Discrepancy in HP numbers from tuners.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 07:56 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
Discrepancy in HP numbers from tuners.

So,

My car is currently tuned with a Eurocharged stage 1 tune which should be producing around 668HP at the crank or less due to being an old tune from the previous owner. The car also has a full FI exhaust with catless downpipes so I am looking to retune to a stage 2. I've looked into some local tuners like DME and also others across the country that sell the handheld OBD version as well like Weistec, SSR, and Eurocharged. However, I don't understand why there is such a huge discrepancy in the numbers tuners are getting from stage 2 tunes also not to mention the price.

SSR with the highest I've seen for stage 2 is claiming 802HP or +244HP increase at the crank for 2,300, but I believe is bench flash only. Weistec at the second spot is offering a +211HP increase up to around 760HP at the crank for 2,000. These two seem to be offering great numbers for the price, but then you look at Eurocharged which is offering +120HP at the crank for stage 2 which would put it at around 697HP at the crank or +29HP more than what I likely have for 2,000. Lastly, DME a very popular option in the Tri-State area is offering stage 2 producing 685HP at the crank for 2500! and only a +127HP increase.

Why do these numbers for a stage 2 tune seem to be all over the place? Why choose DME over Weistec when HP gained is 40% less and the price is 20% more?

Thoughts?
Old 05-31-2020, 10:25 AM

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts
CLS 63 and M4
Originally Posted by xEryx
So,

My car is currently tuned with a Eurocharged stage 1 tune which should be producing around 668HP at the crank or less due to being an old tune from the previous owner. The car also has a full FI exhaust with catless downpipes so I am looking to retune to a stage 2. I've looked into some local tuners like DME and also others across the country that sell the handheld OBD version as well like Weistec, SSR, and Eurocharged. However, I don't understand why there is such a huge discrepancy in the numbers tuners are getting from stage 2 tunes also not to mention the price.

SSR with the highest I've seen for stage 2 is claiming 802HP or +244HP increase at the crank for 2,300, but I believe is bench flash only. Weistec at the second spot is offering a +211HP increase up to around 760HP at the crank for 2,000. These two seem to be offering great numbers for the price, but then you look at Eurocharged which is offering +120HP at the crank for stage 2 which would put it at around 697HP at the crank or +29HP more than what I likely have for 2,000. Lastly, DME a very popular option in the Tri-State area is offering stage 2 producing 685HP at the crank for 2500! and only a +127HP increase.

Why do these numbers for a stage 2 tune seem to be all over the place? Why choose DME over Weistec when HP gained is 40% less and the price is 20% more?

Thoughts?
Each company decides what their ‘Stage 2’ is. That’s why you see the discrepancy because the tunes are all different. A double cheeseburger from McDonalds isn’t the same as a double cheeseburger from Shake Shack...even tho they share a lot of similar ingredients.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by 1MavRick
Each company decides what their ‘Stage 2’ is. That’s why you see the discrepancy because the tunes are all different. A double cheeseburger from McDonalds isn’t the same as a double cheeseburger from Shake Shack...even tho they share a lot of similar ingredients.
To expand on this further, each tune is going to have a lot of nuance to it. There are a lot of different factors to calculate; fuel, boost, timing and the quality of the tune. DME is expensive but goddamn they are good. Eurocharged has a fantastic reputation and great customer service. The other thing to consider, is that your stock TCU is going to be fighting your ECU a lot more, the more power you’re making. Basically very little of that maximum horsepower will be on display for the first three gears. Best stock turbo results I am seeing right now are the combination of Eurocharged’s stage 2 software, catless downpipes, and their TCU tune.