C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

CLS63TT spark plug broke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 CLS63 AMG, 2012 Bentley Cont. GT, 2013 Cayenne Turbo
Hi Ali,
I think I am experiencing the same problem as you.
I have a '12 CLS63 with a Weistec Engineering Tune on it.
at about 2 weeks ago (the car had 3800 miles), my spark plug broke when I was accelerating the car at high speeds (above 100). I took it to the nearest service center (Arcadia SoCal) and they said that it was from cylinder 1, so they changed all of the spark plugs.
2 days after I got my car back, I punched the car again to high speeds, and when I was accelerating, suddenly the car vibrates really hard and the engine light came on (but there was no misfiring). However, the car was actually driveable (with the engine light on) but at only speed below 80 mph. So, I took it to the dealer again, and they couldn't really find the problem. They reseted my ECU and the CEL was gone. Until yesterday, it happened again, when I was accelerating the car. The same **** actually happened all over again. Accelerating above 100, CEL came on, and sudden heavy vibration from the engine everytime I step on the gas.

Anybody has any input to my case and what should I do?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by otherotherbenz
Hi Ali,
I think I am experiencing the same problem as you.
I have a '12 CLS63 with a Weistec Engineering Tune on it.
at about 2 weeks ago (the car had 3800 miles), my spark plug broke when I was accelerating the car at high speeds (above 100). I took it to the nearest service center (Arcadia SoCal) and they said that it was from cylinder 1, so they changed all of the spark plugs.
2 days after I got my car back, I punched the car again to high speeds, and when I was accelerating, suddenly the car vibrates really hard and the engine light came on (but there was no misfiring). However, the car was actually driveable (with the engine light on) but at only speed below 80 mph. So, I took it to the dealer again, and they couldn't really find the problem. They reseted my ECU and the CEL was gone. Until yesterday, it happened again, when I was accelerating the car. The same **** actually happened all over again. Accelerating above 100, CEL came on, and sudden heavy vibration from the engine everytime I step on the gas.

Anybody has any input to my case and what should I do?
Did you try to contact wesitec and let them know of the problem? You know this might be caused by the tune!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
@otherbenz: on the third times, did you actually still have the tune or stock setting on the car?
@dbasson: when i turn my engine, i actually feel unusual vibration, is it better to change the spark plug for safety issue? what spark plug you recommend for this car?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by kohjul
@otherbenz: on the third times, did you actually still have the tune or stock setting on the car?
When I had my spark plugs changed, they actually reseted my ECU to the factory setting and I have not retune the car since then. So, all these happened when my car was at stock ECU
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
Other problems that these new M157 engines have as declared by dealer:

- first year spark production have quality issues.
- all pistons vibrate a bit and there is a new pistons update with diffrent connecting rod that have coating which doesn't make the rod a bit oval shape and the piston doesn't shake ( i saw it by my own eyes )
- fuel issue from the front pump which makes the car starve for fuel @ high speed or WOTs ( maybe this is your case ).

other than that there have been 2 recalls :
1 - passenger side airbag doesn't open to stage 2 in case of strong accidents
2- steering mechanical failure that make the steering wheel havier but drivable.

depends on your VIN.

there are alot Aftermarket Spark plugs i found that fits and manage higher powers + insane boost and colder, step 8 and 9. our stock is step 7 colder.

Last edited by Ali_E55; 10-03-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ali_E55
Other problems that these new M157 engines have as declared by dealer:

- all pistons vibrate a bit and there is a new pistons update with diffrent connecting rod that have coating which doesn't make the rod a bit oval shape and the piston doesn't shake ( i saw it by my own eyes )
- fuel issue from the front pump which makes the car starve for fuel @ high speed or WOTs ( maybe this is your case ).
Thanks for the reply, Ali
I don't really get what do you mean by the fuel from the front pump. So, basically my fuel pump is faulty?
and what is WOT stand for?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the reply, Ali
I don't really get what do you mean by the fuel from the front pump. So, basically my fuel pump is faulty?
and what is WOT stand for?
in our cars there are 2 fuel pumps @ the back with 65PSI and 1 in the front on passnger side 200PSI ( which makes the ticking sound under the hood ), because it is a direct injection engine

your front fuel pump could be fualty or weak.

