C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

2015 CLS 63 or Panamera GTS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300
2015 CLS 63 or Panamera GTS?

I thought I wanted the CLS 63 for Euro delivery later this year, but drove the Panamera GTS yesterday and I am having second thoughts. Have not been able to test drive a CLS 63 yet, as my two local dealers have not had one in months, so I have to do that. My impression from other experiences on different websites with their biases is that the GTS is the better performer, but the CLS is more luxurious. The 25.4 gallon tank in the GTS gives it 100+ miles more of range, which is a big plus for me since I drive 17-18,000 miles a year and that means about 2-3 days extra before having to stop for gas. On the other hand I put a lot of highway miles and my perception is that the CLS would be a much better highway cruiser. Porsche still charges the 19% VAT for ED, although it is refundable when you return. My configs have the CLS at about $7,500 less than the Panny, slight + for the CLS there. Looking at the preowned market, seems the CLS hold their resale value better, but I may be wrong. Which one has better reliability record? At the end I am torn, maybe once I test drive it I can make up my mind, but was wondering about others that may be/have been in the same conundrum. Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLS63 S-AMG,2015 CLA45 AMG
I was buying a special order red GTS I even put some money down. The day before I go sign papers, I went to a MB dealer just to clear up my mind and I test drove a CLS63 AMG S-Model and that completely changed my mind.

I don't regret it at all.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Google fight gear and watch the Panamera GTS vs CLS. That should tell you which one to buy.
Reminder that the new AWD cars are even quicker now.
If you are OK with tuning, the CLS becomes a competitor to the Turbo for close to half the price.
Good luck with purchase and post pics of either car when you buy your new monster.
I will be selling mine in a few months so if you interested in my color combo, let me know.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I cannot get over the looks of Panamera.... I tried... trust me I tried to like it... I can't. The CLS is not my favorite either but much much better looking than the Porsche. My understanding is that Porsche has always had outstanding reliability over Benz and their quality is superb.

A tuned M157 CLS is a force to be reckoned with... but a non-tuned one is also a ridiculously awesome car
Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E550 Cabriolet, 2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I cannot get over the looks of Panamera.... I tried... trust me I tried to like it... I can't. The CLS is not my favorite either but much much better looking than the Porsche. My understanding is that Porsche has always had outstanding reliability over Benz and their quality is superb.

A tuned M157 CLS is a force to be reckoned with... but a non-tuned one is also a ridiculously awesome car
Agree, the Panny is a very personal taste. One or two angles from the back look bad, all other views are classic Porsche. I have a '14 Cayenne, and frankly my '14 MB E550 Cabriolet is no where near as nice. Both the Cayenne and MB are within a thousand of each others MSRP. If you can deal with the styling, get the Porsche, you won't regret it.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
From a financial perspective, the Benz gives you Panamera Turbo performance for the price of a GTS.
Look is subjective so I did not mention this aspect as you obviously like both. I do too and it was on my shopping list. I was able to get the CLS at a great deal whereas the P dealer wanted MRSP.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
I might be biased, but the Panameras I've experienced (both tuned Turbos) were excellent ... but still quite a bit off the pace from the CLS 63. They didn't respond well to tuning, either, barely getting to 680 HP with an expensive suite of upgrades: http://www.gtspirit.com/2011/06/22/o...sche-panamera/

So, yeah ... CLS.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:42 PM

GLC 300
Great feedback, thanks, I have gotten what I think I needed; validation that I want the CLS. I have had two AMG's (C32 and E63), an M5, two M3's, a 911, a Boxster, and have never done any mods on any of them, but the Renntech ECU mod for the CLS has me intrigued. Do any of you have experience with this? I am a rookie when it comes to mods, I always keep my car stock in part concerned about voiding warranty. There is an intermediate and full ECU Renntech upgrades. Do these void the warranty? Also, can anyone comment on these? The wording (below) makes me concerned the full upgrade would not withstand a harsh New England winter and that the tune could be punishing on driveline components.

About the intermediate update, from the Renntech site:

"This is ideal for customers who want increased performance in their daily driver without worry of extra strain on driveline components or for areas and countries with extreme altitudes, temperatures or fuel quality concerns. "

Or a better question perhaps, where can I find a good primer for a "mod virgin" like myself?

Last edited by neuromb; 03-03-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wanted a Panamera Turbo for about 3 years and was waiting to get financially stable to make the buy. A Friend of mine had a GTS but it just wasnt enough power for me so I never considered it.

Earlier this month After not being able to find a panny turbo on the used market with the options/color bombo I wanted I pulled the trigger on a CLS63 Amg performance package. My car came with the computer already flashed by renntech and wow it moves! I have no regrets over the panny even though it not a direct comparison to the GTS you're looking it.

I kept noticing that because The panameras have dropped in price they are everywhere!! Especially cheap V6 models. It somewhat made me not want the car. CLS63 seemed to me as a better buy... More luxurious and speed.. Not to mention the cls was about 20k cheaper then the panny turbo I was looking at. Ive been lucky to buy a renntech car and have never driven a stock one haha. Just get the CLS63 flash the computer by renntech and have fun. Renntech does not coid the warranty and you can actually locate a benz dealer that may install it. Dont waste your $ on the intermediate tune.. Go full tune and if u dont want to beat on the car just keep your foot of the gas or u can try to do so.. Im sure one tune just provides more boost then the other so if u control your foot u can be ok on the full tune.

Neither tune would hurt the car.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:22 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
tough one.

obviously the cls63s will destroy the panamera in a straight line.

panamera gts probably better sounding though. cls sounds good but just too quiet for me.

looks wise i think its close. i saw a black panamera turbo with black wheels the other day. it was slammed to the ground(they pretty much are from the factory) and it looked badass. it has a presence on the road.

interior is a bit better on any porsche. the interior on my 991 gt3 outshines any interior on any luxury car ive ever had, including f10 m5, cls63, etc)

as well the panamera will have nicer leather than the cls unless you can get the exclusive leather.

Last edited by mainly; 03-04-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

I can't agree with this more, the panamera looks ridiculous to me...a cross between a 911 and cayenne.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:17 AM

GLC 300
As a follow up, ended up test driving CLS 63 and E 63 back to back. Went with my wife, she sat on the rear of the CLS and hated it, also I have issues with the rear end. I did not particularly like the low roofline. Therefore ended up getting the E63 instead, considering the increased headroom, the sitting for 5 useful for the kids and their friends, and 10k less, it was the right choice for me despite knowing the model will change soon. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:29 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,417 Likes on 2,856 Posts
2012 CLS63
E is also a good choice enjoy!
Old 03-30-2015, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
No contest.
CLS63 stock will beat even the Panamera Turbo S in any acceleration test.
Porsche is decent 0-60 and then falls behind, trap speed in a 1/4 mile is about 5mph slower.
GTS is way, way behind performance wise.
MB is also easier on the eyes.