C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

2014 CLS63 AMG S Feels Slow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 CLS63 AMG S
Question 2014 CLS63 AMG S Feels Slow

New owner of '14 CLS63 AMG S, CPO, 15k miles. The car seems to be missing some 'oomph'. I came from a very similarly powered Audi - horsepower should be higher by 40-50 on the CLS - and the CLS just feels like a dog in comparison. Missing a lot of low end giddy up. Engine feels sluggish and doesn't seem to put you back in the seat as much as I would expect for 577 hp. It's quick but it's not fast.

I don't have a Racelogic box so I'm curious to hear your ideas on getting some objective data or things to check for functionality. I considered using the built in lap timer and just trying to press lap upon hitting 60... As far as I know these cars don't have built-in 0-60.

Last edited by quandary; 06-18-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,520 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by quandary
New owner of '14 CLS63 AMG S, CPO, 15k miles. The car seems to be missing some 'oomph'. I came from a very similarly powered Audi - horsepower should be higher by 40-50 on the CLS - and the CLS just feels like a dog in comparison. Missing a lot of low end giddy up. Engine feels sluggish and doesn't seem to put you back in the seat as much as I would expect for 577 hp. It's quick but it's not fast.

I don't have a Racelogic box so I'm curious to hear your ideas on getting some objective data or things to check for functionality. I considered using the built in lap timer and just trying to press lap upon hitting 60... As far as I know these cars don't have built-in 0-60.
First thing you should consider is resetting the transmission control unit, google reset TCU on MBworld.org and see if this gives you the get up and go you're looking for. These AMG cars are dogs out of the hole and I have applied for Sprint booster to my e63S.

Also for the best launch experience you could try race start

Are you riding in S+?
Old 06-18-2016, 07:14 PM

2014 CLS63 AMG S
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
First thing you should consider is resetting the transmission control unit, google reset TCU on MBworld.org and see if this gives you the get up and go you're looking for. These AMG cars are dogs out of the hole and I have applied for Sprint booster to my e63S.

Also for the best launch experience you could try race start

Are you riding in S+?
Good to know about the TCU, thanks very much. I'll try that out. Maybe I'm just not used to the lack of torque and my Audi had more? It was also a twin turbo V8, and the block was smaller (4.0).

I haven't launched the car, I am just referring to general driving when you put the throttle down. The downshift is sluggish and the put-your-***-back-in-the-seat thing doesn't really happen, even at low speeds. It does eventually get going but it seems slow to do so. Reminds me of old Cadillacs! Instead of a BAM here we go, it's more like, whoooooshhhhhhhhh now we're going (5 sec later).

I drive around in C but when I want to have fun I always slide the toggle over to S+. Maybe I baby the car too much. I'll try the TCU reset and driving it a bit harder.

EDIT: For anyone else looking for the trans reset:

Originally Posted by pdjv
With the Keyless Go button inserted:

1) foot off the brake during the whole procedure
2) press the Keyless Go Start button once
3) press the accelerator to the floor and hold for 5 seconds
4) press the Keyless Go Start button twice to turn off the ignition
5) release the gas pedal
6) Wait at least two minutes before starting the car.

The Keyless Go Start button does come out of the ignition switch - it may be a little hard to get out but I was able to pop mine out with a little effort. Then follow the normal procedure:

1) ignition switch to position 1
2) push the gas pedal to the floor and hold for 5 seconds
3) turn the ignition switch to the off (0) position
4) release the gas pedal
5) wait at least two minutes before starting the car.

Last edited by quandary; 06-18-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:40 PM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
Did this help you?

Good to know about the TCU, thanks very much. I'll try that out. Maybe I'm just not used to the lack of torque and my Audi had more? It was also a twin turbo V8, and the block was smaller (4.0).

I haven't launched the car, I am just referring to general driving when you put the throttle down. The downshift is sluggish and the put-your-***-back-in-the-seat thing doesn't really happen, even at low speeds. It does eventually get going but it seems slow to do so. Reminds me of old Cadillacs! Instead of a BAM here we go, it's more like, whoooooshhhhhhhhh now we're going (5 sec later).

I drive around in C but when I want to have fun I always slide the toggle over to S+. Maybe I baby the car too much. I'll try the TCU reset and driving it a bit harder.

