C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

2015 CLS Facelift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLS63-S Model
2015 CLS Facelift

Not sure how reputable these sources are, but I thought I'd post for everyone...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...hots#100436139

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/07/16/s...hooting-brake/

http://mercedesdigest.com/mercedes-w...wing-facelift/
Old 09-16-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
thanks for posting

sounds like a minor facelift and some new technology, all good!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
THANX FOR THE SHARE MAN
Old 09-24-2013, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 783 Likes on 503 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
This is exciting. Not sure about the facelift, but I am very curious to learn about the tech upgrades.

I just ordered my second F10 M5 (which is my third F10 chassis because I had an F10 550i M-Sport as well).

For 2015 I'd love to get a Mercedes with the S-AMG configuration, but I cannot abide the crappy infotainment system with the tiny screen in the current CLS63, as well as lack of up to date features like HUD and surround view cameras. If they move to an S63 style tech setup, then they will win my business for 2015.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:56 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by batman75
This is exciting. Not sure about the facelift, but I am very curious to learn about the tech upgrades.

I just ordered my second F10 M5 (which is my third F10 chassis because I had an F10 550i M-Sport as well).

For 2015 I'd love to get a Mercedes with the S-AMG configuration, but I cannot abide the crappy infotainment system with the tiny screen in the current CLS63, as well as lack of up to date features like HUD and surround view cameras. If they move to an S63 style tech setup, then they will win my business for 2015.
are you driving to watch TV and be infotained? or are you buying for the driving experience?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by hyperion667
are you driving to watch TV and be infotained? or are you buying for the driving experience?
I want a modern up to date car. You may tolerate dark ages technology which makes Jaguar and Lexus look modern, but I don't.

It's not about movies or entertainment. I don't use that content in my car. It's about information conveyed in a more useful and elegant way.

HUD is a must in a car like this. And a larger Nav screen is important because split screen allows you to view more info in a more useable way.

Then there is usability. The current mercedes system was designed by idiots. For example the power button for the radio also switches off the bluetooth. What genius designed that!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with some commenters. For the CLS63.. they should have the most modern tech possible. I'm driving cars for driving, but its not like the CLS63 is a pure track toy. Even then I want some nice infotainment to get me to the track.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:46 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by batman75
I want a modern up to date car. You may tolerate dark ages technology which makes Jaguar and Lexus look modern, but I don't.

It's not about movies or entertainment. I don't use that content in my car. It's about information conveyed in a more useful and elegant way.

HUD is a must in a car like this. And a larger Nav screen is important because split screen allows you to view more info in a more useable way.

Then there is usability. The current mercedes system was designed by idiots. For example the power button for the radio also switches off the bluetooth. What genius designed that!
so essentially you like driving on your phone? having your phone run through your radio? and it's elegant??? LOL.......yes, I love the elegance phone package the new S class has........you don't even need your hands......hell, you don't even need a phone, you just speak directly into
the rearview mirror, and all cars within a 25 meter range can hear you,,,
dark ages tech? that's a good one......yes, I feel so out of sorts in my lack of infotainment and elegant communications system in my BAD *** car....
ever see the screen in those retarded Tesla's? sounds like that is what you'd like.......
what we need are MORE distractions in our cars.....and to be infotained on the entire trip or outing we're on.....or just stay on the phone....

so if you don't use movies or entertainment......what is the information you're referring too???
Old 09-25-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 CLS63
I've never needed too many gimmicks in my car. Completely happy with the 13 cls63 I have.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:23 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Let's compare the difference between a Mercedes and a BMW from an engineering point of view. BMW reinvented twin turbo technology by using a different layout of the chargers and, by doing so, achieved a throttle response only found in naturally aspirated engines. I owned some turbos in the past, this one has by far the best engine characteristics. They also managed to squeeze about the same horsepower out of a much smaller displacement than the Mercedes - 4.4 liter vs. 5.5 liter. The DCT is also lightyears ahead of Mercedes' automatic transmission which makes the whole package way more efficient ... performance is almost identical on both cars ... speaking of dark age technology

The HUD, much improved over the one I had in my E63 M6, is not just an electronic gimmick or distraction ... it's safer, because one has his eyes always on the road. Besides tachometer, gear, speed and speed limit, it also projects the NAV onto the windshield.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot

HUD a must? nonsense.

i for one am not impressed with the HUD in my m5. the last two m5's ive owned had them and i dont think i could see one useful reason for them. they dont show anything that isnt already in the instrument cluster. plus even with the tach display on the HUD being more inline with your field of view i still ALWAYS find myself looking down at the actual tach guage. my eye is just more naturally drawn towads an actual object than a projected digital display thingy. it also doesnt have enough contrast between the value of the current RPM reading and the rest of the guage. much easier just to glance down at the actual guage. the resolution or accuracy of the movement of the digital tach display is also laggy. poorly excecuted really.

