C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Exhaust 101

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2014 | 07:05 PM

14 MB CLS63 AMG 'S'
Exhaust 101

Greetings all-

I've recently picked up a new CLS63 'S' model having traded in my 09 C63.

There's no denying a normal aspirated engine will have a deeper growl than the twin turbo, hence my question.

Removing the cats is not an option for me and I've been told the OE exhaust is well built.

With a proper tune and replacing just the downpipes what will this accomplish?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Old 10-27-2014 | 10:37 PM

06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
I would be interested in hearing how you like the new car over the C63.

I have a C63 Coupe P31 and it has proven to be just a little small for me. It is a Pocket Rocket for sure.

I have been looking for something a little bigger. I really love my E55 and actually enjoy it more an the C63.

Anyway, been looking at CLS63s. Seem nice. I test drove and 2014 4Matic S Model today and it broke down during the test drive so I could not get a good feel for the car.

Would love to hear your impressions, likes and dislikes.

Thanks!

G
Old 10-28-2014 | 10:45 PM

C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
Originally Posted by Gadget
I would be interested in hearing how you like the new car over the C63.

I have a C63 Coupe P31 and it has proven to be just a little small for me. It is a Pocket Rocket for sure.

I have been looking for something a little bigger. I really love my E55 and actually enjoy it more an the C63.

Anyway, been looking at CLS63s. Seem nice. I test drove and 2014 4Matic S Model today and it broke down during the test drive so I could not get a good feel for the car.

Would love to hear your impressions, likes and dislikes.

Thanks!

G
I traded my C63 sedan for a 14' CLS63-S and can tell you it's a huge upgrade. The C63 is a fantastic car and I did love throwing it around corners and driving like I stole it. However, the CLS is in another league. The luxury and sport in the CLS is phenomenal. There is nothing like launching the car from 0-60 in 3.2 seconds while getting a massage if you are looking for a car that is fast, luxurious and a knock out in the looks department, then the CLS is for you.

Please tell us more about the car dying on the test drive.
Old 10-28-2014 | 11:27 PM

06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
The car was a 14 4-matic S model with 10,000 miles on it.

It was a rag. The A/C did not work. The engine was filthy. Seat blowers did not seem to be working. Still wanted to drive it.

Got going and put it in S+ mode and nailed it down a long merge ramp and then it stopped accelerating like it was hitting a speed or rev limiter. Then lost power, flashing check engine light, very rough running and kept getting worse and worse. Terrible miss fire going on. I was on I95 N/B N/O the DC Beltway and there was no safe place to pull over. Could bearing keep it going 35-40 MPH.

Finally got to an exit and pulled off to the side. I shut it off for a few minutes and restarted it. The problem seemed to clear, but headed right back to the dealership so I would not get caught waiting for a tow truck.

The car had some bad rumbling from the rear. Also had a howling noise like the rear diff was screwed up. Lots of rattles and sounds like loose stuff in the trunk rolling around, but the trunk was empty and the spare, jack and so on was all secure.

This car was not cared for well for the 10,000 miles of its life.

I do think I like the CLS63, but not that one.

G
Old 10-29-2014 | 11:54 AM

E-Class
Gadget, the CLS you test drove sounds like my 2003 S55 @ 190k miles lol.

MB63, have you consider taking off the mufflers? I know in my 07 S550 it made a loud growl even at idle, became so unbearable that I put in 2 magnaflows to silence it a bit but retained the rumble, although not the AMG rumble I was looking for. Cost me 20 bucks to chop it off, listen and then an additional 100 for piping to the exhaust tips.
Old 11-12-2014 | 10:56 AM

2013 CLS63
Just deleted my reso and i love it. At idle its really no difference, same really when just cruising, but when you let it rip, you can hear a difference. Not huge but enough to know you did something.
Old 11-12-2014 | 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
I also went from a C63 to the CLS and will back up what CED357 said. I do not have an AWD so it takes some finesse punching it from a standstill like the C63 did but with a tune, it is incredibly fast and so much more luxury.
It is not as nimble and you can feel the weight difference but everything else is well worth it.
When you look at the competition, it is also the bargain of the century. I was at the BMW dealership last week and they are proud of their new M6GC. Bloody hell MSRP of $125K for the least expensive one.
Gadget: sounds like you drove one that have been severely abused. Maybe it was tuned and plugs were not changed ??
Related the the exhaust, I did try a few set ups. Removed the resonators and it is the easiest and cheapest mod for an enhanced sound. I then added downpipes with cat delete. That took it to a whole different level sound wise. Power wise it is supposed to add a bit of power but nothing significant enough to justify the price of the expensive downpipes out there.
I since put back the resonators to see what it would do and it is back to being a bit too tame in my opinion (still much louder than stock). I will probably go back to removing the resonator for the ultimate roar. It is still civilized under 2.5K.
My best set up IMHO is a system that would have bypass valves with the OEM catback since I am cheap but I did know find such a system. It looks like the newer models these days have this set up OEM (Jaguar Type F and AMG GT). The Jag set up is perfect and the car for a coupe is pretty special as well but I digress.
Old 04-19-2015 | 11:59 PM

2017 CLS63-S
Originally Posted by dc73
Just deleted my reso and i love it. At idle its really no difference, same really when just cruising, but when you let it rip, you can hear a difference. Not huge but enough to know you did something.
CLS63 AMG Reso Delete - YouTube
Really??? I don't know who did it first - MB or BMW with the Grand Coupe??? Really?? I stopped after hearing that.....