EDIT: For anyone else looking for the trans reset:
Old 06-18-2016, 11:42 PM

2014 CLS63 AMG S
Originally Posted by AHI
Did this help you?
Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. I'll report back after changes are made
Old 06-19-2016, 09:18 AM
AHI

AMG GTR
Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. I'll report back after changes are made
I have an RS7 to drive for a week (right now) and it doesn't seem faster than my CLS. I haven't really pushed it at all, but today I'll see.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Audi has an excellent transmission compared to the Benz, and throttle tip in has been described as much better than the benz mct
Old 06-19-2016, 10:21 PM

2014 CLS63 AMG S
Originally Posted by AHI
I have an RS7 to drive for a week (right now) and it doesn't seem faster than my CLS. I haven't really pushed it at all, but today I'll see.
Well your CLS is stage 2 so I'm not sure that is a fair comparison here

Performed the reset today and drove about 5 miles (not too far). It seems about 50% more responsive although there is still some sluggishness as previously mentioned. May just be the way the natural behavior of the transmission. The issue is general sluggish transmission response unless you really floor it - the accelerator pedal seems to have no difference in response from between 5-40% throttle. After that it usually kicks hard but that is not always desirable. Until nearly halfway of pedal depression, nobody is home. Perhaps I am still getting the pedal feel for the car but my findings are that the trans is reluctant to respond unless you are flooring it.

I will continue to monitor.

Last edited by quandary; 06-19-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Performed the reset today and drove about 5 miles (not too far). It seems about 50% more responsive although there is still some sluggishness as previously mentioned. May just be the way the natural behavior of the transmission. The issue is general sluggish transmission response unless you really floor it - the accelerator pedal seems to have no difference in response from between 5-40% throttle. After that it usually kicks hard but that is not always desirable. Until nearly halfway of pedal depression, nobody is home. Perhaps I am still getting the pedal feel for the car but my findings are that the trans is reluctant to respond unless you are flooring it.

You need a sprintbooster

You are describing a well known characteristic of the throttle and relationship with the mct
Old 06-20-2016, 09:11 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015

i do not understand how you guys do not use the paddle shifters...

You want more oomph, just down shift with the paddle simple. It will change the throttle feel as you describe it, as you are most likely in a higher gear, which will have a lot more sluggish feel to it as you described.

Example you are cruising at 40 in 6th gear. Of course you will heave a semi sluggish peddle, as you are driving in a semi eco fuel saving setting and out of power band. especially in C mode

either down shift a few times to get what your looking for by clicking the shifter a few times, or hold it and it will give you the most optimal gear for power
Old 06-20-2016, 12:09 PM

2014 CLS63 AMG S
You need a sprintbooster

You are describing a well known characteristic of the throttle and relationship with the mct
Hmm if the trans doesn't become more responsive with more learning and Zod's suggestion is not successful, I'll try the sprintbooster. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Zod
i do not understand how you guys do not use the paddle shifters...

You want more oomph, just down shift with the paddle simple. It will change the throttle feel as you describe it, as you are most likely in a higher gear, which will have a lot more sluggish feel to it as you described.

Example you are cruising at 40 in 6th gear. Of course you will heave a semi sluggish peddle, as you are driving in a semi eco fuel saving setting and out of power band. especially in C mode

either down shift a few times to get what your looking for by clicking the shifter a few times, or hold it and it will give you the most optimal gear for power
I always toggle to S+ mode before I demand sizeable power from the car. In S+ it should be auto-downshifting, the same thing holding the paddles does, right? I'll try holding the downshift paddle and seeing how that improves things - wasn't aware of that feature. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2016, 11:00 PM
AHI

AMG GTR
The RS7 I'm driving has a very aggressive 650hp Eurocharged file in it too. It's fast AF, but I'm not convinced it's quicker.

Having this car for a few days now, makes me really appreciate the little things I took for granted on the Benz. For example, if the Audi is on, and you wanted to put something in the trunk, you cannot use the key, or the latch... You have to physically walk back to drivers side and push the button. Volume button is so sensitive, camera quality is horrid, no safety tech like lane assist, or distronic. Engine noise is also not so nice, needs more oomph.

