C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

'12 CLS 63 Baseline Dyno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Thanks for live updates btw.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
It looks like you picked up 68rwhp and 108rwtq peak over your baseline dyno. That seems to be a little short of the RENNtech figures (especially the torque). Although, I am a little skeptical of some of the RENNtech "in-house" figures that seem to never be replicated by outside parties. I would be curious to see the dynos overlaid to see how much power you picked up throughout the RPM range.

Tom
Old 10-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
A little disappointing. Renntechs test car was 569/624 if I recall. Headed home. Will have graphs shortly.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by JumpinJim
A little disappointing. Renntechs test car was 569/624 if I recall. Headed home. Will have graphs shortly.
Different day, different conditions, different dyno?? So many factors... your car seemed extra strong in stock format so your gains could be less. For me the street will tell the story. Hopefully you have had some rolling runs with formidable cars and now should retest those challenges.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Don't be disappointed! Yeah...the RENNtech #'s are bigger...but take them with a grain of salt. You need to look at where you started and picking up 68p peak hp is really good...especially for such small turbos. The more important #'s are in that mid to upper RPM range. That is why the over laid dyno graphs will tell a better story than the peak to peak #'s. Your car is a beast and that tune was still worth it!

Tom
Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM

SL63
Here's the graph. I got copies of the dyno jet files of all the runs.

Same dyno as the baseline and it was 30 degress cooler today. They let me do a 4th run right after the 3rd to see if heatsoak would be an issue with the tune and it looks like it will be. There was a small loss of power on the 4th run with almost no cooldown time.

It's kind of hard not to be disappointed. I had my mind set on the big numbers, but I knew those were going to be on the high side. Wish I could have gotten over 600 tq though.
Attached Thumbnails '12 CLS 63 Baseline Dyno-renntech-tune-2012-cls63.jpg  
Old 10-28-2011, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5

Same dyno as the baseline and it was 30 degress cooler today. They let me do a 4th run right after the 3rd to see if heatsoak would be an issue with the tune and it looks like it will be. There was a small loss of power on the 4th run with almost no cooldown time.

It's kind of hard not to be disappointed. I had my mind set on the big numbers, but I knew those were going to be on the high side. Wish I could have gotten over 600 tq though.
Well if it makes you feel any better the correction factor on today's run was .97. So that means that uncorrected, you put down something like 565.5rwhp and 598rwtq. Your original run had a correction factor of 1.02...so that was around 470.6rwhp and 469.6rwtq.

Tom
Old 10-28-2011, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
I wouldn't be disappointed.

Assuming approximately 15% loss, your car is a 645HP beast!
Torque is still very impressive....

...and all from just a tune.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:00 PM

SL63
Here's the bigger version of the graph. Forum shrunk the other one.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo

No need for disapointment, still a great new motor from AMG & I'm certain free flowing exhaust/hi flo cats/CAI/Dwn Pipes/etc will yield 600+ rwhp 650+ rwtq

I said it on the RENNtech tuned ONLY thread "I'm betting RENNtech used more than 93 Octane to get the results they showed" (RENNtech stated 93 oct tune, I think it really is possible RENNtech tuned w/100+ oct to get those #'s, also considering BOTH baseline Dyno's were pretty close before BOTH tunes on NON Perf Pkg optioned vehicles) Though don't quote me on the last bit as I don't have time to dig up the RENNtech thread and cross refference OLD baseline Dyno #'s before Renn's ECU tune..

Yes, Dynos will vary but the #'s ie 21rwhp 44 rwtq MORE w/renntech's results would easily be replicated if 1 car was tuned for 93 oct vs 100+ I've seen Turbocharged vehicles (my own & others pick-up 20 rwhp from just adding 100+ octane to vehicle & allowing it to adapt to higher octane on it's own ie drive 10-odd miles & re-dyno same day same dyno, also seen plethora of other Turbo cars dyno 20-30 rwp more if tuning for 100+ oct vs 91-93 oct, Turbo app's LOVE race gas period. ..

Supercharged variants do react favorably to race gas too, but not to such a great degree..

Last edited by Thericker; 10-28-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:11 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by Thericker
No need for disapointment, still a great new motor from AMG & I'm certain free flowing exhaust/hi flo cats/CAI/Dwn Pipes/etc will yield 600+ rwhp 650+ rwtq

I said it on the RENNtech tuned ONLY thread "I'm betting RENNtech used more than 93 Octane to get the results they showed" (RENNtech stated 93 oct tune, I think it really is possible RENNtech tuned w/100+ oct to get those #'s, also considering BOTH baseline Dyno's were pretty close before BOTH tunes on NON Perf Pkg optioned vehicles)
That could be. I did specificly ask if it was a 93 tune when I contacted them before I bought it and they said yes. I did put a fresh tank of gas in it before I went over there too since the car had been sitting a while. I sent my results to Renntech and will see what they say.