Last edited by mainly; 11-02-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by SMP
Let's compare the difference between a Mercedes and a BMW from an engineering point of view. BMW reinvented twin turbo technology by using a different layout of the chargers and, by doing so, achieved a throttle response only found in naturally aspirated engines. I owned some turbos in the past, this one has by far the best engine characteristics. They also managed to squeeze about the same horsepower out of a much smaller displacement than the Mercedes - 4.4 liter vs. 5.5 liter. The DCT is also lightyears ahead of Mercedes' automatic transmission which makes the whole package way more efficient ... performance is almost identical on both cars ... speaking of dark age technology

The HUD, much improved over the one I had in my E63 M6, is not just an electronic gimmick or distraction ... it's safer, because one has his eyes always on the road. Besides tachometer, gear, speed and speed limit, it also projects the NAV onto the windshield.
Have to agree w/you on the HUD Even Chevrolet (Corvettes) has it Why can't MB use this Tech??
Old 11-02-2013, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by mainly
HUD a must? nonsense. i for one am not impressed with the HUD in my m5. the last two m5's ive owned had them and i dont think i could see one useful reason for them. they dont show anything that isnt already in the instrument cluster. plus even with the tach display on the HUD being more inline with your field of view i still ALWAYS find myself looking down at the actual tach guage. my eye is just more naturally drawn towads an actual object than a projected digital display thingy. it also doesnt have enough contrast between the value of the current RPM reading and the rest of the guage. much easier just to glance down at the actual guage. the resolution or accuracy of the movement of the digital tach display is also laggy. poorly excecuted really.
Just because your muscle memory is so old you can't take your eyes off the cluster, doesn't mean others don't adapt to modern technology.

I find HUD vastly superior, and quite frankly I don't think I could drive at high speed with precision and yet glance at the cluster.

We all gravitate to cars which suit out abilities. Sounds like you prefer something more analog and I'm more digital.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
Just because your muscle memory is so old you can't take your eyes off the cluster, doesn't mean others don't adapt to modern technology.

I find HUD vastly superior, and quite frankly I don't think I could drive at high speed with precision and yet glance at the cluster.

We all gravitate to cars which suit out abilities. Sounds like you prefer something more analog and I'm more digital.

And yet *somehow* racers have been driving without this "aid" for the better part of a century now. From karting all the way on up to F1. No HUD anywhere to be seen. And this is done while driving close to 10/10ths 100% of the time they are behind the wheel. How on earth do they manage to do this????

Someone should alert Adrian Newey and Seb Vettel... they could be achieving such greater heights is only they could project data onto his visor.

Good grief. :FP:

A simple glance at the crucial data is all that is needed. It's not complicated. And with enough experience and training it becomes second nature. No different than scanning the mirrors. Maybe with a bit more road time behind the wheel, you'll figure this out too??? Better yet, go do some drive schools. Maybe I'll run into you there and show you how to do it. I enjoy instructing newbs on the basics.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by ace10
And yet *somehow* racers have been driving without this "aid" for the better part of a century now. From karting all the way on up to F1. No HUD anywhere to be seen. And this is done while driving close to 10/10ths 100% of the time they are behind the wheel. How on earth do they manage to do this???? Someone should alert Adrian Newey and Seb Vettel... they could be achieving such greater heights is only they could project data onto his visor. Good grief. :FP: A simple glance at the crucial data is all that is needed. It's not complicated. And with enough experience and training it becomes second nature. No different than scanning the mirrors. Maybe with a bit more road time behind the wheel, you'll figure this out too??? Better yet, go do some drive schools. Maybe I'll run into you there and show you how to do it. I enjoy instructing newbs on the basics.
Since I'm an F1 fanatic as well I can correct your inaccuracies here:

1) first of modern F1 cars have no cluster to glance at. There is no speed limit so what matters most is gear selection and shift lights.
2) If you have ever sat in an F1 car you would know the steering wheel is at the same height as your helmet. And the shift lights are right in front of your eyes. It is very similar to the Hud viewing position and much higher than the viewing position of the cluster in a sports sedan.
3) F1 cars have no sound proofing so they can hear the engine frequency much better than we can. Historically this was used to Drive engine shifting. We could not possibly do that while say listening to music in a sound insulated car.

At 130 mph you can drive 50 meters in one second. At that speed I prefer to have my eyes on the race track, though I understand you think it's okay to glance elsewhere.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:59 AM

Since I'm an F1 fanatic as well I can correct your inaccuracies here:

1) first of modern F1 cars have no cluster to glance at. There is no speed limit so what matters most is gear selection and shift lights.
2) If you have ever sat in an F1 car you would know the steering wheel is at the same height as your helmet. And the shift lights are right in front of your eyes. It is very similar to the Hud viewing position and much higher than the viewing position of the cluster in a sports sedan.
3) F1 cars have no sound proofing so they can hear the engine frequency much better than we can. Historically this was used to Drive engine shifting. We could not possibly do that while say listening to music in a sound insulated car.

At 130 mph you can drive 50 meters in one second. At that speed I prefer to have my eyes on the race track, though I understand you think it's okay to glance elsewhere.
Ummm. OK. Thanks for the lesson. I'm glad that you've sat in an open wheel car. You're the *only* person to have ever done so.