The transmissions is AMAZING. The HK stereo is leaps and bounds better than the CLS.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS63 S
New owner of '14 CLS63 AMG S, CPO, 15k miles. The car seems to be missing some 'oomph'.
I came from the twin turbo V10 RS6 and thought the same thing, although my CLS63 S is RWD which also doesn't help. However, I tuned it and put in turbo-back downpipes and it made a big difference. I think that if I now get stickier tyres it may well be the faster of the two, I will do some Vbox measurements and will let you know as soon as I get the new tyres.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:51 PM

2014 CLS63 AMG S
I added a SprintBooster and it helped the responsiveness tremendously. The top end of the RPM band is still a bit lacking under 60mph IMO for it being 577 hp, but it's still a very quick car.

@Pumpkinate - tuning is out of the question for me. I'm not in a position to potentially eat exorbitant repair bills because I voided the warranty. Been there, done that, not again! These cars are just too expensive to have done on them. I lack the time and mechanical know-how to do the work myself.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 CLS63 PP, Renntech
Many people on these forums with a tune and have factory warranty
Old 07-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by LaunchPad
Many people on these forums with a tune and have factory warranty
....until they have to use the warranty and it's denied because of a tune
Old 07-12-2016, 10:15 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
I think this is why I didn't tune mine, expecially now that it's on ELW
Old 07-12-2016, 11:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 CLS63 PP, Renntech
Some dealers sale Renntech. So I know at least those shops would do warranty work with that tune.

....until they have to use the warranty and it's denied because of a tune
Old 08-13-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 S550 + 2014 CLS63 + 1993 300zx TT + 2014 Pathfinder + 2013 Hyundai Sanata
Originally Posted by LaunchPad
Some dealers sale Renntech. So I know at least those shops would do warranty work with that tune.
The reason Renntech doesn't void the warranty is because the owner was previously the lead engineer for AMG. I had my entire R1 package put on my car at the Mercedes Benz of Buckhead and the warranty is still a win with 700hp.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 S550 + 2014 CLS63 + 1993 300zx TT + 2014 Pathfinder + 2013 Hyundai Sanata
[QUOTE=quandary;6836626]New owner of '14 CLS63 AMG S, CPO, 15k miles. The car seems to be missing some 'oomph'. I came from a very similarly powered Audi - horsepower should be higher by 40-50 on the CLS - and the CLS just feels like a dog in comparison. Missing a lot of low end giddy up. Engine feels sluggish and doesn't seem to put you back in the seat as much as I would expect for 577 hp. It's quick but it's not fast.

I don't have a Racelogic box so I'm curious to hear your ideas on getting some objective data or things to check for functionality. I considered using the built in lap timer and just trying to press lap upon hitting 60... As far as I know these cars don't have built-in 0-60.[/QUOTE

These are the things that I noticed about my CLS63 2014 with Renntech R1 pkg. The (3x) problems are the acceleration, the TCU, and the cooling. Even with my ECU upgrade the transmission shifting and power is addressed but the other problems remain.I'm investing in a pedal box MOD and water methanol MOD to remedy this. The result will be consistant performance without heat soaking and instant gratification at the gas pedal. If you are tracking like me you don't have time to be messing around with the launch control system. It takes an act of congress to engage which is unpractical for its functionality. I have a gang of power that can't be applied properly to the ground because of poor engineering and programming of the ECU. I actually shouldn't say that because MB put these settings in place as a fail safe to protect the transmission from applying 600+ lbs of torque and 600+ hp to the tranny.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 AMG P30
RENNtech FTW. Keeps your warranty in-tact with tune. They also offer a custom file for the transmission, must be installed in person at their facility though. Another thing you might want to consider is your traction control may be kicking in. It can feel like the transmission isn't responsive or turbo spooling up, but sometimes it's just the vehicle attempting to manage wheel spin which is slowing you down. Might look into diff tires.

Last edited by M66M; 10-07-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W222 S550, W218 CLS63, W166 ML550, Titan, Sentra
My 2012 PP felt like that too but after stage 2 EC tune, Its night and day. Throttle response was immediately even with stage 1 tune. The transmission is lacking precision tho. Even tho I’ve never driven M5/M6 or RS7, I can tell it’s not quite there. The SprintBooster should help but a tune will get you that oooomph you want