C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Anyone Happy With Third Place?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
That's fine. Each to his own. Even the article mentions the AMG is "unapologetically different from the other two." That's right, AMG is distinctive in its own ways and it's all about brute and raw power like the original Hammer and that is the way I like it. Of course, once MB throws in the DCT for all their AMG's, then it will be interesting.

Originally Posted by Vic55
Did any of you notice that the Audi gets 16.5 inch front rotors!!!!!!!
16.5"...that's truly something. It's bigger than the oem rims of most decades ago cars out there.

Last edited by otakki; 09-15-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
I think in this case the CLS deserved a 3rd place finish. It has a potent powerplant, but that's all it really has going for it. The MCT is old and never was all that great. It's just a modification of the 7g tronic circa 2004 without the torque converter. The tech level in the CLS is also far behind that of BMW and Audi. If you've ever spent any amount of time in either you'd understand how "old" the CLS technology feels. I don't see the facelift next year doing anything about that as it didn't for the E and they share the same platform.

I don't agree with the RS7 having first place. In the only measurable tests it came up 3rd place. It didn't stand out in straight line or handling performance. Only on the subjective tests did it score some points. But this is from C&D that shilled for the S6 in their "exclusive" preview months before anyone else. The same car in production trim that failed to live up to those same lofty expectations and was later shellacked for it's poor performance compared to the cars it supposedly outclassed months earlier.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
JJ, please expand on the "old" technology that the CLS has.
Other than the cool google map of the Audi GPS (and that will cost you $30 internet fee per month), I see little difference with the competition.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by emericr
Other than the cool google map of the Audi GPS (and that will cost you $30 internet fee per month), I see little difference with the competition.
Like I said, you'd need to spend some time with them, not just a short test drive to see what they're capable of. The nav system is only one thing vastly superior. Full color HUD, larger screens, 360 degree cameras, split screen capablity, lcd dash, far more customizable and integrated, etc, etc. The CLS feels like a dinosaur in comparison tech wise, even my new SL feels old in comparison and it's a flagship car.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
I have to agree, the MB telemetrics is old technology, slow and poorly integrated IMO. Heck, to be honest even my Prius is far superior and intuitive, can be learned in minutes without a manual. I've read the MB manual, viewed their videos and I still can't get it to dance. For a top echelon car its an embarrassment.

However I would not buy a car for it's telemetrics. The exterior/interior style, performance, drivability and safety of the CLS63 far outweigh the others. When MB brings their electronics up to par with the rest of the car they will have a finished product.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:18 AM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
I spent alot of time driving the F10 M5. The CLS had me at the exhaust note and muscle car personality, mainly the exhaust crackle in S+ mode. Gadgets in the M5 don't impress me that much. Sure the MCT doesn't shift as fast as the DCT, but it is still the smoother transmission of the two. Especially in stop and go traffic. As far mods go, the other two can't touch it.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
1 question, how can the BMW get second place and it can not run on the autobahn past 250 KPH?

Also, I have a S8, Google maps is useless. MMI system is almost technical overkill. Distronic cruise control sucks too.

Mechanically the car is wonderful autobahn machine. Just do not push the car hard in the corners, it under steers a lot.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
All car maker's oem nav systems suck when compared to gps capabilities from Garmin and TomTom. And oem nav systems suck even more when you compare the price of oem nav systems to top-of-the line offerings from Garmin and TomTom. I just don't get why car makers can't team up with Garmin and TomTom to work on the nav functionalities.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw x3
Originally Posted by otakki
All car maker's oem nav systems suck when compared to gps capabilities from Garmin and TomTom. And oem nav systems suck even more when you compare the price of oem nav systems to top-of-the line offerings from Garmin and TomTom. I just don't get why car makers can't team up with Garmin and TomTom to work on the nav functionalities.
That's not true. The gps of my bmw x3 works very well. It's much better than my friend's Garmin. If two roads are very close together, you can't even distinguish them easily in garmin
Old 09-18-2013, 04:33 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by otakki
Car makers have very long development and testing cycles and models have a life of many years. Even if they did partner it would be outdated before any car left the lot not to mention 4 years later before a refresh showed up.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:40 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by Elliotts550SL
However I would not buy a car for it's telemetrics. The exterior/interior style, performance, drivability and safety of the CLS63 far outweigh the others. When MB brings their electronics up to par with the rest of the car they will have a finished product.
I owned a '12 CLS63 for 2 years before I traded it for the M5. I felt the M had a lot more character than the CLS and with the full leather package was nicer inside too. The technology was just the icing on the cake and I didn't discover most of that until I took the car home and started playing with it.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:01 PM

bmw x3
Originally Posted by JumpinJim
I owned a '12 CLS63 for 2 years before I traded it for the M5. I felt the M had a lot more character than the CLS and with the full leather package was nicer inside too. The technology was just the icing on the cake and I didn't discover most of that until I took the car home and started playing with it.
M5 has HUD, but cls doesn't
cls has DISTRONIC PLUS, but m5 doesn't.

We can't say that M had a lot of more character than cls.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by amg_mag_gma

he has tangible experience called ownership? Do you?

I have owned the CLS and the M--- in fact I dumped the CLS for the M... if character means driveability with chassis feedback, handling, steering and overall more feel; than yes the M to me has more too. I speak from ownership. What does HUD and distronic have to do with character? Those are creature comfort options... (I know he used that analogy but i see driveability as character)

Last edited by Vic55; 09-18-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:06 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by amg_mag_gma

I think you're assuming because I said it deserved a 3rd place finish that I'm saying the CLS is a bad car. That is not the case. It was a great car and I wouldn't have kept it 2 years if it wasn't.