Just to be clear... the wheel is *not* at the "same height" as the driver's helmet. They couldn't see the track surface if that was the case. And the vast majority of wheel-mounted controls are far, far below a driver's line of sight. I mean one has to look waaaay down to manipulate them. Oh the horror.

But you no check your mirrors? You're one of *those* drivers? Oh yes, I see that clearly.... you drive a BMW. Nothing worse than being stuck behind one of them waiting for a point by. Sometimes I wonder if mirrors are optional factory equipment on cars with roundels on the hood.

Please check your mirrors. Mmmmkay?

And, for the record, I can hear the engines in all my cars just fine. Especially because when I'm on the track, the windows are down. By rule. And that's without the manufacturer piping in artificial vroom vroom vroom noises into the cabin.

I suppose that I should impose a speed limit on myself when I'm on the track? I don't have HUD in any of my cars. Oh the horror.

C'mon man. If you're driving marginally above the speed limit on the roads, then you're not driving fast enough to preclude adjusting the radio and making eye contract every now and then while chatting with your passengers. If you're doing hyper-legal speed on public roads with other drivers, then you're being a douche. And the data in your precious HUD is irrelevant. Knowing how fast you're traveling then isn't anything more than a real-time ego-stroke.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
@Ace10 why are you so angry?

I want a HUD and that pisses you off?
Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 AM

@Ace10 why are you so angry?

I want a HUD and that pisses you off?

You insult people who have no need for HUD? You know everything about F1 because you're a super fan?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by ace10
You insult people who have no need for HUD? You know everything about F1 because you're a super fan?
You seem very emotional. My advice is you take automotive debates less personally.

Anyway regardless if what you think, Mercedes seems to think like me or they wouldn't be doing this:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...emplate=mobile

http://www.autoevolution.com/mercede...deo-64688.html
Old 11-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
You seem very emotional. My advice is you take automotive debates less personally. Anyway regardless if what you think, Mercedes seems to think like me or they wouldn't be doing this: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...emplate=mobile http://www.autoevolution.com/mercede...deo-64688.html
A HUD is a great safety feature and i am glad that MB is adding that one as well. Long overdue...
Have it on our 7 series and love it especially for the nav. But as all HUD's go, polarizing sunglasses will render them pretty useless on sunny days.

Re. the BMW tech, it took them 10 years to bring the iDrive from laughing stock to being the defacto benchmark. And yet there is lots to dislike about their lack of high-tech device integration. Still clumsy and distracting in many ways...
Old 11-03-2013, 05:01 PM

You seem very emotional. My advice is you take automotive debates less personally.

Anyway regardless if what you think, Mercedes seems to think like me or they wouldn't be doing this:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...emplate=mobile

http://www.autoevolution.com/mercede...deo-64688.html
Wow. Project and deflect much? I'm angry? I'm emotional? You're too funny.

I'm certain that reading your text messages flashed on the windscreen is an amazing safety advance. And I guess we should remove mirrors while we're reinventing the automobile... no need to have those distracting appendages on a modern auto.

Must. Keep. Eyes. Straight. Ahead. Look. Nowhere. Else.

My offer of some driving instruction stands. If you're on the east coast, just send me a PM. We can set something up when track season starts back up next year. Mirror usage is mandatory and non-negotiable, though.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by Wolfman
But as all HUD's go, polarizing sunglasses will render them pretty useless on sunny days.
After my first experience with polarizing sunglasses a year ago, I can no longer go without them. Thus I will opt for polarizing instead. Still, it's good to have HUD so I can make out a little bit of info here and there.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
HUD is no gimmick IMO, it provides important information without having to look down at the instrument cluster, and I'm glad MB will be bringing it on board in their vehicles.

I also think all cars should have Distronic Plus, Blind Spot Assist and Lane Keeping Assist. This technology really works and prevents accidents.

Last edited by Steinhart; 11-03-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Elliotts550SL
HUD is no gimmick IMO, it provides important information without having to look down at the instrument cluster, and I'm glad MB will be bringing it on board in their vehicles. I also think all cars should have Distronic Plus, Blind Spot Assist and Lane Keeping Assist. This technology really works and prevents accidents.
Agree. The article mentions HUD will be available in the next C Class and in the latest S Class from next fall. I am hoping they have it as well as the latest S class Nav interface on the 2015 CLS too. I can't at and mbrace 2. I drive an E350 often from Hertz at LAX and find it to be a very clunky and distracting interface.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
Originally Posted by SMP

Yes true BMW have provided similar performance output with smaller engine. But we all know M157 will last way way way more milage before any issues in engine or gear due to not squeezing the engine alot. and you can see by tuning both cars to the max. 63TT shows more than 60rwhp and 200rwtq.

for me i see AMGs are faster and comfy with less sproty feeling, while Ms make you feel you are in a sport car and a bit fast with great handling.

to conclude, it depends on how each driver and what he needs from his car. in our place we doun't have curly roads that handling is most wanted option. mosty highway streets and thats why AMGs are winning in Middle East.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 CLS Facelift