WOT = Wide Open Throttle, AKA Kick down or Full acceleration
Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 AM

in our cars there are 2 fuel pumps @ the back with 65PSI and 1 in the front on passnger side 200PSI ( which makes the ticking sound under the hood ), because it is a direct injection engine

your front fuel pump could be fualty or weak.

WOT = Wide Open Throttle, AKA Kick down or Full acceleration
I see, so sorry for the noob question
What is your suggestion for my next step?
should talk to my SA about this?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if your plugs are all fine, maybe there was a damage that happened when one of them broke the first time, exhuast valve is open, or injector if not functioning right.

let the dealer check fuel pressure while driving it or check the values @ idle.

it could be one of your blow vlaves, these engines are sensitve, any small failure will make it PITA, my car was drivable when my exhuase valve was broken after i changed the plug, but there is a vibration.

so it depends on how the plug broke ! did something fell inside the engine ?

better to let them do a compression and leak down test if something fell inside.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:26 AM

Red face

if your plugs are all fine, maybe there was a damage that happened when one of them broke the first time, exhuast valve is open, or injector if not functioning right.

let the dealer check fuel pressure while driving it or check the values @ idle.

it could be one of your blow vlaves, these engines are sensitve, any small failure will make it PITA, my car was drivable when my exhuase valve was broken after i changed the plug, but there is a vibration.

so it depends on how the plug broke ! did something fell inside the engine ?

better to let them do a compression and leak down test if something fell inside.
Are we actually able to tell the SA what to do?
Again so sorry for the noob question, I am very new here
Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if they don't know what to do like our SAs LOL to that, yes yo can.

or tell them in a seruios way, if it is not fixed you will return it to them and ask for you money. or replacement.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:12 AM

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kohjul
@dbasson: when i turn my engine, i actually feel unusual vibration, is it better to change the spark plug for safety issue? what spark plug you recommend for this car?
I have the same vibration I am using OEM spark plugs nothing special but that vibration is experienced by almost everyone
Old 10-03-2012, 03:58 PM

AMG
@ali: when i start my car, the steering wheel seems unusual heavier like 15-20% than before but this is happen only sometimes, for the new piston rod, is it require to change that? because i dont think dealer want to change that if there is no serious issue to the engine
and for this one "passenger side airbag doesn't open to stage 2 in case of strong accidents" how do you know if it is a failure or not? because last time my car giving me notice that my passenger airbags is not functioning... and i dont know if this is only in my mind or for real but, when i do kickdown or highspeed travelling, my gas seem so ineffecient at all
Old 10-03-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 Purpose built race car, 2015 CLS 63 S, 2016 GLA45, 2017 GTS
About 6 months ago it was posted that there was a VIN specific recall on plugs. I called my SA and he checked and he said mine were fine. TWO HOURS LATER my car starts to hard idle and a cylinder shuts down. Rolled into the dealer on limp mode. It was the plugs and they changed them out under warrantee. We pulled those plug yesterday and after 7000 miles of hard use with a tune including 100+ degree track days the plugs looked perfect.

The guy who works on my car thinks that the power of these new tunes may be blowing out the spark randomly across the cylinders causing misfires. We were advised to go one step colder and we did...also closed the gap up and we are no longer getting codes and its on the track today being tested. So far so good.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by freefall
About 6 months ago it was posted that there was a VIN specific recall on plugs. I called my SA and he checked and he said mine were fine. TWO HOURS LATER my car starts to hard idle and a cylinder shuts down. Rolled into the dealer on limp mode. It was the plugs and they changed them out under warrantee. We pulled those plug yesterday and after 7000 miles of hard use with a tune including 100+ degree track days the plugs looked perfect.

The guy who works on my car thinks that the power of these new tunes may be blowing out the spark randomly across the cylinders causing misfires. We were advised to go one step colder and we did...also closed the gap up and we are no longer getting codes and its on the track today being tested. So far so good.
Freefall, what brand of spark plugs are you using now? Where can I purchase it and where can I have it installed?
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 E63 AMG

So on the new dealer plugs, were you getting codes and CELs on the Renntech tune? You mention the plugs were perfect after lots of hard driving, but did you have any drivability issues during that time?

