C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

turbo lag....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Lotus Evora S
I'm not an expert but I don't think that the lag that is discussed above is the turbo per se. It's the lack of immediate throttle response which may have to do with the programming of something. This issue has gone away with my ecu tune. The only situation I can still experience a lag is by flooring it very quickly (I mean a fraction of a second), the engine won't react at all but the tranny will downshift in S+, but this has no practical implication for me.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Obviously a turbo takes time to spool up but those times have been greatly reduced with variable geometry items... there will always be some sort of measurable delay vs a normally aspirated engine. But ECU adjustments can assist here greatly.

I dont really mind any such perceived delay because while there might just be a minute amount felt in regards to delay- the other cars on the street have what we might call "acceleration lag" LOL
Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63 PP, XFR
Vic, how does your M5 feel in terms of the throttle response comapared to our CLS63? Even after the ecu tune, i still feel the delay or the lag when i floor it from standing still...
Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
Originally Posted by Vic55
Obviously a turbo takes time to spool up but those times have been greatly reduced with variable geometry items... there will always be some sort of measurable delay vs a normally aspirated engine. But ECU adjustments can assist here greatly.

I dont really mind any such perceived delay because while there might just be a minute amount felt in regards to delay- the other cars on the street have what we might call "acceleration lag" LOL
LMAO "acceleration lag"!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by shawnha
Vic, how does your M5 feel in terms of the throttle response comapared to our CLS63? Even after the ecu tune, i still feel the delay or the lag when i floor it from standing still...
The M5 has a better response vs the M157 (tuned or not)... this has alot to do with the ECU and its mapping along with the multitude of controls:

True Throttle Control (3 settings)
True Shift Speeds (3 settings)
LSD Control (aka ESP)

And the DCT itself seems to grab quicker thru the gears. BMW has always had the touchiest of throttles IMHO and the M5 with its turbos definitely needs it. I was driving my 997TT around with PDK for about 30 miles and then flipped to the M5--- the M5 is more response; not faster or quicker but the initial surge is more prevalent.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
The M5 has a better response vs the M157 (tuned or not)... this has alot to do with the ECU and its mapping along with the multitude of controls:

True Throttle Control (3 settings)
True Shift Speeds (3 settings)
LSD Control (aka ESP)

And the DCT itself seems to grab quicker thru the gears. BMW has always had the touchiest of throttles IMHO and the M5 with its turbos definitely needs it. I was driving my 997TT around with PDK for about 30 miles and then flipped to the M5--- the M5 is more response; not faster or quicker but the initial surge is more prevalent.
your C63BS is the one i would be getting if i were to get one.(black/no spoiler)

by the way, if you had to give up one of the f10 m5 or the CBS, which would it be?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mainly
your C63BS is the one i would be getting if i were to get one.(black/no spoiler)

by the way, if you had to give up one of the f10 m5 or the CBS, which would it be?

The CBS is the best AMG Ive ever owned (7 total)... but its not a daily driver so if I only had 1 car the M5 would prevail. Its not as fun to drive but its practical and more comfortable.

The CBS has excellent throttle response--- AMG tweaked it right
Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 PM

The CBS is the best AMG Ive ever owned (7 total)... but its not a daily driver so if I only had 1 car the M5 would prevail. Its not as fun to drive but its practical and more comfortable.

The CBS has excellent throttle response--- AMG tweaked it right
wow, not as fun to drive but it woudl still prevail...

why is the CBS not a daily driver? what seats did you get?

obviously the m5 has the better seats.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:11 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015

suspension is stiff, its a track car, that's the whole point to a black series. You would not drive a GT3 RS and call it a daily drive now would you
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Administrator

See below. I dont even have a back seat LOL and the front seats are fine. The suspension is all coilover---its an amazing stiff car but its not an every day amazing car. Its soo not what AMG is about IMHO. AMG is luxury with performance added on.

Originally Posted by Zod
suspension is stiff, its a track car, that's the whole point to a black series. You would not drive a GT3 RS and call it a daily drive now would you
Thank you.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
Originally Posted by Zod
I tried it with a regular GT3, wasn't a DD but I tried to drive it a few times a week. Yeah that didn't work out. Sold it. I can only imagine how rough a RS would have been. Leave the track toys to the track where they belong and not gripe when they're used as something they're not.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Zod
Your a flip flopper arn't you

One day cls63 is da sht, next it crap and M5 is da ****. Now the M5 is not as high and mighty as you had hoped and it's a pana GTS...ow but wait AWD 63 biturbo S

but it is your opinion and your cash to choose on which car to get, so wish you the best which ever way you go

don't mind me
yeah i guess there all the **** in their own ways. but honestly the only thing i miss about the cls is the looks. (and the looks you get)
Old 01-19-2013, 04:14 AM

See below. I dont even have a back seat LOL and the front seats are fine. The suspension is all coilover---its an amazing stiff car but its not an every day amazing car. Its soo not what AMG is about IMHO. AMG is luxury with performance added on.

Thank you.
did you try adjusting the suspension, or would that not make a difference to the ride quality?

have you thought about tuning the CBS?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 AMG GTR
this has alot to do with the ECU and its mapping along with the multitude of controls:

LSD Control (aka ESP)
LSD and ESP are not related at all. ESP grabs brakes and reduces engine power. That has nothing to do with a differential and they do not work remotely in the same way and do not end up with the same result or net effect at all.

ESP causes your car to slow down. It senses wheel speed variations between the four wheels and uses the brakes to equalize them and reduces engine power if necessary. Brakes and less engine power can only equal slower. This is a computer contolled system using existing automotive systems normally used for other actions (stopping and acceleration)

A limited slip differential simply allows power to be delivered to both wheels no matter what the situation is with the car or other wheel(s). Without an LSD if a wheel loses traction, power will be transmitted to it through the path of least resistance causing even more wheelspin. With an LSD, which is a physical mechanical device in the differential (surprise surprise) the power will be transmitted to both wheels (percentage dependent on lsd type and settings/setup) causing some or all of the engine power to be routed to the wheel with traction, propelling the vehicle down the track (or road for most). Basically, anytime you lose traction, this will help you continue to put the power down. It does not straighten out the fishtail (like ESP can do). If you can't put the power down, you are not changing locations (ie, moving forward).