such as Attention Assist, improved night vision system, Distronic plus, BAS plus, PreSafe, speed limit and high beam assistant as well as the intelligent Light system (ILS).

http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.co...18-kommt-2010/

Last edited by turbotom1; 12-28-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2009 | 09:58 PM

SL63
Anyone know if its true there will not be a 2010 CLS63 and we have to wait for the 2011 model ?

I visited some dealers in Aug and picked up my 09 they all claimed there was no SL63 for 2010 and wanted sticker for what I considered an 09 (SL63) left over.

Old 12-28-2009 | 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
CLS or SL63? True there is no 2010 SL63, the SL is about to get another sprucing early next year, leds, new engines etc. No 2010 SL models at all. 2010 CLS models are already out.

M
Old 12-29-2009 | 01:45 AM

it seems like all the new mercedes need room to grow on us...
Old 12-29-2009 | 05:44 PM

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Originally Posted by Germancar1
CLS or SL63? True there is no 2010 SL63, the SL is about to get another sprucing early next year, leds, new engines etc. No 2010 SL models at all. 2010 CLS models are already out.

M
I am inclined to believe what you say about the 2011 SL. AMG has declared all v8 engines will be new twin turbos, so it would apply to the roadster. I also find it very likely about the LED additions, as now models that don't have them are sore to the eye. What I find it a bit redundant is that the current body style will last till 2011, only to be redesigned from the ground up a year later.
Old 12-29-2009 | 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by Ferri
I am inclined to believe what you say about the 2011 SL. AMG has declared all v8 engines will be new twin turbos, so it would apply to the roadster. I also find it very likely about the LED additions, as now models that don't have them are sore to the eye. What I find it a bit redundant is that the current body style will last till 2011, only to be redesigned from the ground up a year later.

Well more or less yes, but the R230 will have 2 more model years left, 2011 and 2012. The SL will get another very slight facelift for the 2011 model year and then a new SL will be out for the 2013 model year. These are U.S. dates, not necessarily corresponding to when the cars will be introduced in Europe. There is always a 6 month or so delay. The 2011 SL550/500 or whatever they call it should get a new 4.6L turbo V8 with about 435hp and the new SL55 (?) will have about 570hp. These engines and the refreshed grille/leds etc should give the R230 a nice sendoff IMO.

I'd bet on a totally new SL being shown sometime in 2011 or spring of 2012, either way it being a 2013 MY car for the U.S. market.

M
Old 12-30-2009 | 10:19 AM

SL63
CLS63 for 2011 or is it CLS55 again ?

Dr. Weber told Inside Line that all V8 models will be turbocharged by 2011 and the current AMG 6.2-liter V8 will be replaced by a 5.5-liter twin-turbo V8 with direct injection.

Dr. Thomas Weber is a member of the board of Daimler AG Group Research and Mercedes Benz Cars Development.

(So will they call it a CLS55 again ?)

Inside Line says: If you like the idea of a big-block Mercedes-Benz, better buy an AMG now. Come 2011 it's all about twin turbos and it won't be the same. — Scott Oldham, Editor in Chief
http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-b...-revealed.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/15/r...s-benz-6-2-li/

http://www.examiner.com/x-32892-Akro...-Mercedes-Benz

Speaking with Edmunds, Mercedes-Benz R&D exec Dr. Thomas Weber revealed that a new family of engines will emerge from Mercedes-Benz starting late next year that will rely heavily on turbocharging and direct injection to deliver gains in power, efficiency and CO2 reduction.

Labeled “MoVe” for modular V-6 and V-8s, the engines will first appear in new versions of the CLS, facelifted R-Class and S-Class Coupe (renamed CL Coupe).

Weber revealed that all V-8 engines will be turbocharged by the 2011 model year. This includes the current 6.2-liter AMG unit, which will be replaced by a 5.5-liter twin-turbo version with direct injection. Non-AMG models will get smaller V-8 engines as well as turbocharged V-6 units. Importantly, most will be designed to integrate with hybrid drive systems.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...benz-next-year
Old 12-30-2009 | 10:20 AM

SL63
New name CLS-Kompressor ?

CLS-Kompressor ?

Old 12-30-2009 | 10:42 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Who cares about this ugly over priced junk. Give me a Eaton blower for our k55's. I don't care what motor is in this new pile it cant outrun ugly.
Old 12-30-2009 | 02:01 PM

SL63
Hello Troll....

Hello Troll,

A. No one has seen the car. Only a fool decides from a 2" photo or even worse from an artists rendering. How many of us were fooled by hot show car pictures only to be dispointed in person, think Buick Reatta. How many times did we find a car at the show we never noticed before.

B. With an increase of 40-50hp and featuring twin turbos, mods will become much easier and less expensive than a 63 motors ever will be. Offering major torque increases sounds like a win for everyone who steps up and not so great for those now moving over to the right lane.

C. Typical sour grapes, you sank thousands into your car and now your stuck in time with the world still moving forward. No matter, new cars keep getting faster, use less fuel, have a warranty, are much safer, offer higher top speeds, more conveniences, much better sound system etc.

D. Keep clinging on to your disco pants too, they may come back in style.
Old 12-30-2009 | 02:15 PM

CL63, 2014 ML63, 2008 ML63, R500, GLK
Hate the new CLS design. The previous version looks better in my opinion.

I understand everyone is all amped up about twin turbos, but realistically... how much faster can the CLS get over the 63? There is a fine line between the HP and amount you'd be able to put on the pavement. A modded CLS63 will get to 60 in about 4 seconds... any quicker than that would be hard to come by even in the TT CLS. Adhesion, laws of physics, etc etc. Personally, I prefer AMG's 6.2 engine that is basically a detuned race engine. I

Last edited by princemarko; 12-30-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2009 | 02:41 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
I will put on my disco pants as I blow that ugly pos off the beltway.
Old 12-30-2009 | 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
LOL @ disco pants.

IMHO they can do the CLS the right or the wrong way. If they lean towards the CL (C216) design they'll go in the right direction. If they go the E-Class Coupé route I fear they'll screw up.
Old 12-30-2009 | 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Full Throttle
I will put on my disco pants as I blow that ugly pos off the beltway.
Hopefully you SBC system works when that slow a$$ car pulls out in front of you when you are blowing that ugly pos off the beltway. The 06 CLS is a nice car but the electronics and motor are very dated... especially that terrible SBC system with its concrete brick brake calipers and rotors.
Old 12-30-2009 | 05:34 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Kar don
Hopefully you SBC system works when that slow a$$ car pulls out in front of you when you are blowing that ugly pos off the beltway. The 06 CLS is a nice car but the electronics and motor are very dated... especially that terrible SBC system with its concrete brick brake calipers and rotors.
Whatever helps you sleep at night champ oh, and the motor in my 800whp Supra is very dated as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Next Gen CLS Rumors Spread, 5.5 Twin Turbo or 63-NA ?