What I am saying is that against the new competition it comes up a little short in some key areas. MB has some work to do in order to bring it up to speed. Things like the transmission and the electronics package for example. These are not as good as its competitors and MB needs to see this so they'll be motivated to make changes.

I'm not some BMW fan, in fact this M5 is the first BMW I've ever bought, but I'd need 3 hands to count the number of AMGs I've had. I guess you could say I was living in a bubble world having driven mostly AMGs for the past decade. Once I got out of it did I realize that MB is behind in some important areas and does need to make improvements. I sold the CLS for the M5 as I felt the driving character was superior, not simply gadgets like the HUD or computer/nav system. Those simply help round out the car and give it a leg up.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:49 PM

bmw x3
Originally Posted by JumpinJim
I think you're assuming because I said it deserved a 3rd place finish that I'm saying the CLS is a bad car. That is not the case. It was a great car and I wouldn't have kept it 2 years if it wasn't.

What I am saying is that against the new competition it comes up a little short in some key areas. MB has some work to do in order to bring it up to speed. Things like the transmission and the electronics package for example. These are not as good as its competitors and MB needs to see this so they'll be motivated to make changes.

I'm not some BMW fan, in fact this M5 is the first BMW I've ever bought, but I'd need 3 hands to count the number of AMGs I've had. I guess you could say I was living in a bubble world having driven mostly AMGs for the past decade. Once I got out of it did I realize that MB is behind in some important areas and does need to make improvements. I sold the CLS for the M5 as I felt the driving character was superior, not simply gadgets like the HUD or computer/nav system. Those simply help round out the car and give it a leg up.
Actually, I also like m5 or m6. But I just ordered a cls, because our place has a lot of snow in winter. If m5 has awd, I will definitely choose it.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:14 AM

If you've ever used BMW idrive or audi mmi you wouldn't be asking this question.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:16 AM

When I stated basically what everyone is saying in this thread just a few months ago this whole board jumped up my *******. Now many of you agree that the audi and Bmw counterparts are superior. Sheesh.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
Well, I have a 2013 S8, and new2014 E63S. Both cars now have tech over kill.
Who needs the Internet in a car. Both cars have it. I guess for people that do not have a smart phone. Neither car can it be used when moving! Audi s MMI screen and GPS maps are better then MB. But MB is simpler to use. Audi s google maps is not really functional as a map. Try to dial a extension on Audi when making a call. You can't, you have do it on the phone. If your not on the phone screen on the Audi, you can not answer. Oh, MB now reads text messages aloud to you. And Audi s distronic cruise control can only be set at 2.5 mph increments, in between speeds you have to time as you accelerate or decelerate. BS.
TQ steer on Audi, is abundant, Barely noticeable on E63S. Not even mentioned in article.
S8 all aluminum chassis is a unique experience thought I must admit.
I drive the Audi S8 as a luxury car, RS7 I have not driven yet. E63S I drive as a sports car.
The problem with these car Mag critics is they do not live with the cars, they just observe.
I can believe the Audi RS7 as number 1, but not the M6 as number 2!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:10 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,417 Likes on 2,856 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by brabus benz
When I stated basically what everyone is saying in this thread just a few months ago this whole board jumped up my *******. Now many of you agree that the audi and Bmw counterparts are superior. Sheesh.
that's board mentality......
Old 09-22-2013, 02:57 AM

I am an Audi fan... always have been. But I have a serious problem with the RS7. 1. It's not the RS6. 2. It's ugly. That rear end looks like it's the lazy end of the car. CLS looks better, and the M6 looks best in my opinion.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:04 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,417 Likes on 2,856 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by neoprufrok
I am an Audi fan... always have been. But I have a serious problem with the RS7. 1. It's not the RS6. 2. It's ugly. That rear end looks like it's the lazy end of the car. CLS looks better, and the M6 looks best in my opinion.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I have an Audi and see no major differences between the 2. In the MB you need to spend some time like changing the map to 3D but I seriously do not see why it would be called inferior. Just a different way of thinking but not inferior once you know how to use it.

Originally Posted by brabus benz
If you've ever used BMW idrive or audi mmi you wouldn't be asking this question.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
The powertrain and chassis sections are virtually equal for the Benz and Audi--- the subjective parts are just that....so drive the cars, and pick what you like as they are all very closely matched.

I dont know what the big cries are here; the Benz killed it in the 0-60 and was equal in the quarter so it wins the mash and go section which is clearly empirical.

Im going to drive this RS7 as soon as it hits ground. Id like to see how a 4400 lb car with 21's really feels.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:59 AM

bmw x3
Originally Posted by Vic55
The powertrain and chassis sections are virtually equal for the Benz and Audi--- the subjective parts are just that....so drive the cars, and pick what you like as they are all very closely matched.

I dont know what the big cries are here; the Benz killed it in the 0-60 and was equal in the quarter so it wins the mash and go section which is clearly empirical.

Im going to drive this RS7 as soon as it hits ground. Id like to see how a 4400 lb car with 21's really feels.
The interesting part is C&D pick the best record of the Audi. I think C&D should pick the average not the best benchmark, if it is really professional.

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/match4585-4677-4476.htm
Old 09-27-2013, 10:02 PM

I have an Audi and see no major differences between the 2. In the MB you need to spend some time like changing the map to 3D but I seriously do not see why it would be called inferior. Just a different way of thinking but not inferior once you know how to use it.
Have you tried giving voice commands between the audi and the merc? On the audi you can just say call so and so and it calls that person or say go home and it maps you home. Try doing the equivalent in the Benz and you have to go through so many cumbersome steps. Try entering an address in the nav with voice command and it takes three times as long in the merc. Not to talk about the tiny screen in the CLS vs the a/s/rs7's pop up screen or the map graphics quality, blah, blah, I could go on and on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Happy With Third Place?