Reason I ask is that I will be getting the Renntech tune in the coming weeks and plan to run the stock plugs. I want to be sure I will have no issues doing this.

Last edited by xtyper; 10-03-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by xtyper
So on the new dealer plugs, were you getting codes and CELs on the Renntech tune? You mention the plugs were perfect after lots of hard driving, but did you have any drivability issues during that time?

Reason I ask is that I will be getting the Renntech tune in the coming weeks and plan to run the stock plugs. I want to be sure I will have no issues doing this.
My car ran perfectly with the Renntech tune for about 7000 miles on stock plugs...and like I said when we pulled them out they look at plugs should look...text book. Great increase in power and zero issues. Plug and play brother.

We added downpipes, Renntech's intercooler upgrade, race filters and a ice box intercooler system which is making a huge power difference...air intake temp as low as 60F. It was only after we did all this, and retuned for it, that we changed the plugs. Got the same codes before and after. And they're BMW plugs...like getting a transfusion from the enemy...lol.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 PM

Freefall, what brand of spark plugs are you using now? Where can I purchase it and where can I have it installed?
Thanks!
Other - This isn't any kind of silver bullet for you but a specific recommendation made to me with my set up. If I were you I'd be working with my tuner for a solution.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 PM

Other - This isn't any kind of silver bullet for you but a specific recommendation made to me with my set up. If I were you I'd be working with my tuner for a solution.
The thing is I'm not even sure if I want to retune my car or no. Because I am just traumatized with all these tuning ****s, even though I am not even sure that the tune caused these problems. But thanks for the input brother!

The dealer just called me and said that it was a CEL misfire code, but the misfire only happened once. I told them to run the compression and leak tests but they said that it won't be necessary because there are no codes telling them to run the tests. What do you think?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 PM

I have no idea man. Could just be bad gas too....who knows...so many variables but the gas out here sux big time. I guess you have to trust your dealer though...
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if there was no parts fell inside the engine, than no need to do leak test.

piston and rods update is not required under dealer cost.

they will start giving you truoble after 100k km. and they will slowly scratch and widen the engines bore due of vibration.

nice to know freefall you changed your plugs to colder ones.

how much HP are you making now with your last mods ?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:08 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,859 Posts
2012 CLS63
My car ran perfectly with the Renntech tune for about 7000 miles on stock plugs...and like I said when we pulled them out they look at plugs should look...text book. Great increase in power and zero issues. Plug and play brother.

We added downpipes, Renntech's intercooler upgrade, race filters and a ice box intercooler system which is making a huge power difference...air intake temp as low as 60F. It was only after we did all this, and retuned for it, that we changed the plugs. Got the same codes before and after. And they're BMW plugs...like getting a transfusion from the enemy...lol.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:01 PM

Hi everyone,
Just an update on my car.
So they did the fuel test and it was fine.
I requested them to do the leak down test and the compression test but they refused to do so because there are no CEL Codes telling them to do so.
This morning I got a call from my SA asking me what mods I have done to my car performance wise. I said I only mod the exhaust (resonator delete).
He told me the CEL came on because of the straight pipes because there are no back pressure. Is it true that straight pipes can cause this? or the dealer is just looking where my mistake is?
Thanks
Old 10-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Received 798 Likes on 497 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Hi everyone,
Just an update on my car.
So they did the fuel test and it was fine.
I requested them to do the leak down test and the compression test but they refused to do so because there are no CEL Codes telling them to do so.
This morning I got a call from my SA asking me what mods I have done to my car performance wise. I said I only mod the exhaust (resonator delete).
He told me the CEL came on because of the straight pipes because there are no back pressure. Is it true that straight pipes can cause this? or the dealer is just looking where my mistake is?
Thanks
I ran 2 M157 engines both with no resonators and never once got a CEL. The resonators are "post sensor" so they are blowing smoke....
Old 10-11-2012, 02:53 PM
SPONSOR

C63
The cel should of pointed the dealer in the right direction.

Cat inefficiency codes would dictate an exhaust issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLS63TT spark plug broke