I was going to go to the track today, but with the last game of the world series on tonight I'm not sure. Since I live here in Dallas if I don't watch it I think they might tar and feather me. If the Rangers hadn't blow it last night...
Old 10-28-2011, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
That could be. I did specificly ask if it was a 93 tune when I contacted them before I bought it and they said yes. I did put a fresh tank of gas in it before I went over there too since the car had been sitting a while. I sent my results to Renntech and will see what they say.

I was going to go to the track today, but with the last game of the world series on tonight I'm not sure. Since I live here in Dallas if I don't watch it I think they might tar and feather me. If the Rangers hadn't blow it last night...

They'd NEVER admit to either adding few gallons of 100+ oct or actually Tuning for 100+ @ this point...Tell ya what, go empty your current tank & refill w/100+ octane drive the vehicle @ least 10-15 miles then re-strapp to that same exact dyo see if you don't pick-up 20 rwhp, if NOT? Have them retune for a 100+ & guaranteed to see 20-30 rwp & about same TQ..

Reason you may NOT be able to pick-up 20 rwhp by just letting car adapt to higher octane vs specifically Tuning for 100+ Your new model has a myriad of differences vs my older v122tt, AMG may have set your engines ability to adapt to higher octane fuels again much differently than us older v12tt's...
Old 10-28-2011, 05:30 PM

C300, Viper RT/10, E55
jumpinjim! great numbers man! for me at least, more important is how it feels on the street.. but your dyno numbers are damn impressive.. like sean said, after some free flow exhaust and intake mods, you'll probably be sitting at 600+ rhwp.. amazing with tune and exhaust work..
how'd she feel after a road test?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:42 PM

SL63
I'm at the track and this is quite lame. The track isn't prepped at all. I'm spinning all the way through 3rd gear. I've never been on such a poorly prepped track. My best 60' is 2.3. Best ET 11.94 and 124.6 trap.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:48 PM

335i
I'm at the track and this is quite lame. The track isn't prepped at all. I'm spinning all the way through 3rd gear. I've never been on such a poorly prepped track. My best 60' is 2.3. Best ET 11.94 and 124.6 trap.
dude considering that 60' time, your numbers are seriously impressive. i wonder whos gonna be the first on this board to run a 10 second CLS
Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Hmm you gave us your BEST #'s from ALL your DIFFERENT runs ie best Trap, best 60', best E/T, it doesn't really tell the entire story as we need to know what your INDIVIDUAL runs showed in each category vs what you listed Trap speed is STOUT!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
When you spin farther down the track...your trap speed will go down. Think about it...if you are in 3rd gear, you are probably travelling near 100mph. At that speed you are going about 147' per second. So if you are spinning for .25s...that translates into about 37' you were not accelerating. That could easily cost you 1-2mph.

Tom
Old 10-30-2011, 10:41 AM

SL63
Hmm you gave us your BEST #'s from ALL your DIFFERENT runs ie best Trap, best 60', best E/T, it doesn't really tell the entire story as we need to know what your INDIVIDUAL runs showed in each category vs what you listed Trap speed is STOUT!
Those were both from my best run actually. It was all downhill from there.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 AM

SL63
Here is my best run. They cut the strips in half when you race someone. I hate that.

Here's a run I did starting in C mode. I wanted to start in 2nd to see if I could minimize wheel spin. I wouldn't recommend that. From the 2-3 shift it just bounced off the rev limiter a couple times and wouldn't go into gear. I had to let off the gas before it would shift.

I also kept getting this after my runs. I've never seen it before. The yellow markers in the mirror would stay yellow. Sometimes if I turned the car off it would go away. Other times not.

Last edited by JumpinJim; 10-30-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 AM

SL63
Here's a vid I took of one of the runs. Watch the tach. It runs up to 4k when the TC ligh starts to flash, drops to 2.5k rpm and sounds like it's shifting but it's not as it's still in 1st, then runs up again still flashing and shifts into 2nd. Sorry about the vid but it's hard to hold a phone while driving. You can see in the vid the car bucking around trying to go but it just won't.

I had a 65 with a mild tune (550 rwhp) that I used to take to the strip and I would run 11.6s on a 1.8 60' on street tires. It was consistenly in the upper half of the 11s and I never had this many problems with it and it had far more TQ than this does. I was running on Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires. Are the Contintal 5Ps just that bad? Was track prep that poor as everyone else seemed to be doing fine? Or maybe with the tune traction control or the tranny are freaking out?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Here's a vid I took of one of the runs. Watch the tach. It runs up to 4k when the TC ligh starts to flash, drops to 2.5k rpm and sounds like it's shifting but it's not as it's still in 1st, then runs up again still flashing and shifts into 2nd. Sorry about the vid but it's hard to hold a phone while driving. You can see in the vid the car bucking around trying to go but it just won't.

I had a 65 with a mild tune (550 rwhp) that I used to take to the strip and I would run 11.6s on a 1.8 60' on street tires. It was consistenly in the upper half of the 11s and I never had this many problems with it and it had far more TQ than this does. I was running on Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires. Are the Contintal 5Ps just that bad? Was track prep that poor as everyone else seemed to be doing fine? Or maybe with the tune traction control or the tranny are freaking out?
This new CLS is equipped with even more pre-safe equipment.

I would suggest you put the car in dyno mode on the track to "shut off" these safety features.

Once your car has any warning lights on it is likely the ECU will restrict power to the wheels. I watched the video and it looks like the transmission is shifting up due to lack of traction, as you continue to go wot it downshifts then up again. Wheel spin kills the run and also confuses the heck out of the tcu.

On a bad traction day stay in 1st but roll the car out vs flooring the pedal. Take off the same way you would if there was an officer directly behind you. Once you are confident the car has hooked then moderately depress.

Thanks for the video and runs in your new CLS, that was brave. I would love to tell you how to dyno mode the car but I dunno yet since I do not have one. Did you run the car in dyno mode on the dyno?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by juicee63
This new CLS is equipped with even more pre-safe equipment.

I would suggest you put the car in dyno mode on the track to "shut off" these safety features.

Once your car has any warning lights on it is likely the ECU will restrict power to the wheels. I watched the video and it looks like the transmission is shifting up due to lack of traction, as you continue to go wot it downshifts then up again. Wheel spin kills the run and also confuses the heck out of the tcu.

On a bad traction day stay in 1st but roll the car out vs flooring the pedal. Take off the same way you would if there was an officer directly behind you. Once you are confident the car has hooked then moderately depress.

Thanks for the video and runs in your new CLS, that was brave. I would love to tell you how to dyno mode the car but I dunno yet since I do not have one. Did you run the car in dyno mode on the dyno?
I actally always had my best run with TC on on my other cars, but TC never behaved so erraticly. I was rolling into it as I had much practice in the 65 doing it, but it wasn't helping much here. The 1-2 shift also caused problems with TC. The tranny here is much more harsh and faster than the old 5 speed. I got 9 runs in trying different things with no luck. It's a shame if there's just that many more nannies here. I also had a heck of a time getting the tires to spin after the water box to burn any water off of them. The 65 with ESP off would spin with ease. This car you have to hold the TC button down to turn it off, don't just hit it as that's sport mode, but it took a lot of coaxing to spin the back tires even then. It's almost like it was going out if its way to annoy me.

Yes it was in dyno mode on the dyno. It's actually easier to get into dyno mode I think than the old ones. Make sure the dash is displaying the odo and turn the car off. Push the start button with your foot off the brake. Wait until the AMG splash screen goes away. Push and hold the call answer button on the steering wheel and then a hair later push and hold the OK button on the steering wheel while still holding the call answer button. Hold them both and a new menu will pop up.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:36 PM

a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
That first drop from 4K to 2.5K on the tach shows how hard the car was trying to hook up.

TC lights constantly flashing at launch.
Electric nanny probably was interfering too much.

I doubt your tune had anything to do with this.
Shifts between gears sounded great.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
All your runs are telling you to put a stickier tire on your car

You're leaving 5 to 6 10ths in your 60 foot alone (your 2.3 vs Renntech 1.8 - and they could even run better if they launched harder or maybe used RaceStart)

The TC is going haywire cuz of the monstrous torque you're making in the basement and breaking your tires every time full boost comes on couple with proably a 1 wheel spin from no LSD from the non-PP

Your stats are saying your car should be side by side with the Renntech CLS...the only difference is the tires

Last edited by callmiro; 10-30-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:40 PM
SGC

2006 CL65

They'd NEVER admit to either adding few gallons of 100+ oct or actually Tuning for 100+ @ this point...Tell ya what, go empty your current tank & refill w/100+ octane drive the vehicle @ least 10-15 miles then re-strapp to that same exact dyo see if you don't pick-up 20 rwhp, if NOT? Have them retune for a 100+ & guaranteed to see 20-30 rwp & about same TQ..

Reason you may NOT be able to pick-up 20 rwhp by just letting car adapt to higher octane vs specifically Tuning for 100+ Your new model has a myriad of differences vs my older v122tt, AMG may have set your engines ability to adapt to higher octane fuels again much differently than us older v12tt's...

JumpinJim,

Great car.

Traction will get you into the low 11s. From personal experience, I know the 2012 CLS63 on stock rubber is hard to launch as throttle response is very sensitive, unlike the many 65s I have owned. Also, I only ran about a 1/2 of a mph faster than you with the RENNtech car in the video (124.36 vs 125.01). The issue is clearly in the 60 foot.

I wouldn't be dissappointed with your dyno #s or listen to the uninformed that want to believe that RENNtech used 100 octane on the dyno of the CLS63 in the video. The uninformed can't help themselves. Different dynos on different days with different correction factors will yield different numbers. Look at the facts, your car picked up huge power, trapped nearly 125 mph and is only being held back by a 2.2 second 60 foot. I look forward to seeing your timeslip after you knock 4 -5 tenths off your 60 foot.

If you trapped 119 mph, then it would be time to be concerned.

Here is the link for comparision:

http://www.roadtesttv.com/hot-news-2...o-road-test-tv

Last edited by SGC; 10-30-2011 at 11:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '12 CLS 63 Baseline Dyno